The audio equivalent of the "cinematic look" to video/movies

Sounds very good. And yes, that's basically the sound I'm talking about. We can start up a conversation for sure.
I'll try my best!

First things first the drums, I use samples the Alesis D7 drum samples and cymbals from GGD Modern and Massive Plugin. I trigger the MIDI from an electric kit then use that MIDI performance to change the drum samples. Try different ones till it sounds right. The next thing is individually EQing and Reverbing each drum so it sounds huge. Adding loops like high-hats, bongos and precussion also helps fill out the sound. EQ out most of the low boomy end on the kick drum and make sure it doesn't have a long trailing tail. If it does, gate it.

Next thing is the bass, for this it's straight into a 1824C Presonus DI, with the free SansAmp VST Plugin. More recently I've been using the DarkGlass Ultra plugin. Blend in a little compression and grit from the distortion channel. Another more advanced thing you can do is side chain compression linked to the kick drum. Meaning the kick drum quickly lowers the volume of the bass, so it cuts.

Synths and Pads next, these are super important. Using a Roland JV1080 and soft synths, I probably have atleast 3 synth layers at anyone time. First use a Oberheim style sound for the bass layer, then more "Jump" style synths up in the mid range. Never hurts to put some arpegios in the highs. Always EQ out alot of the low end here to make way for the bass guitar.

Guitars next, I use a slightly unconventional method of recording two stereo tracks with chorus, then muxing them into mono left and right. It creates a washy 80s thing I really like. For solos I boost a bit of the upper mids. Use ping pong delays with hard pans to add space. Then EQ the the guitar to fit in with the bass etc afterwards. Aslong as your source tone is good, you can tinker later with the EQ. Don't get caught up with "What amp" or "what pedal". I just use an Marshall preset in the AxeFX or the Gallien Kreuger 250ML with a SM57. No fuss.

Vocals is all about getting a clean take, then adding compression, limiter, de-esser, delay and reverb.

Finally when mixing, give each instrument space in the mix using EQ. To give it a modern "pump", you can place a multi-band on the master and VERY subtly add some punch.

I go by the theory "if it sounds good, it probably does". And if folks want to critisize your artistic process, it's probably because they are making fuck-all music themselves haha

Start with the monitoring situation. Monitor placement, foam placement, and speakers. You'll never get it tight if you can't hear it right. Then, it's a 57 and a cheap interface and you're on par with pros. Seriously, even Behringer interfaces are clean enough to get good tones. It's about getting the tone capture right. If you add mics and blend mics, you have to phase align them or space them out a bunch. Really, just a 57 straight on pointed at the edge of the dust cap works so well. From there, it's just "Listen, Care, Repeat."

I'll try my best!

First things first the drums, I use samples the Alesis D7 drum samples and cymbals from GGD Modern and Massive Plugin. I trigger the MIDI from an electric kit then use that MIDI performance to change the drum samples. Try different ones till it sounds right. The next thing is individually EQing and Reverbing each drum so it sounds huge. Adding loops like high-hats, bongos and precussion also helps fill out the sound. EQ out most of the low boomy end on the kick drum and make sure it doesn't have a long trailing tail. If it does, gate it.

Next thing is the bass, for this it's straight into a 1824C Presonus DI, with the free SansAmp VST Plugin. More recently I've been using the DarkGlass Ultra plugin. Blend in a little compression and grit from the distortion channel. Another more advanced thing you can do is side chain compression linked to the kick drum. Meaning the kick drum quickly lowers the volume of the bass, so it cuts.

Synths and Pads next, these are super important. Using a Roland JV1080 and soft synths, I probably have atleast 3 synth layers at anyone time. First use a Oberheim style sound for the bass layer, then more "Jump" style synths up in the mid range. Never hurts to put some arpegios in the highs. Always EQ out alot of the low end here to make way for the bass guitar.

Guitars next, I use a slightly unconventional method of recording two stereo tracks with chorus, then muxing them into mono left and right. It creates a washy 80s thing I really like. For solos I boost a bit of the upper mids. Use ping pong delays with hard pans to add space. Then EQ the the guitar to fit in with the bass etc afterwards. Aslong as your source tone is good, you can tinker later with the EQ. Don't get caught up with "What amp" or "what pedal". I just use an Marshall preset in the AxeFX or the Gallien Kreuger 250ML with a SM57. No fuss.

Vocals is all about getting a clean take, then adding compression, limiter, de-esser, delay and reverb.

Finally when mixing, give each instrument space in the mix using EQ. To give it a modern "pump", you can place a multi-band on the master and VERY subtly add some punch.

I go by the theory "if it sounds good, it probably does". And if folks want to critisize your artistic process, it's probably because they are making fuck-all music themselves haha
Thank you so much my man. I'll screen shot this text and save it where I archive important stuff in my top secret telegram channel! lol

Back