Triptik to become an instant classic?

Sir Douglas T

Let's hear some feedback for those who have one on order and for the handful that are in the wild. What type of tone do you anticipate and will it measure up to the hype. From initial impressions I've heard it sounds to be the one to beat.

I'm sad no one has chimed in here as the few Triptik owners out there have been raving about the great tones to be had on this one. I stand by my original post months back as I do think this amp will convert so many hi-gain players over to the Carol-ann branding.

Eh, I'm always hopeful as I've loved the sound of Alan's other amps, but I think this might be a case of a fish out of water. The people I've heard rave about it for hi-gain are also the people that seem to think the standard for heavy is 80s metal / hard rock. I'm guessing it'd probably be crushed under a Diezel or Engl, but would love to do a shoot-out regardless.

narad":2jslna5u said:
Eh, I'm always hopeful as I've loved the sound of Alan's other amps, but I think this might be a case of a fish out of water. The people I've heard rave about it for hi-gain are also the people that seem to think the standard for heavy is 80s metal / hard rock. I'm guessing it'd probably be crushed under a Diezel or Engl, but would love to do a shoot-out regardless.

Well I'm not fishing one website of metal dudes for buyers. All Triptiks built sell immediately. Ironically it's an amp that has been taken up by the widest number of styles and genres of any amp to date I've built.

Trust me, I do know what heavy is........but I'm not building amps for guys that just crank the gain on full and scoop out the mids. They don't really need a boutique amp, they need to hear themselves from the other side. There's no benefit to spending $3500 on any amp for that.

So it really depends what your definition of crushed is ?

for extraordinary amounts of gain and compression, quite probably a number will 'crush' it, but as anyone experienced knows that in a live situation (and a recording one) that too much gain does nothing more than boost the players ego. As compression increases, dynamic range decreases, bad for ANY style of music. even the heaviest heavy shit. At a certain point it loses definition, loses dynamics, noise levels become obtrusive eating up even more dynamic range and the whole thing becomes mush, which is fine if thats the musical statement you are making. Too many players misunderstand the levels of gain on recordings and overcompensate with more dirt.

80's metal is about the original 'modded Marshall' and JCM-800 tones. The Triptik goes beyond those on the 'classic' setting. The 'Modern' setting kicks in another gain level with a really tight low end. Like I said, if you are a guy that immediately goes to am amp and cranks the gain on full, don't even bother trying the Triptik, it will kick your ass in a pretty bad way and make you look like a c***. However if you are an accurate competent rock player of any genre of rock/metal, you may find a friend in an amp that doesn't hide anything and holds itself together without causing an irritating bass trap on stage fucking up everybodys ability to pitch their vocals or even tell if their instrument is in tune or not.

I've used a different approach with this amp and would like some guys to give it a run out before assuming anything. Sure it's not a modified Marshall (yawn....lol), but as a tech I was bored with that by 1987. As I've said before, back in the UK I'd added more gain stages to Marshalls by 1985 than I'd had hot dinners I think. THat road is well beaten and worn out. I wanted to offer rock guys something thats maybe not the norm....i dunno. If it works and we can convert a few people then cool, if not...cool too. The clean channel is still as good as any Country amp.....and you can turn the gain down a get some pretty cool blues and classic rock too.

While this is a light hearted response, my philosophies are still contained within it.

It has been a week since I have owned mine....and it is by far one of the best amps I have ever owned or played!

Carol-AnnAmps":32wwu844 said:
narad":32wwu844 said:

Well I'm not fishing one website of metal dudes for buyers. All Triptiks built sell immediately. Ironically it's an amp that has been taken up by the widest number of styles and genres of any amp to date I've built.

Trust me, I do know what heavy is........but I'm not building amps for guys that just crank the gain on full and scoop out the mids. They don't really need a boutique amp, they need to hear themselves from the other side. There's no benefit to spending $3500 on any amp for that.

for extraordinary amounts of gain and compression, quite probably a number will 'crush' it, but as anyone experienced knows that in a live situation (and a recording one) that too much gain does nothing more than boost the players ego. As compression increases, dynamic range decreases, bad for ANY style of music. even the heaviest heavy shit. At a certain point it loses definition, loses dynamics, noise levels become obtrusive eating up even more dynamic range and the whole thing becomes mush, which is fine if thats the musical statement you are making. Too many players misunderstand the levels of gain on recordings and overcompensate with more dirt.

80's metal is about the original 'modded Marshall' and JCM-800 tones. The Triptik goes beyond those on the 'classic' setting. The 'Modern' setting kicks in another gain level with a really tight low end. Like I said, if you are a guy that immediately goes to am amp and cranks the gain on full, don't even bother trying the Triptik, it will kick your ass in a pretty bad way and make you look like a c***. However if you are an accurate competent rock player of any genre of rock/metal, you may find a friend in an amp that doesn't hide anything and holds itself together without causing an irritating bass trap on stage fucking up everybodys ability to pitch their vocals or even tell if their instrument is in tune or not.

I've used a different approach with this amp and would like some guys to give it a run out before assuming anything. Sure it's not a modified Marshall (yawn....lol), but as a tech I was bored with that by 1987. As I've said before, back in the UK I'd added more gain stages to Marshalls by 1985 than I'd had hot dinners I think. THat road is well beaten and worn out. I wanted to offer rock guys something thats maybe not the norm....i dunno. If it works and we can convert a few people then cool, if not...cool too. The clean channel is still as good as any Country amp.....and you can turn the gain down a get some pretty cool blues and classic rock too.

While this is a light hearted response, my philosophies are still contained within it.
Touche!

New Triptik in the house and what a fantastic amp. This bad boy is pleasure to play. Lots of thump and control. Only had about 30 minutes on it, but the build quality and audio engineering skills from Alan's workbench are evident. The 50 watt version of this amp is just right.

More later........tater.

Steve

+2 :rock:

pstar":1ruve6pa said:

+2 :rock:

Need to get you a Triptik Pete. Just got done using mine at practice. It's a bit tight for a few of the Metallica covers, but it fell right in for the rest. Used B/C channels set for Classic with different gain levels for the thrash trash and liquid HG stuff.

Takes pedals in front of it well, delay and wah, anyway. I don't use much in the way of pedals. Haven't tried the tube loop out yet.

Steve

sir steve, u skinning me, man oh man, bloated pains happening.
were u using the sour kraut 1 bacon woodie ? or the sour kraut with the 2 smoked bacons ?
have a couple dark toned cannons, that would soothe that swayne.

pstar":1gih8qfv said:
were u using the sour kraut 1 bacon woodie ? or the sour kraut with the 2 smoked bacons ?

All KL Explorer today bro.......

Went back and put an Empress Parametric EQ in the loop for the modern channel to essentially make a 4th channel on the amp for some more scooped, looser tone on some of the songs. This FX loop is the most transparent I have heard on any amp.

steve_k":69u2s8o3 said:
pstar":69u2s8o3 said:

Went back and put an Empress Parametric EQ in the loop for the modern channel to essentially make a 4th channel on the amp for some more scooped, looser tone on some of the songs. This FX loop is the most transparent I have heard on any amp.
If I'm not mistaken, it's on all the time.

LP Freak":1hh2m3t7 said:
steve_k":1hh2m3t7 said:
pstar":1hh2m3t7 said:

If I'm not mistaken, it's on all the time.

Yup

Back