thoughts on LP traditional series

I picked up a used one a couple years ago at a guitar show. It’s my first and only Les Paul because I wanted to try one. So I may not be the best to give feedback as I’ve not played many LP style guitars. Mine is white and has some natural fading where the arm rests which I like, gives it a cool worn in look.

It’s heavy, solid and feels sturdy. The notes are loud, just playing without an amp, the strings resonate really well. The pickups are good and the added boost it has pushes pedals and amps. It sounds good. It feels big and bulky to me, but I think that’s more about the LP in general and my personal preference, probably not a knock on the model.

The Traditional is just the normal Les Paul Standard. When the Standard was modernized in 2008 with chambering, asymmetrical neck profile, compound radius fretboard, etc, they kept making the old Standard but called it the Traditional.

I have my eye on a 2014 LP Traditional & was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on them.
Great guitars and you can find good deals on them. The deals you can find are kinda like those older 1960 Les Paul Classics years ago, those were great deals on Les Pauls at the time i.e. no chambering etc... Honestly if I was in the market for another Les Paul I'd start with those Trads.

The one's I tried from around then all had necks that were too big for my liking, but otherwise were fine guitars. Also not much of a fan of the 120th anniversary inlay on the 12th fret. I think the '14s and '15s had a few unique specs in those years, finishes, pickups. If it's a good deal and you like it, go for it.

I have a 2012 Traditional Pro with the ‘59 neck profile just to get my Jimmy Page on, I really prefer a slim taper ‘60 neck but I wanted to try it, and it’s still here since I bought it back around ‘18 or ‘19. Great Les Paul.

I bought a 2014 traditional when they came out. It is a heavy guitar as there is no weight relief. The neck is a big fat slab of wood, which took a little time to get used to, but I love the neck now. The 59 tribute pickups are VERY nice sounding. I don't ever notice the 12th fret inlay anymore, so it is not now nor ever was a deal breaker for me. Great sustain and tone from this beauty.

My #1 is a Trad Pro in wine red from 2010 I believe. They made a limited run of 100 guitars in wine red that year before that finish became more readily available in following years. It is just a great solid guitar. Wore out the frets and had it refretted with SS jumbos in 2020. Never selling it.

My #1 is a Trad Pro in wine red from 2010 I believe. They made a limited run of 100 guitars in wine red that year before that finish became more readily available in following years. It is just a great solid guitar. Wore out the frets and had it refretted with SS jumbos in 2020. Never selling it.
there's been a couple of times .... when I locked into one of those wine red Trad Pro's ..... I'll pull the trigger sooner or later ...... they're gorgeous !!

There's a Traditional Pro V for sale locally, I'm thinking about trying to snag for $1500.

I'm pretty sure that wiring harness would have to go almost immediately.

I've had 2 in the past, the Traditional Faded Honeyburst (Canadian L&M Version) and the 1960 Zebra Goldtop. They sounded great, but unfortunately I just don't get along with the typical LP tuning issues

There's a super nice one locally and it's about 1000x better in person than the photos on the GC website. It's $1799. I got tired of waiting for someone to get it down from the third level rack for me to check out, and I left. But I may go back tomorrow. I don't know if I can handle a 50s style neck though.

I just don’t gel with the neck shape but if you like the neck, it would probably be as good as LP as any other. You probably won’t find one that’s light though.

I love the thicker neck as it helps control a heavy left hand. My 2018 traditional sounds great. All personal preference of course.

Have a Traditional Pro II with 60's neck...it's really the Les I always wanted...resonant....slinky AF bends, low action, fast 60's neck, has some weight to it for sure....I love it, great guitar....didn't have to change out anything.

Back