the 90's were so awesome

That is a killer riff! Ima go ahead and say that you’re being serious about this one, but you’re fucking with us with the Nookie tune in the 90’s thread. Hahahaha

i remember watching this live and getting on AOL and asking my friends if they saw how much ass they kicked with their two channel Rectos and that classic 90s piccolo snare. i watched some compilation of people talking shit about limp bizkit ill try and find, zakk and kerry were bitching they sucked :LOL:

i remember watching this live and getting on AOL and asking my friends if they saw how much ass they kicked with their two channel Rectos and that classic 90s piccolo snare. i watched some compilation of people talking shit about limp bizkit ill try and find, zakk and kerry were bitching they sucked :LOL:

BOATS N HOES!!!

Life's been good to me. I had Rush and Motorhead from 1977 to 2015 or so. Lots of great music in-between those years. The 80s glam chicks were awesome because they fucked us thrashers too. The 90s had some great thrash albums to go with the nu-metal stuff. With the advent of the internet in the 2000's you could find all sorts of music from your specific genre you never could have found before. Sirius satellite radio(specifically Jose Mangin)turned me onto so many great new bands while keeping me up with the thrash legends new releases. I'm just happy to have lived a fairly long life getting to listen to over 4 decades of great artists who made me want to play music no matter what decade it was.

That being said...I definitely enjoyed the 80s most.

Yup. In the timeline I suggested was the most-prolific / imaginative (late '70s to early '90s), the '80s was obviously the peak period.

Never before or since has there been a decade offering so much imagination, variety and boundary-pushing IMHO.

They kicked so much ass that it sounded EXACTLY like the album!

Really wasn't into the "Nu Metal" thing, but the mid-90's changed the course of (my type) metal in some really interesting and exciting ways:

Entombed - Wolverine Blues
Carcass - Heartwork
Sepultura - Chaos A.D.
Machine Head - Burn My Eyes
At The Gates - Slaughter Of The Soul
Faith No More - Angel Dust
Paradise Lost - Draconian Times
Pantera - Far Beyond Driven
Fear Factory - Demanufacture
Ministry - Psalm 69
AIC - Dirt
Tool - Undertow

Just to name a few....amazing.
Same for me, and with a lot of those same albums (and more). The 90’s was the absolute heyday of extreme metal. The list of bands and albums that were landmarks is staggering. That was my teenage decade and I just had a lot of time to listen to music and play guitar. I was constantly just getting floored by and sucked into new albums. It wasn’t background noise like most shit today.

Death, Amorphis, Obituary, Dark Tranquillity, Emperor, Dissection, Cryptopsy…just a long list of bands with landmark albums I still go back to. There was also a lot of cool stuff at the real obscure underground level too.

Same for me, and with a lot of those same albums (and more). The 90’s was the absolute heyday of extreme metal. The list of bands and albums that were landmarks is staggering. That was my teenage decade and I just had a lot of time to listen to music and play guitar. I was constantly just getting floored by and sucked into new albums. It wasn’t background noise like most shit today.

Death, Amorphis, Obituary, Dark Tranquillity, Emperor, Dissection, Cryptopsy…just a long list of bands with landmark albums I still go back to. There was also a lot of cool stuff at the real obscure underground level too.
IMO the underground has always thrived regardless of decade. There’s always killer, groundbreaking music if you care to dig that deep.

The early grunge/alternative scene put out a lot of good music that holds up well. I am surprised though when I go back through whole albums how inconsistent some were. Like Soundgarden - they could write a really heavy and interesting and different song that could be a huge commercial hit, but their albums have a lot of filler IMO.

IMO the underground has always thrived regardless of decade. There’s always killer, groundbreaking music if you care to dig that deep.
Yeah but it just doesn’t really exist in the same way today for a variety of reasons we could debate. I think a big part of it is local music scenes don’t hardly exist anymore, and everyone is just recording stuff right away with vst instruments and amp sims and posting it up on Youtube and whatever.

