THIS "Pantera" > THAT Pantera

I don't get why people hate on Dimes tone. The first time I heard Pantera I thought his tone was best and most brutal thing I'd ever heard.
Love Pantera, but always hated that scooped mids tone. I prefer Gary Holt's tone. Kind of different music though. I do love the tone on 5 minutes alone.

I haven't listened to any of the new tour stuff. Can Phil still sing 1/2 decent?

Im almost positive Juggernaut here on the forum saw the studio for CFH and in it was a wizard. He visited dimes house and had a picture collection at one time.
So was he using his PQ3/PQ4 and MXR 6band setup into the Wizards? They may have used the Wizard to help fill out the mix but Dimes main tone was Randall all the way with the Furman/MXR setup. If you are into Dimes tone and you haven't bought yourself an RG100ES, Furman PQ3/4 and MXR 6band then you don't know what you are missing.......:p:2thumbsup:

I dialled in this Dime-ish tone for my brother a while back, think we got pretty close. Dime disproved the myth that you need tons of mids for note definition. Once you suck out that 1khz and 2.2khz everything becomes clearer. Sure, Dime's tone was possibly overly scooped at times but every single note he played jumped out.

Dime did scoop the mids/highs on his amps and then pummeled them back into the front end of the amp with the Furman PQ3/4 and the MXR 6 band so the mids are definitely there in spades in the overall tone.

I dialled in this Dime-ish tone for my brother a while back, think we got pretty close. Dime disproved the myth that you need tons of mids for note definition. Once you suck out that 1khz and 2.2khz everything becomes clearer. Sure, Dime's tone was possibly overly scooped at times but every single note he played jumped out.

Great vid and playing! Dime’s scooped tone that so many complaint about is also largely responsible for his jackhammer tone, along with his jackhammer picking hand of course.

Love Pantera, but always hated that scooped mids tone. I prefer Gary Holt's tone. Kind of different music though. I do love the tone on 5 minutes alone.

I haven't listened to any of the new tour stuff. Can Phil still sing 1/2 decent?
Phil was always around 1/2 decent live. These days I’d say he’s closer to 1/4 decent.

That Jelusic/Atilla tribute would blow the current 50.5 proof version of Pantera off the stage.

I unironically think this is the best Pantera.

The Vulgar and Trendkill shit is gay nu metal for boomers lol
I love gay nu metal more than this shit I guess. Even cowboys had some of this . Pantera just was not great at power metal . It’s just ok

So was he using his PQ3/PQ4 and MXR 6band setup into the Wizards? They may have used the Wizard to help fill out the mix but Dimes main tone was Randall all the way with the Furman/MXR setup. If you are into Dimes tone and you haven't bought yourself an RG100ES, Furman PQ3/4 and MXR 6band then you don't know what you are missing.......:p:2thumbsup:
They recorded his main tone . Then after that they used the Wizard to give the razor sharp top end to cut though . This is from terry Date . They said the wizard didn’t need to be loud . It was cool at even a low volume. And that makes so much sense

Phil was always around 1/2 decent live. These days I’d say he’s closer to 1/4 decent.

That Jelusic/Atilla tribute would blow the current 50.5 proof version of Pantera off the stage.
I seen the latest tour and i think Phil hasn't sounded this good in years, his vocals where pretty good.

But compared to Attila's cover band, forget it, that guy rules.

Back