Talk me out of buying this 3rd Power Citizen Gain CSR

Matt300ZXT

I've come across a used one that appears to have all the bells and whistles. The reverb, the full size amp (not the itty bitty ones I've seen), likely the 40 watt version, and clean. Waiting on the serial # so I can email 3rd Power and see if it's a stocker or if they did anything fancy to it but I wanted an HD100 forever and now I can't find them and I figure this is the closest thing to it for hotrodded Marshall goodness, but it's going to likely set me back around $1600 or so by the time everything is said and done...so, someone talk me out of it lol

I never ever get to turn my Superdrive 45 up to any sort of decent volume but I hear sooooo many good things about the master volume on these 3rd Powers so I figure it's gotta be great, even at bedroom volume.

I can't speak to that but have you considered getting an attenuator for your Budda? Those are some loud amps for sure but they can be tamed.

Sorry I can't talk you out of it... the Citizen Gain amps are pretty awesome sounding. I also thought the Morris amps are killer Marshall as well.

Have you looked into Landry G3 amps? really killer Marshall tone there.

Buy it.
This might still be the best NAMM amp demo I've ever heard on YouTube.
Dylana is a genius.

Amp Demo:

Full Video:

I've yet to try one but I've heard from many whose ears I trust that the tone is killer, and the MV may be the best in the business.

I second the notion on trying an attenuator for the Budda first. They are great amps and a good attenuator will do the trick nicely.

I'm not familiar w the citizen gain, but you may want to check out the Morris 69/70' amp. Raw Marshall sound w great master volume. This amp has me very interested...

I'm not familiar w the citizen gain, but you may want to check out the Morris 69/70' amp. Raw Marshall sound w great master volume. This amp has me very interested...

For old school Marshall a used Germino would be a safe bet too. Greg Germino knows more about Marshalls
than anyone on the planet! Cool guy too.

Last edited:
I played an older 3rd Power British-style amp and was pretty meh IMHO. Didn't have the character or warmth of a JMP to me at any volume. Maybe they've improved.

I played an older 3rd Power British-style amp and was pretty meh IMHO. Didn't have the character or warmth of a JMP to me at any volume. Maybe they've improved.
This is usually the case 99.9% of the time with recent made amps going for a Marshall sound. Much better to just get the real deal imo. I’ve played also those Landry’s and Germino’s that were recommend here too (and all the others) and again no reason to get them imo over a good stock vintage jmp with a boost or an old superlead of course

To the OP, if you want a great master volume and sort of a Marshall sound, but still kinda it’s own thing, I’d recommend a Naylor. It’s one of my top 5 favorite amps I have, great MV and I actually like it more than my ‘79 JMP2203, but keeping it too. Although I’ve not tried yet any 3rd Power amps, I’d still bet money that it would wipe the floor with them, especially after hearing the clips. There’s a good chance it would also send the Budda packing

This is usually the case 99.9% of the time with recent made amps going for a Marshall sound. Much better to just get the real deal imo. I’ve played also those Landry’s and Germino’s that were recommend here too (and all the others) and again no reason to get them imo over a good stock vintage jmp with a boost or an old superlead of course

To the OP, if you want a great master volume and sort of a Marshall sound, but still kinda it’s own thing, I’d recommend a Naylor. It’s one of my top 5 favorite amps I have, great MV and I actually like it more than my ‘79 JMP2203, but keeping it too. Although I’ve not tried yet any 3rd Power amps, I’d still bet money that it would wipe the floor with them, especially after hearing the clips. There’s a good chance it would also send the Budda packing
Yeah, sitting right next to the 3rd Power was a Deliverance D120. Holy smokes the D120 was bad ass.

If I were going to get a non-Marshall/Recto/Mark amp, the D120 would be it. Could do sorta a JMP tone but then could go way, way more modern an heavy.

Yeah, sitting right next to the 3rd Power was a Deliverance D120. Holy smokes the D120 was bad ass.

If I were going to get a non-Marshall/Recto/Mark amp, the D120 would be it. Could do sorta a JMP tone but then could go way, way more modern an heavy.
Yeah the Deliverance is a nice amp and lotta tone for the money, but I’ve always found those amps to have an inherent brittleness to the tone that I didn’t like. The non-Marshall/Recto/Mark amps ive kept are my CCV, Blueface and Wizard, although I guess those latter 2 still have Marshall-y qualities in them. Hard to find an amp that really sounds great and not in one of those 3 camps haha

Actually another great option for the OP besides the Naylor would be a Reason SM50 if you can find one (they’re discontinued). They’re quite affordable and have perhaps the best master volume of any amp I’ve tried. Again Marshall-y with still its own thing going on

EDIT: I forgot not all Reason SM50's have master volumes, but mine does and like I said its great. I almost even prefer its tone at lower volumes

Last edited:
Keep poking. I'm in a great mood for poking. I never take shit from anyone. Look at my posts. I'd rather get banned than back down to someone who fucking thinks they're the man.

Well now, I've got some advice for you, little buddy, before you point your finger you should know that I'm the man! I'm the man and you're the man and he's the man as well so you can point that fucking finger up your ass!

Keep poking. I'm in a great mood for poking. I never take shit from anyone. Look at my posts. I'd rather get banned than back down to someone who fucking thinks they're the man.

Well now, I've got some advice for you, little buddy, before you point your finger you should know that I'm the man! I'm the man and you're the man and he's the man as well so you can point that fucking finger up your ass!
Yeah, you’re the man. You’ll be “the man with tits” if you take your obviously much needed prescribed meds. :loco:

Back