Torpedo Live vs Studio

ProgFree

Am about to order one of these two. The live would fulfill my needs but am curious about the studio after watching the Steve Stevens vid.
Are there some clips with a direct comparison between the two? Does the non-linear impulses of the studio translate in a much more realistic sound and depth in the context of a mix?
Cheers!

Both are great but the biggest difference would be the Studio blending 2 cabs or two mics on one cab. With any hardware Torpedo, ownership gives you access to the same cabinets that come with the unit when using the Torpedo WOSIII plug in. This means you can access many Studio functions with a lIve in a studio environment using the Live's load and the WOSIII.

I would recommend downloading the WOSIII demo and you can try out the sonics of the addition Variphi, Overload and multi cabinet possibilities. This will help you see if the Studio's extra features are something you want.

Another factor would be if you own amps that would be better at 4 or 16 ohms, the Studio is the one.

Thanks for the explanation. I use the WOS since some years and am familiar with the variphi and overload features, and while I don't use these functions all the time, multi cab or multi mic I use almost always. Will have to think a bit :thumbsup:

The Studio has superior ad/da conversion and runs at a higher native sampling rate. It also has increased DSP resources adding the overload and variphi parameters, and expanded post FX (comp, exciter etc.). If we use the car analogy, what would be difference between driving a Toyota and a Lexus if we're going to the store to buy milk and eggs, driving across the country etc.?

All these attributes do make for a possible difference but the 2 cabs at once ( or 2 cabs on a cab) is the most audible feature.

A Live user can have the sound of 2 cabinets as well.....either by using the Live in conjunction with WOSIII which is included in their product license or by using a static IR featuring 2 or more cabs or mics. These can either be obtained from a commercial source or mixed by the user using the free Torpedo BlendIR program using commercial or user static IR's. A Live can hold 512 static IR's at a time and these can be assigned to any Patch so gigging is easy without any ancillary equipment required.

I'm sorry, I didn't understand your analogy. Just wondering if the sound quality is the same or noticeably different sonically. I would most likely be using this w/ WOS regardless of which model I'm using if that helps explain.

I have the Live myself and love the unit! Fantastic in every way and allows me to do everything I need in one box.

The studio is a step above with a better sampling rate and more features. For me, the Live fit my budget and needs. If you have the means to get the studio, I would go that route.

What does better sampling rate mean? I really would like to know how much better the studio sounds sonically vs. the live. This is mainly in regard to the load, as I would be using WOS III

heythere sonically there is a difference, as the loadbox is slightly different (and multiple impedance on Studio), and the overall electronics is better on the Studio (better dynamics, lower ground noise, etc...).

If the budget is not your main concern, aim at the best, and it's the Torpedo Studio.

But for a residential use, and if you're OK to use WoS III, and if you have a very, very good audio interface, Reload may be the other excellent option (same loadbox as Studio).

Hello, I'm also trying to decide which unit to purchase between the Torpedo Live and the Studio.

In my case I would only use it for home recording with Cubase Pro, not for live playing. My interface is an RME Fireface 802, which has AES / EBU digital ports. This is the reason why I have the Studio in mind, I could record 44,1 kHz directly in digital to the DAW, not needing to convert from digital to analog and back into digital in the soundcard. But I'm not sure I would need the double mic and cab feature in a future.

Should I go for the Studio considering the AES/EBU in my soundcard?.

I also have another question, about how to record in stereo using a Strymon Timeline stereo delay. To do this, I think the signal path should be:
Guitar -> Tube amp -> Torpedo Studio speaker in -> Analog outputs of the Torpedo into the Strymon Timeline -> Stereo outputs of the Strymon Timeline into a pair of soundcard preamps.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards.

It will be far easier to integrate the Studio if you wish to use the digital connection.

As far as using the Strymon, you'd have many possibilities.

the most obvious is analog after the Torpedo into 2 analog inputs of your interface

you could also take the analog out to the Strymon and also take the digital out direct. In this case, you'd set normally set the effect mix to 100%

You could also experiment using different cabinets for the dry and effected sounds....ie take a 4x12 direct and a 1x12 to feed the Strymon for example.

You could then either pan the signals or have the dry sound center and the effect in stereo giving a wet dry wet effect.

You could also record one side pre simulation and optionally place the effect there. You could then re-cabinet these tracks at a later time (using the digital i/o). The other side with simulation can be used to monitor while tracking.

You may also later find some great rack processors with digital i/o that give you amazing sounds that could augment or replace the Strymon.

The Studio is a bigger investment but it will give you lots of creative options to experiment with

Back