Trying to find a great clean amp

grunge782

I'm looking for something that is pretty warm but still shimmers, I'm not into overly bright or twangy cleans. However I don't want it overly fat, or sterile (I did NOT like the JC 120). Reverb would be a big plus. I'd also be using this to put some pedals through.

My budget isn't to go over 500-600. I'm obviously going used and I've been mostly looking at some older amps recently. Vintage amps are a worry though because of reliability and people always changing parts and possibly killing the sound of it.

What do you guys know of?

So far my list is-

Fender Bassman (not sure about the differences in years)
Carvin Legacy
Carvin X100b
Carvin MTS (not so sure about this one)
Ampeg V4
Ampeg VT-22
Ampeg Reverberocket 50 (RI is the one I found)
Laney vh100r (if I can get a good price on it)
Laney GH100 or 50

Let me know what you think sounds good and whats trash also from my list. I have only tried a Laney GH100 out of that list.

jonny toetags":2x7p6qvx said:
Does it have to be a head?

Yes, it would be greatly preferred. I figured I could get more amp for the money, considering some of the cost would go into the speaker/s if it was a combo.

frenzel fm800

amazing sounding preamp that has clean tones for days. i heard one and was blown away. very liquid and smooth. not harsh and direct like solid state designs.

glpg80":1lgkmm83 said:
frenzel fm800

amazing sounding preamp that has clean tones for days. i heard one and was blown away. very liquid and smooth. not harsh and direct like solid state designs.

WOW thats a good price :rock:

So happy you told me that.

I know you said head, but if you can find a Peavey Prowler you should buy it. Fender-y cleans, a bright switch to add some shimmer, plenty loud at 40w, 6l6s, made in the USA, I recently got one and the cleans are killer, for probably under $350.

mixohoytian":pvlzcjre said:
70strathead":pvlzcjre said:
one word.....FENDER.

this

I got a fender 70s silverface for clean...very happy with it
for your budget, you could get a nicer blackface etc...

Yeah I have been looking around at different bassmans.

The one thing I have found about a lot of fenders I have played though is that it can get too twangy or bright for my tastes. I really liked the lonestar's cleans.

However I haven't played through any of the pre 80's fenders.

I don't understand one thing though. What makes a blackface "better" than a silverface?

I got my Lonestar Classic for $850. Save up a bit and find one for that price. The cleans are great on this amp, and pretty versatile. I can dial in dark warm, or bright and shimmery. The drive channel is a little finicky though but the clean channel does rule. It beats out a lot of the Fenders out there.

Yeah I have been looking around at different bassmans.

The one thing I have found about a lot of fenders I have played though is that it can get too twangy or bright for my tastes. I really liked the lonestar's cleans.

However I haven't played through any of the pre 80's fenders.

I don't understand one thing though. What makes a blackface "better" than a silverface?[/quote]

I'm not a fender guy, but I believe they changed the specs and manufacturing location with the silverface
blackface is warmer, more classic
I don't know
I got the silverface, and had it modded to blackface specs

not twangy
can be twangy depending on gtr and speakers used
U use modern gtrs and more marshall voiced speakers and it has a warm organic tone

plus, I modded the other channel and got a free JTM-45 voiced amp

grunge782":1engikco said:
glpg80":1engikco said:
frenzel fm800

im telling you, ive PLAYED a vintage fender with the built in tremolo channel - the real deal. the guy had no idea what it was.

that amp did sound great, but the clips of the frenzel BLOW it away from what i recall, and the price difference is just fucking stupid.

get a frenzel and try it out IMHO - best of both (clean) tones in one amplifier. JCM800 and Fender :thumbsup:

danyeo":2xfhu0x8 said:
I got my Lonestar Classic for $850. Save up a bit and find one for that price. The cleans are great on this amp, and pretty versatile. I can dial in dark warm, or bright and shimmery. The drive channel is a little finicky though but the clean channel does rule. It beats out a lot of the Fenders out there.

Great amp, but at that price point there is other options for me. Plus all the lonestars around here go for around 1100.

glpg80":24iwm87z said:
grunge782":24iwm87z said:
glpg80":24iwm87z said:
frenzel fm800

im telling you, ive PLAYED a vintage fender with the built in tremolo channel - the real deal. the guy had no idea what it was.

that amp did sound great, but the clips of the frenzel BLOW it away from what i recall, and the price difference is just fucking stupid.

get a frenzel and try it out IMHO - best of both (clean) tones in one amplifier. JCM800 and Fender :thumbsup:

The price does look quite good.

And the 2 "vintage" sounds I want are around the bassman and the JCM800.

I'm thinking of selling my poweramp and buying the full head version of it :LOL: :LOL:. Getting that marshall sound too I think is pretty dependent on the power section.

I don't know it the AC15 comes in a head, but maybe you could look there. That or a good used Fender Deluxe

I just went through this same thing recently, wanted the best cleans I could find in a FRIENDLY PRICED HEAD, ended up going Egg (I don't play MUCH cleans, so having the BEST cleans ever was no biggie...they're better than the cleans on the Q-Rod anyway and that was MY goal). Got a great deal on a new Rebel 30 and it has not disappointed, outstanding clean tones on the cheap IMO - I run it through an old Fender 2x12 cab, sounding great, and NEW, its in line with your budget. I know you didn't list them, but give one a test spin if you haven't. Zero reliability issues with mine.

Also, the Fender purists might whine, but I recently attended a Gary Hoey clinic and his tone was AWESOME, he played through a stock Band Master VM (vintage modified) combo he picked right off the store floor. I tried the head version of that and was equally blown away, toneful amp...40 watts, 6L6GC, only $699 new.

Heads.jpg

RockNRun":1fq4t8xw said:
I just went through this same thing recently, wanted the best cleans I could find in a FRIENDLY PRICED HEAD, ended up going Egg (I don't play MUCH cleans, so having the BEST cleans ever was no biggie...they're better than the cleans on the Q-Rod anyway and that was MY goal). Got a great deal on a new Rebel 30 and it has not disappointed, outstanding clean tones on the cheap IMO - I run it through an old Fender 2x12 cab, sounding great, and NEW, its in line with your budget. I know you didn't list them, but give one a test spin if you haven't. Zero reliability issues with mine.

Also, the Fender purists might whine, but I recently attended a Gary Hoey clinic and his tone was AWESOME, he played through a stock Band Master VM (vintage modified) combo he picked right off the store floor. I tried the head version of that and was equally blown away, toneful amp...40 watts, 6L6GC, only $699 new.

Heads.jpg

I actually was looking at this head too but was very unsure. For me the clean channel has to be not just good but a certain kind of good.

The overdrive on it is awesome, I tried the 20 version. I wish I could try a 30 to get a feel for the amp.

Egnater is a great option.

Back