Taming an EVH Stealth 100

JerEvil

So I both love and hate my Stealth 100 6L6.

I asked James brown and this was his response on taming it a bit. I’ll ask him for sure but wondering how many and which spots?

I know V2 - 5 are for the red channel, v4 is the green and V6 is the blue.

I’d like to just knock the gain down like 10% and make it a bit more usable. Has anyone done this? Thoughts? What did you use?

Attachments

• IMG_3206.png
    IMG_3206.png
    588 KB · Views: 130
I have always used specifically Baldwin au7s for this specific purpose - whenever one of my clients wants less fizz and more control on a 5150 of any kind

They seem to work great for this purpose

James is right, a 12AU7 or 12AT7 in the right spots would help reduce gain and bring some clarity. I would do that.

So,
Your wanting the thickness of the gain turned up but less saturated?

I turn down the gain to 9 oclock on the Red channel but it looses girth.

Baldwin AU7's?
Where are those hiding

So,

Baldwin AU7's?
Where are those hiding
I use a gate to use channel 3 exactly how I want . Amps like chsnnel 3 are totally useable with the right gating . What people hate about gates are perfect for this use . I actually have se chsnnel 3 with a gate and get supper thick and super tight Fear Factory type tones .

I have the 50watt version so I know it is a bit different but once I did a bias, the gain is perfect for me and sounds great. I usually have the blue channel at noon or so with or without a boost. I could dime it and would still sound good but I think going past 2 o'clock is not necessary.

Red channel I have at about 10 o'clock. That one, on all of the amps, kind of gets unruly early. I know they tweaked this a bit over the years but even as a high gain guy l, I don't understand why they felt the need to have so much gain.

I'm laughing at myself here because I bought a brand-new Fortin Zuul+ and never took it out of the box.
(Forgot I bought it) What a dumb ass :loco:

Gate the Beast as TECHDETH sez.
If amp seems to be to gainy the gate reins it in . Allows you e make too much gain usable . Helps you get the full tonal options of the amp at its glorious richest point while being perfectly tight and usable

I have the 50watt version so I know it is a bit different but once I did a bias, the gain is perfect for me and sounds great. I usually have the blue channel at noon or so with or without a boost. I could dime it and would still sound good but I think going past 2 o'clock is not necessary.

Red channel I have at about 10 o'clock. That one, on all of the amps, kind of gets unruly early. I know they tweaked this a bit over the years but even as a high gain guy l, I don't understand why they felt the need to have so much gain.
I completely agree with what you are saying about the 50 watt version! I play thrash metal, so I tend to go for 2 o'clock on the blue channel boosted. I feel like between 10 and 11 o'clock is the sweet spot for the red channel.

I completely agree with what you are saying about the 50 watt version! I play thrash metal, so I tend to go for 2 o'clock on the blue channel boosted. I feel like between 10 and 11 o'clock is the sweet spot for the red channel.
It is weird because most people with other amps, like the 100 watt version much more but with the EVH 6L6, there are a lot of people.who really dig the tone. I know when I got mine, I was sold!

In V1 or another slot?

I think it was V3. It was the middle gain stages.

I have tried doing the first tube in other amps and usually didn't like the result. Always made them feel too wimpy. Doing the middle gain stages on the XXX worked well though because it didn't really change the power of the gain, just made it less drastic as quickly.

Well if you want to get under the hood, R29 is making the amp tighter the higher the gain control is set. Same as the 5152.
Compare to the 5150 which has R29 connected between the wiper and pot input instead of ground which does the opposite, makes the amp looser the higher the gain is turned up. I'd try without R29 and connected to the input instead.
I like my Stealth100 the way it is...
1699925368876.png

V4 and V5 are the latter stages of channel 3. Try tube swapping either of those.
V1 as well but channel 1 and 2 share that.

So,

Baldwin AU7's?
Where are those hiding

If you want a couple, ill send you some

They're honestly pretty cheap

But I hoarded massive amounts of Baldwin tubes through obsessive organ harvesting throughout the years

Back