Tone King Royalist Pedal

rsm

rsm

Well-known member
If 60s to late 70s / early 80s Marshall tones are what you want, this pedal is it.

I've been using my JTM 45 reissue for the last week or so, and this morning I spent a few hours with my Royalist pedal which I haven't used for a couple of weeks. I spent time getting the sounds in my head...I have Channel 1 dialed in for rhythm, and Channel 2 dialed in for leads, The pedal behaves like a tube amp to guitar volume so cleans up nicely, and lets you get the right amount of gain with just the guitar volume knob.

Direct to PA powered cabs, it sounds great; acts and feels like a tube amp, and using the software editor you can tweak it even closer to what you want sound and feel, and load your own IRs if needed (I don't).

worth the cost of entry, maybe even for blues players who hate digital :D The Loyalist is the Fender based version.

Going to try my Griffin Analog RSM Dual Drive , and a few other pedals this afternoon.
 
Last edited:
My buddy ordered a Tone King Royalist head and should be getting it today.

We’re supposed to get together this weekend and do pedal shootouts, check out each other’s guitars,and listen to a lot of Marshall style amps.

The Royalist is going to be the featured amp we’re going to mess with most of the afternoon.

Can’t wait.
 
My buddy ordered a Tone King Royalist head and should be getting it today.

We’re supposed to get together this weekend and do pedal shootouts, check out each other’s guitars,and listen to a lot of Marshall style amps.

The Royalist is going to be the featured amp we’re going to mess with most of the afternoon.

Can’t wait.


I haven't tried the amp, but I'm sure it will sound even better than this pedal.

I've been disappointed by "amp in the box" pedals in the past, the sound could be close (e.g., Tech21 character pedals), the interaction and feel wasn't there. Using digital modelers I had to focus on the sound and learn to play without relying on tube amp feel and behavior which took time ...though they have gotten much better now

The Royalist pedal is the closest "tube amp in a box" pedal I've ever tried. I think it's worth considering as an option to modelers and tube amps for a small portable rig.
 
it's not going to do modern high gain though, unless you have a pedal that can push it there. They have the Loyalist (Fender), Royalist (Marshall), now they need to do a high gain pedal, IMO...maybe Mesa IIc based?
 
I haven't tried the amp, but I'm sure it will sound even better than this pedal.

I've been disappointed by "amp in the box" pedals in the past, the sound could be close (e.g., Tech21 character pedals), the interaction and feel wasn't there. Using digital modelers I had to focus on the sound and learn to play without relying on tube amp feel and behavior which took time ...though they have gotten much better now

The Royalist pedal is the closest "tube amp in a box" pedal I've ever tried. I think it's worth considering as an option to modelers and tube amps for a small portable rig.
Yes I listened to a demo of the Royalist Preamp on Anderton’s YouTube channel.

I was pretty impressed with the classic Marshall tones that they were able to get from that pedal.

VERY nice preamp pedal for sure.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: rsm
it's not going to do modern high gain though, unless you have a pedal that can push it there. They have the Loyalist (Fender), Royalist (Marshall), now they need to do a high gain pedal, IMO...maybe Mesa IIc based?

Master Effects already did a MkIIC+ pedal that sounds pretty good

 
  • Wow
Reactions: rsm
If 60s to late 70s / early 80s Marshall tones are what you want, this pedal is it.

I've been using my JTM 45 reissue for the last week or so, and this morning I spent a few hours with my Royalist pedal which I haven't used for a couple of weeks. I spent time getting the sounds in my head...I have Channel 1 dialed in for rhythm, and Channel 2 dialed in for leads, The pedal behaves like a tube amp to guitar volume so cleans up nicely, and lets you get the right amount of gain with just the guitar volume knob.

Direct to PA powered cabs, it sounds great; acts and feels like a tube amp, and using the software editor you can tweak it even closer to what you want sound and feel, and load your own IRs if needed (I don't).

worth the cost of entry, maybe even for blues players who hate digital :D The Loyalist is the Fender based version.

Going to try my Griffin Audio RSM Dual Drive , and a few other pedals this afternoon.
it's Griffin Analog ........ Griffin Audio already exists .... and it's not Uncle Waynzo :dunno:
 
Back
Top