Tube question on EVH Stealth

GtarLover

Just wondering if anybody knows the tubes on the EVH Stealth 6L6 version.

I have it hooked up correctly ;)
Getting "normal" sound from channel 1 (Green)
Getting 'normal" sound from channel 2 (Blue)

When I switch to channel 3 however there is a significant volume decrease.
Power tubes look fine, and so just wondering because I haven't opened one up before.
Do I need to swap out ALL power tubes, or try preamp tubes one by one??

Thoughts?? Thanks

Thanks for the quick responses...

I hooked the preamp out to a Matrix power amp, just to make sure the same thing was happening.
There was no difference, so I am pretty sure we have a faulty pre amp tube.

I'll try a few slots and see what happens.

BTW: Yes that's the layout trying 4, 5 ,6

EDIT:
I tried swapping preamp tubes 1, 4, 5, 6
Didn't fix the problem.
Now what??

Yep

Right with you here.
The tubes didn't seem to be the issue, so it's headed to the service center.
Appreciate the help.

Try some other tubes just in case?

I had a crazy issue where I was sent a new amp with a bad preamp tube. My replacement tube was also bad and it drove me nuts for a little while.

boyedav":1zhf1oiz said:
Are you swapping them in one at a time? Effects loop disabled, etc. It almost certainly isn't V1 or V8 if you're not experiencing it on the other channels. Does this model have multiple Masters, or per-channel resonance controls (or anything like that)?

I agree though, roll in some more tubes just in case, then take it to a tech. There are a lot of simple little things it could be.

Had this amp otherwise been working fine, and then Ch 3 suddenly decided to be a bastard?

Yep, this has multiple resonance controls on the back, one for each channel. I have them all at 12 O'clock right now.
I called support and I am hopefully getting the warranty transferred from the previous owner, as it has at least 2 1/2 yrs left on it. Once I get that, I'll probably take it in to my amp guy and just let him deal with it.
Certainly I could keep trying tubes, and I hear what maddnotez is saying, could be that my spare pre is also on the fritz. That's why I'd rather just get the warranty transferred, good anyway, and then let an authorized tech stick his fingers in the amp.

Thanks for all the quick responses and the good advice. I'll let you all know how things progress.

ROCK :rock:

Back