That one Sails of Charon lick as taught by Uli

Such a unique player with a great vibrato. There are better technical players but from a composition perspective and his vibe, so unique. He was also one of the first with that classical/eastern thing going on so think of the influence he had on other great players. I love these old cats. We've all busted a nut over EVH and rightfully so but there are so many awesome players that came before as well. ( Schenker too! Never miss a chance to bring him up)

I saw him in PDX pre covid and he had a bunch of young kids playing with him, like frighteningly badass players....other guitar player doubled up thus solo note and feel perfect, it was ridiculous
I saw that tour as well. Pretty cool sorta. The tour where he had Mark B singing and the full band was my favorite show to see…met him after and he asked how I liked the show…told him it was great but you play loud. 😁 He didnt know what to think on that one.

I saw him when I was 15 with a fake ID at L'amour in Brooklyn. Eagle feather hanging in his hair and his white strat. That was my first experience with stacks of Marshalls cranked all to hell in a live band. I was blown away! Polar Nights was incredible being 10 feet away and soooo loud. One of the best shows I've ever seen. Ears rang for days.

I watched this ten thousand times, did anyone know you can slow it down to 3/4 speed in the playback settings and get more from this megapost??!!

The best part is how he has a swing in his attack...like all the best players have. He also has a ton of accents and slight bends that add to his style.

Last edited:
I watched this ten thousand times, did anyone know you can slow it down to 3/4 speed in the playback settings and get more from this megapost??!!

The best part is how he has a swing in his attack...like all the best players have. He also has a ton of accents and slight bends that add to his style.
I've been using half speed to learn stuff on YouTube for years. Since it retains the pitch it's so easy to figure stuff out. Any good video is now a lesson. (y)

Back