The Kramer honeymoon is over

Matt300ZXT

If you read this Scott, I am still going to buy the pickups when you finish winding them lol I commissioned them, I'm going to buy them....I'll just save them for a rainy day and put them in something else.

I tried to like that Kramer Pacer Classic I got a couple weeks ago from Guitar Center. I liked the body shape, I liked the color, the neck played fairly decent (needed some fret work to make it better) and the pickups weren't all that bad but the tuners were garbage, the string retainer was garbage, the strap buttons were drilled in crooked, and forearm contour line wasn't straight....all things to be expected on a cheap guitar, but after it still not holding tune and having to unlock the nut again for the n'th time to be able to reset the fine tuners to get it useable, and the guitar just always going ever so slightly out, usually on the D string, and having to tweak it a few times between or during a song while I was practicing, I just couldn't do it anymore. Those people on YouTube that take a cheap guitar with a Floyd Special and say it stays in tune just fine even after repeated bombs are full of shit. I didn't use the Floyd on it, knowing it was cheap, and it still wouldn't stay in tune that well. I just couldn't justify putting my spare OFR into that guitar, upgrading all the electronics, etc when I could get a better guitar to put my OFR in....I had to take it back and get my money back. I've got 2 guitars, one with a Chinese neck, and the other a Chinese neck and body and they're fantastic in my opinion; still not USA quality, but way better than this guitar. Even at the $379 sticker price (I had them match Sweetwater at $299), it's overpriced.

End of the day, these guitars are cheaper than piecing a guitar together or getting a kit and having to do the paint work.. but, you also get what you want from a kit vs putting up with what you get. Ultimately the best way to go is still to buy a guitar from a major brand that gets as close to the specs that you want and can afford. Spend extra, get a better product from the start.

I was going to use the credit back on my account to buy a used Sun Valley Super Shredder from GCs used site, but the orange one I want came with that Hot Rod Floyd Special...no thanks. I've had my fill of those now. Strictly 1000 series and up from now on for me. I may just end up getting a half done parts caster that needs pups or this bridge I have and do that....that way it's quality parts, just needs a lil hardware.

Reactions: ccn
I wouldn't buy a kit where everything comes with it including all the parts . There are major compromises in all in one kits . What I did is purchase a high quality body and a high quality neck from a top notch builder and I purchased the bridge , tuners , pickup myself . The Gotoh Floyd cost me $105.00 , the tuners about $60.00 and the pickup around $95.00 .

The entire body and neck cost me under $500.00 .

You just tell the builder what bridge you will be going with and they will rout the body accordingly for it

I wouldn't buy a kit where everything comes with it including all the parts . There are major compromises in all in one kits . What I did is purchase a high quality body and a high quality neck from a top notch builder and I purchased the bridge , tuners , pickup myself . The Gotoh Floyd cost me $105.00 , the tuners about $60.00 and the pickup around $95.00 .

The entire body and neck cost me under $500.00 .

You just tell the builder what bridge you will be going with and they will rout the body accordingly for it

Good point, I meat a quality kit anyway but you are right that there are always compromises there.

What do you guys think of KNE bodies btw? I hear mixed reviews.

I remember Kramers/ quality ones back in the day. The fretboard felt like they were coated with plastic. Never bought one

Good point, I meat a quality kit anyway but you are right that there are always compromises there.

I have two KNE bodies, one Northern Ash, one Mahogany. They're both great and the mahogany guitar is probably my favorite. Every bit as good as Warmoth or other alternatives at great prices IMO.

I've got a KNE San Dimas body and it was a perfect fit for my Charvel neck. Ordering was easy and it was very affordable as well.

I've got a KNE San Dimas body and it was a perfect fit for my Charvel neck. Ordering was easy and it was very affordable as well.

Nice. for some crazy reason, I want to do a Mick Mars Girls era Tele with Kramer headstock and KNE are one of the few who route one for a floyd. The "GGG" model. It just looks so badass in white or black. EVH anything are a dime a dozen now. I also now think the Kramer 5150 is the nicest looking of the striped series but I feel like those guitars are not the type of thing that you play outside of your bedroom. People see those stripes and right away the bar goes up on expectations.

I happened across Butala Custom Shop the other day and they also do Teles with multiple bridge and pickup route options, and all kinds of choices.

I happened across Butala Custom Shop the other day and they also do Teles with multiple bridge and pickup route options, and all kinds of choices.

Yeah he's canadian and def makes good stuff but his prices are in US dollar and way more than KNE for example. Seems crazy that he doesn't also offer canadian pricing but I guess he has enough demand.

On a side note, Kramer has a real chance here to get back in the game but some of their stuff like the Cobra Kai or other wrap guitars just look silly and like a toy. They need to put their big boy pants back on and crank out some cool options.

I've put together three Charvels for around $600 a piece. Two wear OFRs and one has a Gotoh 1996T. If you are patient and watch for deals, it's doable.

Here’s the latest one I did.

Attachments

• FBE9A8B1-0F1C-482D-95D9-17CE7E0500E1.jpeg
    FBE9A8B1-0F1C-482D-95D9-17CE7E0500E1.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 23
I've put together three Charvels for around $600 a piece. Two wear OFRs and one has a Gotoh 1996T. If you are patient and watch for deals, it's doable.

Here’s the latest one I did.
Where did you get that? Just an unloaded body off eBay and a neck and hardware or what?

I can't say my comments apply to EVERY kit I was just talking in general . I'm sure there are high quality guitar kits out there but from what I've seen I'd personally opt to just purchase a body and neck from a well known builder and buy the parts separately .

Where did you get that? Just an unloaded body off eBay and a neck and hardware or what?
I picked up an unloaded body, neck and OFR off of eBay. I have a desk drawer full of pickups. Ordered some 500K CTS pots from amazon. Used some wire that I had laying around the house. If you are patient, eBay user thestratosphere will do specials on occasion.

Yeah another thumbs up for KNE bodies here. I've got one strapped to a Musikraft neck and its a great guitar. (Though I think my 250K pot experiment has run its course and I should swap it out). I also have a Butala neck and body build, and that is also excellent.

Fortunately my specs haven't been very "high dollar", so its been very reasonable to use both.

I may check into the KNE stuff a little more. I now officially LOVE Teles and have nearly forsaken my other guitars, and it's just a cheaper build from a local guy. I may check out that KNE GGG Tele if they'll do a traditional humbucker route for the bridge and a single coil in the neck. I'd have to get a neck from somewhere else though, I don't particularly care for the necks they offer that have a finished headstock, and I don't want to finish cutting it myself.

I may check into the KNE stuff a little more. I now officially LOVE Teles and have nearly forsaken my other guitars, and it's just a cheaper build from a local guy. I may check out that KNE GGG Tele if they'll do a traditional humbucker route for the bridge and a single coil in the neck. I'd have to get a neck from somewhere else though, I don't particularly care for the necks they offer that have a finished headstock, and I don't want to finish cutting it myself.

Let me know what he says as the GGG I see only has on bride humbucker and slanted. I think you can add any additional routes you want as well. H S baby, best config. As for the neck, if you have some skills with fret work you can probably get a banana headstock off ebay from Chaina' or you can go the mighty mite route. You guys have so many great options in the states. We have to be a little more thrifty here. I'd say most builds for us outside of a striped 78 eruption strat are prob gonna run close to 800 once said and done. I mean, cheaper than spending 2K on a sig model of some type.

Back