The Original Marshall Vintage might be my favorite speaker for a Marshall....

Racerxrated

....Even over the late great G12 65....and Greenbacks.....and early 75s....and Altec 417......they just WORK. They don't do anything in particular that overshadows the other speakers I mentioned; but they do EVERYTHING well. Big, tight lows like any V30 but the mids are relaxed, not spiky...the highs are sweet and not overbearing. It's too bad they (Marshall) didn't still offer this version along with the far brighter newer Marshall Vintage. This speaker is just PERFECT for 80s rock, and metal imo. I have a 1989 JCM 800 slant with them; and last week picked up a 1992 Anniversary B cab that has a quad of them from 1987. For the record, the C Recto I had as well as the Naylor SD60 also loved them.

If you ever see these for sale, and you want a different but awesome take on the V30 grab them. You'll be happy you did IMO.

Where are these big lows in a V30 I always hear about? I have to mix a V30 with a Redback to get any lows and highs.

Where are these big lows in a V30 I always hear about? I have to mix a V30 with a Redback to get any lows and highs.
Never tried a Redback; and I typically don't like V30s with most Marshalls other than a Jubilee. But these are different and sound more like a perfected 65. To me they have more tight lows than a 65, GB and maybe tied with a 75. These are seemingly unrelated to any other V30.
They are very unique imo. Only found in 1985/86 Artist and Studio 15 combos; Jubilee AV/BV cabs and 88-90 800 cabs but only identified with the back tag that says 280w. Starting in 1991 they were marked AV/BV afaik.

Honestly, I'm literally playing a Moab JMP thri UK V30 4x12 right now and the lows are the insane with Scotts Psykes pickup, but rather tight and muted with anything that doesn't have insane lows like that

I would say at least with the older v30s (I've only used newer ones as backline) it depends ALOT on what you're running INTO the v30s

The difference when I plug in a guitar with tighter low end is STARK

Honestly, I'm literally playing a Moab JMP thri UK V30 4x12 right now and the lows are the insane with Scotts Psykes pickup, but rather tight and muted with anything that doesn't have insane lows like that

I would say at least with the older v30s (I've only used newer ones as backline) it depends ALOT on what you're running INTO the v30s

Scott's Psykes is fanfreakintastic. I honestly think there's no reason for anyone to grab a new pickup that ISN'T a Tone Nerd pup. Unless you REALLY have to have that Duncan/DiMarzio thing. Scott's are heads n shoulders better IMO. Vintage pups, that's a whole other category but they also can squeal like a pig since many aren't potted. But a new production pickup?
Tone Nerd for the win.

Have you tried the original G12-80’s?
Yes, both lead and bass cones. They are also very cool; although I prefer 65s to them. They are slightly more scooped in the mids than 65s. These 8 ohm Marshall vintages remind me of an even better version of a 65, with tighter lows like any other V30. But, other than a Jubilee I do not like other V30s with Marshalls. These early ones though, are the exception.

Never tried a Redback; and I typically don't like V30s with most Marshalls other than a Jubilee. But these are different and sound more like a perfected 65. To me they have more tight lows than a 65, GB and maybe tied with a 75. These are seemingly unrelated to any other V30.
They are very unique imo. Only found in 1985/86 Artist and Studio 15 combos; Jubilee AV/BV cabs and 88-90 800 cabs but only identified with the back tag that says 280w. Starting in 1991 they were marked AV/BV afaik.
The Redback has some of the Greenback “crunch” but very scooped. Lots of lows and highs. V30’s always sound only midrange. Don’t like either one alone, but together they work well. This is purely from a recording standpoint, no idea on in the room with these two particular speakers. They are in a Mesa oversize cab, probably from the 90’s. This particular V30 is brand new same as the RB, bout a year old now and both are 8 ohms. It sounds much different than the old Mesa v30’s.

Played thru lots of V30’s over the years and am always trying to figure out where the lows and highs are. I don’t even use much lows or highs, they just sound dull to me.

Though the newer Marshall Vintage cab sounded absolutely terrible…all bright, where my friend’s Vintage cab sounds the opposite, very dark.

The Redback has some of the Greenback “crunch” but very scooped. Lots of lows and highs. V30’s always sound only midrange. Don’t like either one alone, but together they work well. This is purely from a recording standpoint, no idea on in the room with these two particular speakers. They are in a Mesa oversize cab, probably from the 90’s. This particular V30 is brand new same as the RB, bout a year old now and both are 8 ohms. It sounds much different than the old Mesa v30’s.

