TORPEDO CAB M+ - HISS BACKGROUND NOISE!!!

I am thinking of buying one of these, but these hiss complaints are concerning. Has this been resolved? I am consider the Cab M or the Captor X. I already have a fryette powerstaion so leaning towards the Cab M. Any input on both the Hiss and a purchase decision is appreciated. Thanks.

I am thinking of buying one of these, but these hiss complaints are concerning. Has this been resolved? I am consider the Cab M or the Captor X. I already have a fryette powerstaion so leaning towards the Cab M. Any input on both the Hiss and a purchase decision is appreciated. Thanks.
I just bought mine, have been using it over the past day and a half. Give or take.

To get rid of the hiss on mine, and it wasn't that loud or annoying, was just redoing gain staging from the d.i. box to interface.

Just did it as suggested by Two Notes on their site.

As is right now it's more than acceptable, to me. Of course everyone's situation is different, but I have very little background noise, and I play "hard rock" Which equals loud amps, and just re-examining the gain of every item in the chain has yielded great results.

Of course, YMMV, IMHO etc.....

I have the same issue with hiss/background noise from the XLR output. I've submitted a ticket with the help desk

Hi @yleoussis

Great news, a member of the team will make sure you are up and running in a snap! If there is anything else we can help you with in the meantime, please dont hesitate to reach out.

Kind regards,

Ross

I had the same problem when I received mine and found this thread / forum when searching for solutions. For anyone else having this problem, gain staging solved it. If you're replacing / adding to your existing set up, you will need to approach things differently. I was using a joyo drive pedal + 2 amp emulation pedals into an interface before. The levels that worked then didn't work with the 2 notes in the loop. Here's what I had to change:

1) If you're coming in from a guitar / bass or a guitar pedal, make sure the switch on the right hand side is changed from 0db over to the +12db guitar position on the right. This got rid of about 75% of the hiss for me.

2) You're probably coming out of the cab m+ hotter than you were before so if you had the gain on your interfaced turned up, turn it down. Before I had to have it around 11 o'clock when I was feeding it an amp sim pedal. With the two notes I had to turn it all the way down to zero. This took the hiss down another 20%

3) Even after this it was still coming into my interface hot and causing clipping. Depending on the patch I had to take the output down from 3 to 6db.

4) Any last bit of hiss was taken care of by setting the gate.

Anyway, I hope this can help anyone looking for solutions to the hiss problem. Doing this took the cab m+ from "the hiss is so bad I'm going to have to return this" to "wow this thing gives me the sound I hear in my head".

Last edited:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Same issue with mine, at first. Same solution.

Thought I had it figured out, when I first got the interface. Turns out it was simple gain staging....please re-think it for the hiss.

There will always be exceptions etc... IME

Last edited:
Thanks for weighing in here everyone! Gain staging is super important when it comes to setting up your C.A.B. M+ and the guide provided by @AnyNameYouWish is a great way of ensuring the correct staging for the unit!

As ever, if you have any questions, the Two notes team are here to help!

I found an additional solution to decrease the hiss, added to the output jack. It turns out that in the options the auxiliary input comes by default at 0db, which delivers a lot of noise if you go to the menu and mute or lower the auxiliary level to a minimum, a large layer of hiss is removed from the unit.

Good morning @Chrisdmoon

Great tip here and you are indeed correct. The Aux input has been engineered to run hot for external device compatibility so it is always advisable to turn this to its minimum in the setup menu if you are not using it.

Thanks again!

Back