Today I played a Mesa JP2C...not sold on it.

Mine does...nothing but extraordinary going on at my house. I would want a IIC++ for the edge it barely has on mine and it is infinitesimally small. Bendinelli did extensive work on my amp.

exo-metal":3618al5x said:
Mine does...nothing but extraordinary going on at my house. I would want a IIC++ for the edge it barely has on mine and it is infinitesimally small. Bendinelli did extensive work on my amp.
Mike is great. I'm sure it's a killer...Mike did some mods to a IIB Coliseum, more gain, tighter, loop was made usable, but...when I A/Bd it against my 2C++ the IIB+ went up for sale.
Lol.
You should take EXP Custom up on his offer for you to try his 2C+...
No bad tones here, but the 2C+ is..addicting.

No need, you're not suggesting I haven't put this to the test are you? The IIC++ I had it next to was went over heavily by Bendinelli. In fact, the guy knows you...and I know the tone it needs to be up against, that's why mine went back so many times. There is no MKIII anywhere on the planet that's close to the MKIII++ultra, that's what I call it :rawk:
I'll even go as far as to say it will blow doors on most IIC++ models.

exo-metal":1d545hu8 said:
No need, you're not suggesting I haven't put this to the test are you? The IIC++ I had it next to was went over heavily by Bendinelli. In fact, the guy knows you...and I know the tone it needs to be up against, that's why mine went back So many times. There is no MKIII anywhere on the planet that's close to the MKIII++ultra, that's what I call it :rawk:
I'll even go as far as to say it will blow doors on most IIC++ models.
Really??

Well, if you have heard a real one and yours is still better to your ears that's great!
You have a keeper for sure.
:rock:

Tone is subjective folks. I've not seen a Mark III that feels the same to play as a Mark IIC+ yet, and I dare you to find someone this side of James Hetfield that's owned more than I have... :LOL: :LOL: I'm sure lots of guys could make any Mark II/III/IV sound almost identical, and there's probably guys that could dial a modeler in the same, but the touch sensitivity and feel just isn't the same as a C+. There's a certain something that only a C+ has, hard to put your finger on it.

I wish the III/III+ had it (had those too). Would have saved me a boatload of cash... :D That doesn't mean the III is a lesser or inferior amp. I know guys that prefer IIIs to the C+. Still doesn't give a III the same vibe as a C+ though.

NewWorldMan":2g9gc6o8 said:
There's a certain something that only a C+ has, hard to put your finger on it.
I wish the III/III+ had it (had those too). Would have saved me a boatload of cash... :D That doesn't mean the III is a lesser or inferior amp. I know guys that prefer IIIs to the C+. Still doesn't give a III the same vibe as a C+ though.

So what is this mysterious 'X Factor' C+ owners speak of?
Is it a similar touch sensitivity that say older Marshall's have vs the new ones?
Because my old MKIII Blue Stripe was incredibly raw, open and touch sensitive - but then again, it was a Simul-class model, with the X101 Export transformer.
There was no stiffness or coldness in it - it was a goddam tone machine, which I'm trying to get back. If I do, I convert it back to Red Stripe/C+ specs and I'd say it would get me closer than any other amp to a IIC+.

candletears7":3sz1lb15 said:
NewWorldMan":3sz1lb15 said:

Is it a similar touch sensitivity that say older Marshall's have vs the new ones?
Because my old MKIII Blue Stripe was incredibly raw, open and touch sensitive - but then again, it was a Simul-class model, with the X101 Export transformer.
There was no stiffness or coldness in it - it was a goddam tone machine, which I'm trying to get back. If I do, I convert it back to Red Stripe/C+ specs and I'd say it would get me closer than any other amp to a IIC+.
It's been described as a "Bouncy" feel, a liveliness to the strings when you fret them. Hard to describe but there is no other amp that has it. Very unique. Then there's the clarity, open but with compression...which makes it seem like a blanket is taken off the speaker cab compared to say a Mark III. But amps with great clarity, like the VHTs, come with a cost in that you can't hide inaccuracy...the C+ is more forgiving. Not easy to play like a solid state rig, but more forgiving than some out there with the same clarity.

Racerxrated":2y7ig481 said:
It's been described as a "Bouncy" feel, a liveliness to the strings when you fret them. Hard to describe but there is no other amp that has it. Very unique. Then there's the clarity, open but with compression...which makes it seem like a blanket is taken off the speaker cab compared to say a Mark III. But amps with great clarity, like the VHTs, come with a cost in that you can't hide inaccuracy...the C+ is more forgiving. Not easy to play like a solid state rig, but more forgiving than some out there with the same clarity.

^This. The clarity is certainly a kicker with it, where you hear overtones from just about every string at once even when heavily gained up. I think you hit the nail on the head too when saying the amp has great clarity but is also very forgiving. Those two usually don't go hand in hand.

Racerxrated":3ihrluox said:
candletears7":3ihrluox said:
NewWorldMan":3ihrluox said:

You just described my amp, it kills 'em all...

NewWorldMan":10j47hqe said:
Tone is subjective folks. I've not seen a Mark III that feels the same to play as a Mark IIC+ yet, and I dare you to find someone this side of James Hetfield that's owned more than I have... :LOL: :LOL: I'm sure lots of guys could make any Mark II/III/IV sound almost identical, and there's probably guys that could dial a modeler in the same, but the touch sensitivity and feel just isn't the same as a C+. There's a certain something that only a C+ has, hard to put your finger on it.

Maybe you have owned them all but never owned the one that is nothing like any of the others. I'm not claiming mine to be a stock unicorn. It is however heavily modded by Mesa with whom I'm very impressed.

I’ve had a bunch of Mark III’s and 2C+ and 2C++. I’ve played some killer Mark III’s...and I know of 1 Mark III that I would put up against any 2C+ Or ++. This Mark III has the 105 transformer and a shit ton of mods to make it a III++. It also has a pentode/triode switch. In pentode it sounded massive, just a bigger wall of sound than the Marks wired in triode. Of course it didn’t have that exact 2C+ feel, but it had so much more to offer. I know where the amp is, but it sold for lots of loot and I ain’t paying. lol

I also played a 2C+ that was glorious. The owner then had it modded to ++ and the amp was great, but seemed to lose some of that glorious sound. I should have bought it and converted back to stock.

FWIW, I’ve found that Mark series amps without reverb also sound better to me.

Mine started as a MKIII blue stripe long shell, Simulclass with export transformer and from what Bendinelli told me has only 50 volts more than the stock transformer, the X105 is far hotter. Does it mean one with less can't get there, mine is proof it can but with help.

psychodave":2f0v277q said:
I also played a 2C+ that was glorious. The owner then had it modded to ++ and the amp was great, but seemed to lose some of that glorious sound. I should have bought it and converted back to stock.

That's how I feel about my C+. There's something to it. As much as I love my C++, the C+ has a certain vibe that sounds great. I had half a thought to covert it to a ++ as well, but decided to keep it as-is.

I have a IIC+, MK III, IV and JP2C. I love all of them but i will say the JP2C is very different ( at least for me ) to dial in the exact sound i want. When dialed in the JP2C and IIC+ are extremely close but feel different. I would never be able to choose between them.

candletears7":2o6d8pp2 said:
NewWorldMan":2o6d8pp2 said:

I'm not even sure I could have noticed/felt the difference if my Mark IV and IIC+ weren't sitting side by side and played thru the same speaker. And mine have different power sections (60 vs Simul). But I seem to be able to pull things off with the IIC+ that I struggle with the others, even the IV. Just the other day I was really struggling to get a part tight, clean and clear so I unplugged and went to the IIC+ and then it seemed a little easier to play and sounded a little more clear. I need all the help I can get.

NewWorldMan":1b43rf2o said:
psychodave":1b43rf2o said:

That's how I feel about my C+. There's something to it. As much as I love my C++, the C+ has a certain vibe that sounds great. I had half a thought to covert it to a ++ as well, but decided to keep it as-is.

I remember the first time hearing that killer amp. I had just got another 2C+ and the seller had a friend that wanted to sell his as well. Of course I paid $2,500 for mine with 2 sets of Sylvania 415’s... then my friend tells me he paid $2,000 shipped for his. When he brought his over it had 415’s and 416’s in it...no reverb. I was super jealous how much better his sounded than mine. We both felt that if it sounded that good stock, it would kill with the ++ mod. Nope. The amp lost some magic. It sucks since I would pay Top dollar right now to buy it unmolested as the day we heard it...

I posted this on another forum for this same topic... but it bears repeating here:

I’ve never seen the JP2C sold, described, or marketed as a straight up exact MKIIC+ HRG clone by Mesa/Boogie. It’s based on that amp, but with several additions, tweaks, changes wanted by JP himself. Just look at the front panel. It’s got 3 independent eq-able channels, 2 graphic eqs, independent reverb pots for each channel, a shred mode, certain functions of the orginal are non-adjustable and preset internally... and a bunch of other stuff. And people are shocked that they sound different from the originals... no really?!?!

:shocked: :shocked: :poke: :shocked: :shocked:

I you want the old school original, buy an original. Simple.

From my experience, I have 3 mark iii coliseums that were all modded to ++’s by Mike B and the last one I got was originally an early no stripe that already sounded quite close to my iic+ HRG and ever since it came back with the ++ it actually sounds I think better in every than my original c+, which was my clear favorite before (even over other c+’s I’ve tried). This no stripe ++ sounds pretty much how I’d expect my HRG to sound if it were a coliseum and could also switch between ++ and +. The blue stripe ++’s I have are also great, but aren’t quite on point when compared next to my HRG, while the no stripe ++ totally has it and better because of the extra horsepower and it just sounds beefier than any other Boogie I’ve tried. Maybe the components in this early no stripe were more similar to a iic+, but not really sure why

For cleans though, I actually like my blue stripe ++’s best. They’re more sparkly and fender-y sounding than those of the c+ HRG and no stripe and I also like that they’re bottom end is a bit tighter on the lead channel, but I prefer everything else about the no stripe and HRG’s voicing

braintheory":1m3lthui said:
From my experience, I have 3 mark iii coliseums that were all modded to ++’s by Mike B and the last one I got was originally an early no stripe that already sounded quite close to my iic+ HRG and ever since it came back with the ++ it actually sounds I think better in every than my original c+, which was my clear favorite before (even over other c+’s I’ve tried). This no stripe ++ sounds pretty much how I’d expect my HRG to sound if it were a coliseum and could also switch between ++ and +. The blue stripe ++’s I have are also great, but aren’t quite on point when compared next to my HRG, while the no stripe ++ totally has it and better because of the extra horsepower and it just sounds beefier than any other Boogie I’ve tried. Maybe the components in this early no stripe were more similar to a iic+, but not really sure why

For cleans though, I actually like my blue stripe ++’s best. They’re more sparkly and fender-y sounding than those of the c+ HRG and no stripe and I also like that they’re bottom end is a bit tighter on the lead channel, but I prefer everything else about the no stripe and HRG’s voicing
I think some pictures are in order of the no stripe. If u want to throw in pics of the others that would be fine :thumbsup:

Back