Played thru lots of V30’s over the years and am always trying to figure out where the lows and highs are. I don’t even use much lows or highs, they just sound dull to me.

Though the newer Marshall Vintage cab sounded absolutely terrible…all bright, where my friend’s Vintage cab sounds the opposite, very dark.
If you ever find an early cab, where they date from 87-90 try them if you can. Should be 8 ohm only...starting in 91 they sounded way brighter and almost 'crispy' in the highs..and became 16 ohm only.
These early ones sound more like a slightly brighter 65 but with better, tighter low end.

I have tried many different amps and guitars, pedals etc. Once in a while I find some are very bright, like tear your head off. 😄 Kinda like with the JB pickup in certain guitars, bright and horrible.
But more often than that they are just very dull midrange.

I will say that the Mesa oversize cab from the 90’s and using the Triple Recto, the low end is obnoxious, bass knob on zero….😳

If you ever find an early cab, where they date from 87-90 try them if you can. Should be 8 ohm only...starting in 91 they sounded way brighter and almost 'crispy' in the highs..and became 16 ohm only.
These early ones sound more like a slightly brighter 65 but with better, tighter low end.
I will keep an eye out. Not sure what my Friend’s is. He uses it with a DSL 100 and it is dark like an Orange if that makes sense.

I will keep an eye out. Not sure what my Friend’s is. He uses it with a DSL 100 and it is dark like an Orange if that makes sense.
If it's darkish then I'd bet it's an older one like mine. I had a 1991 BV cab, when I dialed my presence high on my Marshall it was overbearingly bright. But when I turn the P down, I lose that 'bite' I like. The 80s versions, I can dime the P just like a 65. But everything else about it is improved just a bit over 65s.

My favorite speaker on the planet. A more scooped v30 with way better high end and low end response. I hate even comparing them to a v30 because they really don’t sound like one at all to me.
I totally agree; they are unrelated when you hear them, yet they still use the same 444 cone like all V30s. It's strange, the paper cone formula for the Marshall vintage must've completely changed between 1990 and 1991 when they got much brighter and were only available in 16 ohm.
It's too bad that Marshall doesn't offer the original version to go along with the stock version....they'd sell out constantly IMO.

I will say that the Mesa oversize cab from the 90’s and using the Triple Recto, the low end is obnoxious, bass knob on zero….😳

Everyone on RT knows that this is exactly why I don't like rectos 😂

I prefer my gear to be relatively balanced or mild EQ wise, honestly that makes it more versatile and easier to dial in, in a rig full of other gear with its own idiosyncrasies

Everyone on RT knows that this is exactly why I don't like rectos 😂

I prefer my gear to be relatively balanced or mild EQ wise, honestly that makes it more versatile and easier to dial in, in a rig full of other gear with its own idiosyncrasies
The C that I had, was SOO different than any other Recto, I could dime the Bass and Mids and it didn't overwhelm with lows or sound honky in the mids. Another example of 'I wish they'd make that version again' gear.....

Keep in mind that nowhere on the Marshall Vintage (magnet label, side magnet sticker, cone imprint) does it say ’Vintage 30’ or ‘V30’ because it’s technically not. It’s officially a G12V as per Celestion. They’re related to all the other V30s but it’s akin to distant cousins whereas the rest are all brothers. Now that I read that back it still sounds incestuous.

I totally agree; they are unrelated when you hear them, yet they still use the same 444 cone like all V30s. It's strange, the paper cone formula for the Marshall vintage must've completely changed between 1990 and 1991 when they got much brighter and were only available in 16 ohm.
It's too bad that Marshall doesn't offer the original version to go along with the stock version....they'd sell out constantly IMO.
Weren’t these available in 8 ohm versions for Marshall 2x12 cabs, creating a 16 ohm load?

My favorite speaker on the planet. A more scooped v30 with way better high end and low end response. I hate even comparing them to a v30 because they really don’t sound like one at all to me.

i agree, i just did a quick speaker comparison the other day and im like this speaker sounds no closer to a v30 than any of the other celestions, maybe even farther off than most lol. i need to spend some time and really record some stuff with mine, i havent really fell in love with it like many do but i havent really given it much chance

Back