Tuning...MAKE IT stable!

Rezamatix":2d2chopp said:
thats funny. my Les Paul is almost always in tune, and stays in tune even with the most aggressive playing. Its all about the proper setup :)

I agree. My LP Standard stays in tune better than every other guitar I have - including all the ones with Floyds. But I've got a cheap LTD with a Floyd that stays in tune really well too. I have come to accept that it's just kind of a crap shoot sometimes when tuning stability is concerned, but usually you get what you pay for.

Chris O":auba29jl said:
Even though my ESP/LTD EC-1000's are head & shoulders better than a real Gibby in terms of tuning stability, they still left a little bit to be desired.

I've never had any issues with the tuning on my "real Gibby", and I'll put the quality of my Gibson's up against any ESP. I was going to buy my first ESP and left the store with a Gibson LPC.

BTW, these were on Gibson's in the 1970s...1974 to be exact...

Chris O":173mgkq4 said:
Well, I guess this thread has jumped the shark. Now it is a Gibson vs ESP thread.

Carry on. :checkthisout:

Read your first sentence of your first post. Kind of opened the door. ;)

I think it's cool what you added to the EC. I have an LTD EC1000, and I have the ESP version, but my LP's seldom if ever have tuning issues. Pop a new set on, stretch them a few times. Done.

On the LTD, I could not deal with that Earvana nut so I had that removed.

And yes, I have had every single guitar (brand new ones too) I own setup by a really good tech. It makes a great deal of sense to many owners, especially when you pay as much. $50-75 isn't a big deal if it means that top shelf guitar or mid price guitar can play to your own liking.

Even new amps, I take them in to have bias and other things verified.

No biggie man, a real Gibby to me is what comes out of the Historic line, and custom's from certain era's of greatness...I would never lump all of them into the same category. My favorite is the historic '74 reissue, not some piece of garbage '15 standard with a neck the size of a classical guitar on it with robotic tuners..lol. :)

Chris O":2cmashws said:
Jesus H...here we go... :doh: I didn't envision this turning into a shitshow, but I guess when the butt-hurt is so strong with this crew... :emofag: :emofag:

Clearly there are some people who just can't handle the beloved LP being called out for an issue almost everyone who's ever owned one has had at one point or another (unless you're the luckiest person on earth...). That said the purpose was not to dish on Gibsons. That said, a Gibson BETTER be set up better than my lowly LTD...it cost 3x as much!! I mean GEEZ - why should I have to throw down for a nut job on a $2000-2500 guitar right out of the gate, especially when "PLEK-ing" is supposed to be so awesome?? Inconsistent doesn't even begin to describe today's Gibson. That's just a fact. And I *LIKE* Gibsons!

Anyway...my LTDs were/are GREAT!! Super consistent, super playable. For less than $600 a piece! Hardware was /is arguable better than stock Gibson too. I just wanted them to have the killer stability that my Wolfies have. Trust me - I thought it was pretty weird too...until I TRIED IT. The Wolfgang Standard HT's blew me away - I was more surprised than you could ever expect! :thumbsup: I thought the same thing as some here have..."alluded" to.
snowdog":2cmashws said:
A hard tail with a locking nut is retarded. Sorry. :doh:
But hey, one man's retard is another's genius. :dunno:

I've had a few Gibsons that were great too, but I've had more that were duds as a percentage of total ownership - probably about two-thirds have needed significant work. The best ones I've had were mid-90's Studios - go figure! Set-ups are pretty damn easy on a LP...but again, a guitar costing that much shouldn't need a nut job the day you buy it either, and it's not like every store out there will do that for you when you buy it, and unlike all you "pros" here, I don't have my own personal guitar tech/roadie...

But hey...back to your regularly scheduled bashing. Have at it! :thumbsup:

(I wonder when someone will call me fat like Wolfie?)

i can't say i am a fan of how the locking nut looks on the EC, but function is function.

i don't have any issues with my guitars staying in tune, my LP does for over a weak with regular playing, and a little beating.

Honestly if you ever feel you have a sensitive ear to tuning issues then Evertune is the answer. I have two of them and they stay exactly in tune all the time, and I mean exactly in tune! They also 'correct' for slight intonation issues, and difficult chords where you can't help but push a string slightly sharp, and chords high up the neck that also have open strings, etc, so everything sounds so 'musical'! It's hard to explain, but they do a great job!

OP, nice guitars!! I like!

dallasb":1rcnxf9s said:

Yeah, I see that...and don't disagree. It wasn't my intention however. Oh well. