Tones that make you go "Whoa!"

This will be unusual for the board and I was not expecting it myself, but over the weekend I saw Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit in Atlanta and the opener was Tommy Prine (son of the late, great John Prine). A guy named Josh Halper was playing lead for Tommy and his tone was absolutely killer.

I kept remarking on it to my wife who could not have cared less.

His setup? A strat into some pedals and a silverface Pinceton Reverb. He also had a Roland Jazz Chorus he would run together with the Princeton for certain stereo effects. But goddamn that thing was in the sweet spot and sounded perfect. He also had some really cool stereo effect tones dialed in here and there.

Meanwhile Isbell has about the craziest amount of gear on stage I have ever seen. Between him and the other guitarist, they had piled up combo amps and heads left and right of stage. Vintage Fenders, Vox amps, a Plexi, a Dumble, some 3rd Power thing I think…couldn’t even see all of them - and a whole bunch of awesome guitars to boot.

Somehow, the one dude with his Strat and Princeton just sounded better.

Now that I am to the "K's" I'm getting into more of my favorite music tones :yes:

Kansas - Wayward Son

Killswitch Engage - Reject Yourself

Kingdom Come

KISS - Detroit Rock City

Korn - Got the Life

I really like his sound in this tune. Big and fat with a real cool grind to it. Great lead tone. Plus, this tune is catchy AF!!

This will be unusual for the board and I was not expecting it myself, but over the weekend I saw Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit in Atlanta and the opener was Tommy Prine (son of the late, great John Prine). A guy named Josh Halper was playing lead for Tommy and his tone was absolutely killer.

I kept remarking on it to my wife who could not have cared less.

His setup? A strat into some pedals and a silverface Pinceton Reverb. He also had a Roland Jazz Chorus he would run together with the Princeton for certain stereo effects. But goddamn that thing was in the sweet spot and sounded perfect. He also had some really cool stereo effect tones dialed in here and there.

Meanwhile Isbell has about the craziest amount of gear on stage I have ever seen. Between him and the other guitarist, they had piled up combo amps and heads left and right of stage. Vintage Fenders, Vox amps, a Plexi, a Dumble, some 3rd Power thing I think…couldn’t even see all of them - and a whole bunch of awesome guitars to boot.

Somehow, the one dude with his Strat and Princeton just sounded better.
you’re not kidding about obscene levels of high dollar gear

you’re not kidding about obscene levels of high dollar gear

Man that 53 goldtop LP with the P90’s sounds amazing. He used it on a number of songs. I love his music but it’s also a fun show just for the gear and everything. Different guitars almost every song, lots of different sounds and tones across material that ranges from rock to americana and alt-country (or whatever).

Man that 53 goldtop LP with the P90’s sounds amazing. He used it on a number of songs. I love his music but it’s also a fun show just for the gear and everything. Different guitars almost every song, lots of different sounds and tones across material that ranges from rock to americana and alt-country (or whatever).
i often wonder which les paul i’d like to own most and it’s a toughy. a gold top with P90s would be so sick,
but i think i’d miss the standard vibe and raw PAF magic too much, in a honey or tea burst finish.

IMG_1055.jpeg

i often wonder which les paul i’d like to own most and it’s a toughy. a gold top with P90s would be so sick,
but i think i’d miss the standard vibe and raw PAF magic too much, in a honey or tea burst finish.

View attachment 300990
For me it’s Lemonburst > Honeyburst > Tobaccosunburst. I definitely need one with P90’s sometime though, but it sure as shit won’t be a ‘53 unless I do something real dumb like cash out investments.

Back