The Original Marshall Vintage might be my favorite speaker for a Marshall....

Weren’t these available in 8 ohm versions for Marshall 2x12 cabs, creating a 16 ohm load?
I'm not sure; but you're probably right. I'd be interesting to see if the T code is the same for the newer post 91 8 ohm vintage (if out there), as my 80s versions -T3896.
Bygone tones does mention that the post 91 16 ohm version is a different T code than the 80s version 16 ohm that went into the Jubilee 212s...and he also says it's noticeably brighter.
But the only 80s Vintage 412s are all 8 ohm.

i agree, i just did a quick speaker comparison the other day and im like this speaker sounds no closer to a v30 than any of the other celestions, maybe even farther off than most lol. i need to spend some time and really record some stuff with mine, i havent really fell in love with it like many do but i havent really given it much chance
Do you also have an 80s 412 with them?

Everyone on RT knows that this is exactly why I don't like rectos 😂

I prefer my gear to be relatively balanced or mild EQ wise, honestly that makes it more versatile and easier to dial in, in a rig full of other gear with its own idiosyncrasies
Yeah I don’t care for it and rarely ever use it…sometimes for 7 string stuff, but that is about it.
Im with you on the eq, if its not around noon something is out of whack elsewhere…unless its an old Marshall type amp.

The C that I had, was SOO different than any other Recto, I could dime the Bass and Mids and it didn't overwhelm with lows or sound honky in the mids. Another example of 'I wish they'd make that version again' gear.....
In the early 90’s we were at an open jam type deal in a local club. Someone had brought a Rectifier amp for the guitar players to use. First time I ever saw one, no idea what it was, but that one sounded good. A few years later at GIT they had one on the main stage, it was terrible. Hated getting stuck on that one. But they also had a Tremoverb combo that was great for fusion. No idea what mine is, but it isn’t very useful.

Yeah I don’t care for it and rarely ever use it…sometimes for 7 string stuff, but that is about it.
Im with you on the eq, if its not around noon something is out of whack elsewhere…unless its an old Marshall type amp.

Even on stock old Marshalls, my EQ is generally right around 5-4-6 for BMT, whether it's a trem, PA, lead, bass, major, JMP, 800, 2205, whatever

I generally have the gain around noon too, depending on the pickups, and then goose it with boosts - generally a klone, OG Koko boost, sparkle drive, TC pre clone, a rat clone, or a hm2 clone, depending on what I'm doing musically with the amp

Even modded marshall/marshall family ultra high gain stuff I've used; Larry, my JMP Moab+, Steavens Poundcake...it's always very close to these 5-4-6 or 5-5-6 BMT settings, just without a boost most of the time because they all have gobs of gain, and don't need one except for specific situations

I guess I feel like I take what the amp is designed to do, and work with/around it, instead of trying to force it to be something it isn't designed to be

If I wanted the tone stack to be so extreme, I would have bought another amp that sounds closer with the controls on noon 😂

Amps like krank, late period rectos (the only early ones I've played were much more SLO sounding to me, still loose, but much easier to get along with and better clarity) or modern omega/Revvs/driftwood/etc seem to be uncertain of what they're supposed to BE and therefore unintuitive to dial in and use

Lynch always swears 8 ohm speakers are the secret sauce. If it’s true it has to be the turns ratio in the output transformer difference between the 8 ohm setting and the 16 ohm setting... if the paper formula is the same for both 444 cones, only other difference could be the voice coil. The spider wouldn’t change it so…

Lynch always swears 8 ohm speakers are the secret sauce. If it’s true it has to be the turns ratio in the output transformer difference between the 8 ohm setting and the 16 ohm setting... if the paper formula is the same for both 444 cones, only other difference could be the voice coil. The spider wouldn’t change it so…
In my opinion, the difference between the 80s Marshall V and the post 91 HAS to be a different cone formula. It's way too pronounced, obvious esp when you play the 90s versions. They are way brighter, more aggressive if you will. I don't care what Marshall or Celestion say....and it's not the 'worn well' speaker theory either....both of my cabs sound EXACTLY the same; one is an 89 slant and the other a 92 blue anniversary B cab with Vintages from 87.
One thing too, the 87s are labelled as 8 ohm, but have been modified to 16...meaning someone actually went to the trouble of changing the voice coils from 8 to 16 ohm. But all are still the 444 cone like my other cab.

