Those of you that build your own guitar/patch cables, please step inside...

Instument cable is just a fancy way to say guitar patch cord. The 2524 is perfect.

Speaker cable is a diiferrent animal. It has no sheilding and is usually a higher gauge copper wire. Use a diiffernt cable such as https://www.redco.com/Mogami-W3082.html
Would not recommend using a 3082 as a speaker cable for tube amps. this was a recommendation given to me by rig builder Mason Marangella, "The Rig Doctor" in a conversation i had with him over youtube video comments. This cable is more suited for studio monitors type speakers, not guitar amps.

The recommendatio is to use conductor baed cables like the Mogami W3103. However issue with that cable is a THICK cable. you need the G&H Megafoot 1/4 plug with .560" exit hole. Your standard 1/4" jack wont work. When I bought some of this cable to try, I had to bring it to my pedal builder/repair as my solder iron was not enough to heat things up.

You can also try using the Mogami W2921 4 Conductor 14awg speaker cable.

Other options it just to buy pre-made speaker cable with the required gauge based on length and be set :).. sorta also a safer avenue cause it wont cause any possible damage to your amp IF the cables are not soldered ON properly.

Cheers

Would not recommend using a 3082 as a speaker cable for tube amps. this was a recommendation given to me by rig builder Mason Marangella, "The Rig Doctor" in a conversation i had with him over youtube video comments. This cable is more suited for studio monitors type speakers, not guitar amps.

The recommendatio is to use conductor baed cables like the Mogami W3103. However issue with that cable is a THICK cable. you need the G&H Megafoot 1/4 plug with .560" exit hole. Your standard 1/4" jack wont work. When I bought some of this cable to try, I had to bring it to my pedal builder/repair as my solder iron was not enough to heat things up.

You can also try using the Mogami W2921 4 Conductor 14awg speaker cable.

Other options it just to buy pre-made speaker cable with the required gauge based on length and be set :).. sorta also a safer avenue cause it wont cause any possible damage to your amp IF the cables are not soldered ON properly.

Cheers
I am no audio engineer but I would assume as long as it's a good gauge and it's not 100 ft long, I would say it's not that complicated.

While I certainly respect the opinion of someone that's obvious built WAY more stuff like than I have (I'm assuming anyway, with a name like The Rig Doctor).. The cost of the recommeded cable they are proposing is getting upwards of $4/foot so if that were indeed a concern then buying premade cables becomes more attractive and cost effective. Having said that, I started looking at Mogami Gold pre-made cables and it looks like their speaker cables utilize the 3082 cable. So, if it's good enough for Mogami @ $60 for a 3' cable.. I think it'll probably (hopefully) work for my needs. LOL

While I certainly respect the opinion of someone that's obvious built WAY more stuff like than I have (I'm assuming anyway, with a name like The Rig Doctor).. The cost of the recommeded cable they are proposing is getting upwards of $4/foot so if that were indeed a concern then buying premade cables becomes more attractive and cost effective. Having said that, I started looking at Mogami Gold pre-made cables and it looks like their speaker cables utilize the 3082 cable. So, if it's good enough for Mogami @ $60 for a 3' cable.. I think it'll probably (hopefully) work for my needs. LOL
I think what it comes down to is if you are a touring musician and you have to run long cables, it does become a bit more complicated.

Ordered my Neutrik 1/4" TS cable ends (black/gold) from a place called B&H Photo and Video. They were about .59 cents per unit cheaper than Redco ($1.47/each vs. $2.06/each for the NYS224BG) and I was getting ready to hit the submit button on the Mogami order from Redco, when I noticed a little disclaimer right by the "I accept" button saying that they don't guarantee anything to be in stock when you order. It listed a phone number to confirmm stock on items, but they have already closed down for today. So, I'm putting the brakes on that until tomorrow when I can call them and confirm they have the 2524 and 3082 cable I need. Once I get the go on that, I'll order it and then it'll be cable building time!

You've already been given a lot of great advice. I like the short barrel Switchcraft plugs for speakers, and since most of my speaker cable runs are 10" or less in my house, I use SJOOW 18AWG cable for them. To easily differentiate them from instrument cables, I use 2" of red heatshrink around the plug barrels at both ends.

You've already been given a lot of great advice. I like the short barrel Switchcraft plugs for speakers, and since most of my speaker cable runs are 10" or less in my house, I use SJOOW 18AWG cable for them. To easily differentiate them from instrument cables, I use 2" of red heatshrink around the plug barrels at both ends.

I had actually thought about doing different colored shrink tubing to help visually tell the difference. I had bought some black, but I need to find some red. My 1/4" ends arrived yesterday, and the cable was supposed to be here today but UPS is running late with it. So, it'll probably be Monday before I see that. Was really hoping to start building this weekend.

Back