the 90's were so awesome

The 90’s are my favorite era of music, but not ‘cuz Limp Bizkit.

I was in 4th grade when some kid came out and danced to the Spin Doctor’s “Two Princes” at a school talent show and I thought the song was so cool I started watching MTV to hear it again, that was right before I started playing guitar a year later and it all hit at once, me defining my own listening tastes and the whole explosion of STP, AIC, Weezer, Soundgarden, Nirvana, etc.

Sure, it would have been a lot cooler from a guitar perspective if that happened in the 80’s instead of the 90’s for me, but I’ve got no complaints. I love all the 80’s shit, too, but the stuff that makes me snort rails of nostalgia all happened in the 90’s.

what a time to be alive. some of the best music ever. what fun

ZLVj6DD.jpg

watch the movie "Dazed and Confused" and tell the 70's didn't rule for rock. the 80's for me is a split, some of the hair metal is actually pretty good , most of it was a joke, the 90's to me was the decade of whining. life sucks I'm so sad blah blah blah, but it did give us Soundgarden and Alice in chains, so it wasn't all bad. the cookie monster growling just kills a lot for very creative ripping metal for me. I can't stand it , talk about sounding like a parody , I mean even Jim Carrey makes fun of it in pet Detective with Cannibal corpse on stage LOL! and since the year 2000 we got very little metal that doesn't have that god awful "vocal style" :(
to the OP , I hope he is joking about Limp Bizkit

80s was the golden era. No question. If you were raised in the 80s, the mid- to late 90s bands sucked all the fun out of the room. MTV went from airing music videos to Real World and Yo MTV Raps.

I recall seeing Satriani in Austin in 1995. Chris Duarte opened. Satriani came out surprisingly bald and his new album was jammy downer music, which fit right in with everything else in the genre. Poor me, everything is so sad now, bleh. A distant departure from The Extremist album. Because that’s what you had to do commercially at the time. Def Leppard admitted to selling out in a MTV fan forum interview right after Slang came out. We can talk Load and Reload, I could go all day.

There is a reason why 80s era bands don’t play a lot of songs in concert nowadays from after 1993-ish.

But looking back now, we got STP, Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog, Filter, Toadies. One could argue it really went in the gutter when Boy Bands appeared….

I should love the 90s because that was my 20s and yes, the early 90s music was so good. So much of the late 80’s rock had gotten very stale and lame but we also had Slayer and Metallica just tearing shit up, so life was good. But it just went downhill quickly after 93. Plus, people just got depressing. Girls started looking a lot worse, dressed down, dark make up, shitty attitudes. Mid to late 90s was terrible in music and people.

Some of the worst haircuts a white man could have, happened in the 90’s…lol
From, I’m a sensitive, all one length to my collar rocker to bowl cut, gelled down, bleached I’m a rapper now with my ball bearing, choker chain.

We also got the heinous explosion of reality TV. 🤮

Last edited:
I used to look in my chest of drawers and see a whole pull out dedicated to white and black wife beaters and probably had 4-5 pairs of Dickies and Ben Davis pants…my hair wasn’t its natural color for 5 years and I had graduated to the snobbery of salon grade pomade. Murray’s was for losers who needed a solvent to get it off….it was a dark time

Between the 80's and 90's, would be the 80's for me. Discovering every new gunslinger was like a kid in a candy shop. Album after album of guitar goodness.

However I loved the 90's as well, in fact as a guitarist it was challenging for me because if you wanted to stay current you had to incorporate what was happening. I actually felt I became a more complete guitarist because of the 90's. AIC, STP, Soundgarden etc... was a whole new way of approaching things on the guitar.

70's though, it's really my bread and butter and my foundation as a guitarist as most of my favorite bands are straight up 70's rockers. Thin Lizzy, Queen, Kiss, Journey, Cheap Trick etc... it's what I always come back too.

Really wasn't into the "Nu Metal" thing, but the mid-90's changed the course of (my type) metal in some really interesting and exciting ways:

Entombed - Wolverine Blues
Carcass - Heartwork
Sepultura - Chaos A.D.
Machine Head - Burn My Eyes
At The Gates - Slaughter Of The Soul
Faith No More - Angel Dust
Paradise Lost - Draconian Times
Pantera - Far Beyond Driven
Fear Factory - Demanufacture
Ministry - Psalm 69
AIC - Dirt
Tool - Undertow

Just to name a few....amazing.

Last edited:
I loved the 90s. I was too young to know anything else, but they were certainly better than the 2000s.

For me 90s music was The Gin Blossoms and The President of The USA. No Doubt and Sublime, etc.
Fun music that covered a huge amount of genres

People are going to be mostly partial to whatever decade they lived their teen years in. I can look back fondly on the 90s, but if I had a choice I would’ve loved to have been of age when all the bands in the 70s were doing their thing.

To me, the 90s marked the end of rock n roll. The music became way less fun and the musicianship turned and went backwards. Such are the movements in any art form I suppose, but the fun never came back. Instead of writing cool tunes with great hooks and killer playing about fun stuff, Grunge was all about the downside of life to me. I hate Pearl Jam and was dismayed when they broke big. When Metallica came out with Enter Sandman at the MTV music awards I knew it was over. So disappointing and it never recovered. Numetal was straight up garbage. There was station here and that was all they played. Hot garbage music.

Back