It used to be you got a band together to play as a unit with the main goal of actually playing shows. Very few ever recorded anything without first honing what they were doing as an actual band. I think that weeded out a lot of stuff and also contributed to just better bands, to say nothing of it actually just being more fun to have shows to be able to play or attend at least a few times a month.

I think it’s easier today to get by (not financially, just in terms of attention) wowing a very short attention span audience with some flashy playing or something to bait them into clicking a video, but nothing really to the song. At a show, you have to entertain an audience in an imperfect environment with your music and performance for your whole set.

Guys wouldn’t even record a demo on a Tascam to sell at shows until they had hammered out a decent set. Up until some time in the mid to late 2000’s recording an album meant getting at least a few thousand bucks together to go into a studio, so it was not something done lightly for the most part.

Granted, lots of forgettable stuff or just stuff that never went anywhere was put out, but it was a trickle compared to the numbing deluge of throwaway stuff put out now, that all seems to compete for your attention without any curation or other sort of pressure to let the cream rise to the top.

There may be great stuff out there but the irony of today is every artist has access to a medium that will broadcast what they’re doing, and the old gatekeeping forces we hated are mostly gone, but now you’re a drop in the ocean without any reliable way to stand out other than shit that has almost nothing to do with your music.

i agree, and this goes back to my spotify and other platforms rants.. usually when i see people complaining theres nothing good out there and i ask how they consume their music its satellite radio and burning mix cd's, to me its equivalent to listening to nothing other than "New Rock 92.3FM" back in the 00's and complaining theres no good metal out there having no clue metal was as big as ever cause you thought the internet wasnt cool or something. even if you are not looking for new music, theres millions of bands from back in the day i still havent checked out which i now can

Yeah but it just doesn’t really exist in the same way today for a variety of reasons we could debate. I think a big part of it is local music scenes don’t hardly exist anymore

it may be different but its still there. the hate5six youtube channel alone is reviving and creating hardcore scenes everywhere, just watch some of those videos, shows are packed everywhere. being at the hardcore show now makes you look cool on instagram.

Life's been good to me. I had Rush and Motorhead from 1977 to 2015 or so. Lots of great music in-between those years. The 80s glam chicks were awesome because they fucked us thrashers too. The 90s had some great thrash albums to go with the nu-metal stuff. With the advent of the internet in the 2000's you could find all sorts of music from your specific genre you never could have found before. Sirius satellite radio(specifically Jose Mangin)turned me onto so many great new bands while keeping me up with the thrash legends new releases. I'm just happy to have lived a fairly long life getting to listen to over 4 decades of great artists who made me want to play music no matter what decade it was.

You should check this out on YT! Has a lot of good stuff in it that you may not have heard of yet. https://www.youtube.com/@NWOOSTM

watch the movie "Dazed and Confused" and tell the 70's didn't rule for rock. the 80's for me is a split, some of the hair metal is actually pretty good , most of it was a joke, the 90's to me was the decade of whining. life sucks I'm so sad blah blah blah, but it did give us Soundgarden and Alice in chains, so it wasn't all bad. the cookie monster growling just kills a lot for very creative ripping metal for me. I can't stand it , talk about sounding like a parody , I mean even Jim Carrey makes fun of it in pet Detective with Cannibal corpse on stage LOL! and since the year 2000 we got very little metal that doesn't have that god awful "vocal style" :(
to the OP , I hope he is joking about Limp Bizkit
Actually Jim Carrey requested CC. He is a death metal fan.

I like 70s and 90s music best, but the 80s were the best time for me musically. Guitar playing long hairs in LA in the mid 80s did very well in the pussy and cocaine department.

The 90's was a good time to commit suicide so I guess if that's your version of awesome then yes, the 90's were amazing. It was an amazingly miserable time.

It’s pretty clear what happened.

But it’s a coincidence and you should never talk about it.

Back