Torpedo CAB M, any MIDI workaround?

roscoe5

Is there any possible MIDI workaround for the Torpedo CAB M? I purchased it for the better processor, updated features, and cab packs specials over the Torpedo CAB (after LOTS of debate). I am trying to use it with Line 6 Helix as the Two Notes cabs just sound better and it frees up Helix processing. Such a small package too.

I see that it uses BLE Bluetooth wireless to connect to iPad. Wondering if there is a Bluetooth MIDI adapter that might control the CAB M from the Helix MIDI out. I can't even get MIDI over USB to work with a computer or directly connected to Helix with a micro USB to USB B OTG cable.

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Wi...cphy=9026243&hvtargid=pla-1027933617287&psc=1
Two Notes really constrained the CAB M use by not at least including the small jack MIDI dongle of the Torpedo Captor X. I didn't think I would mind much, but it is really bothering me now.

As a last resort, I may just buy an old used Torpedo CAB.

Last edited:
Your idea is brilliant. A Bluetooth pedal to be able to switch presets, simply up and down one at a time. Nothing complex. I keep my 2 main presets right next to each other, but that would be a great way to keep from having to bend down during a show!!
Concerning Bluetooth: it can only support one paired connection at a time. In this case, I'd say that if the up/down pedal is turned on, then it connects to the Cab M+. I personally never use the Android app when playing with my band. And if I did need to tweek something in my settings, simply turn off the Bluetooth switcher pedal.
This could be an idea for enabling pedal switching via a firmware upgrade, no hardware change. I would totally buy that pedal from Two Notes as an accessory, especially with the smallest possible footprint. Let me know when you need a Beta tester (I'm local to your offices if that helps!). :p

Last edited:
And while we're at it, also controllable from a simple Bluetooth-connected pedal: a button to activate the tuner! Product specs:
- Bluetooth
- Up/down button(s)
- Tuner on/off button (activating mute)
- Smallest realistic footprint
- Standard 9V power plug (center negative)
- On/off switch
So far, judging by this forum, it appears that you would have exactly 2 buyers! :) But still, isn't it a good idea for your "non-rack pedal people"?

Hello. There is no workaround for MIDI with the C.A.B. M. The MIDI language is not implemented in the pedal. This is why there is no possibility of MIDI over USB communication either.

Hi -
Of course, I understand that and wasn't referring to MIDI at all. I'm talking about sending commands via Bluetooth: that is, if the Android app can control the Cab M via Bluetooth, then a firmware application in a pedal could send the same commands. Up/down, tuner on. Along with a basic pairing mechanism. I think you can pair two devices to another BT device, but only one can communicate at a time. Sounds pretty easy to me, though product development rarely is that simple, and there may be technical considerations I am not aware of.
=> Also, I don't need to dwell on this topic, as you are clearly already aware! Just trying to help.

Last edited:
Hello

we have not tested a setup which could inclued a device controlling the app, itself controlling the pedal. It might work, but when I asked the technical team about it, they were sceptical :D
There still needs to be a maping of some kind to be done. For example when you press the button to go up in the preset, how would the controlling device send this message to our app. I have never used these types of devices, and unfortunately cannot share with you any experience on that.

@mojo34 thanks for the reply. No worries. Plenty of value in the CAB M with the included packs, even if for live performance I only have a static preset with no MIDI switching. I use the same cab models 80% of the time anyway and can twist a knob if needed.

Introducing too many other steps outside of MIDI direct control could result in switching lag too.

I too can switch by twisting a knob! I love the Cab M+ and nothing will change that.
To be clear, I was not talking about controlling the mobile app with a pedal. I was talking about an embedded app in a pedal that would just control the Cab M directly, nothing to do with the mobile app -- which I personally never use while playing mission-critical moments. Again, I'll survive happily without such a thing, but the topic comes up regularly and that seems like an easy solution. I'll stop now!!! And get back to my Celestion 1x12 Ruby.

Ugh, lack of MIDI is still really inconvenient when using with Helix. Man I hope there are plans for a new version with MIDI, like the Captor X.

On a positive note, I recently got a Line 6 HX Stomp XL. Since the HX has only one processor and half the power of full Helix, the TN Cab M really takes a load off the HX Stomp processor. I can use the HX poly pitch effects now with the rest of the 8 effect blocks full when I offload HX cabs and reverb to the TN Cab M+. If only I could control it via MIDI with the PC/CC commands and snapshots form HX Stomp XL :)

Back