Even on stock old Marshalls, my EQ is generally right around 5-4-6 for BMT, whether it's a trem, PA, lead, bass, major, JMP, 800, 2205, whatever

I generally have the gain around noon too, depending on the pickups, and then goose it with boosts - generally a klone, OG Koko boost, sparkle drive, TC pre clone, a rat clone, or a hm2 clone, depending on what I'm doing musically with the amp

Even modded marshall/marshall family ultra high gain stuff I've used; Larry, my JMP Moab+, Steavens Poundcake...it's always very close to these 5-4-6 or 5-5-6 BMT settings, just without a boost most of the time because they all have gobs of gain, and don't need one except for specific situations

I guess I feel like I take what the amp is designed to do, and work with/around it, instead of trying to force it to be something it isn't designed to be

If I wanted the tone stack to be so extreme, I would have bought another amp that sounds closer with the controls on noon 😂

Amps like krank, late period rectos (the only early ones I've played were much more SLO sounding to me, still loose, but much easier to get along with and better clarity) or modern omega/Revvs/driftwood/etc seem to be uncertain of what they're supposed to BE and therefore unintuitive to dial in and use
Old Marshalls for me are typically Presence 4, bass 2, mid 8, treble 8 and Vol I 6-8 no boosts. But I am talking the 1959 type circuit. 2203, 2210 etc more standard stuff is fine.

Mixing a redback to get high end from a v30???! Redbacks are muchhhh darker than v30s. And I’ve never not been able to get big low end out of a v30, ever. But alot of that is the cab as well.
Yes that is what I do. They are not darker than a v30…very scooped. This is strictly recording close mic’d. In the room may be different, but I am not using them that way.

If you have an example of a v30 with big low end I would like to hear it. Never found any with any I have tried.

I’ve never found v30’s too bright or harsh except for the orange ppc112. That speaker was incredibly harsh and brittle. The G12V’s in my 1960bv from 2006-07 sound great and are very mid focused with no harshness at all. Same went for the Bogner cab I had. The v30’s in that were brand new and sounded almost identical to the BV.

Last edited:
Yes that is what I do. They are not darker than a v30…very scooped. This is strictly recording close mic’d. In the room may be different, but I am not using them that way.

If you have an example of a v30 with big low end I would like to hear it. Never found any with any I have tried.

I never reference in the room fyi when I’m writing here, all my experiences come from close mic’d. What’s considered big low end to you? Like Give me an example?

I mean this is just a bullshit clip, but this is just a v30 and a 57. Plenty huge to me….

https://on.soundcloud.com/j8DfpK2qAtH79bo36

It’s both factors combined. The 3 transformer output taps sound and react differently as well as the slight difference in the 8/16 ohms speakers themselves. For a Marshall type amp I prefer the 8 ohm tap, so I use two 16 ohm cabs. It focuses the mids, tightens bottom and shaves off a little sizzle on top compared to 16 ohm tap. Some people illogically complain about such setups, saying, “but then you’re not using the full windings of the transformer. Only the 16 ohm tap uses the full windings”. To that I say so what? I’m not using all the gain, volume, or treble capabilities of the amp circuit either. However, I don’t like the 4 ohm tap with Marshall ish amps. Robs too much low end, can get harsh and sounds comparatively one dimensional.

I'm not sure; but you're probably right. I'd be interesting to see if the T code is the same for the newer post 91 8 ohm vintage (if out there), as my 80s versions -T3896.
Bygone tones does mention that the post 91 16 ohm version is a different T code than the 80s version 16 ohm that went into the Jubilee 212s...and he also says it's noticeably brighter.
But the only 80s Vintage 412s are all 8 ohm.
Another thing is that the changing T codes usually meant a design difference. But sometimes T code désignations were changed for other reasons. One amp manufacturer would have an OEM model made exclusively for them so it got badged with its own T code. But then another company wanted that same model for their own products. So Celestion, in order to avoid a legal mess with company 1 would put out the same speaker with a new T number and label for company 2. It’s basically the Steve Freyette/VHT story but I‘ve read here and there about other accounts of this too.

Back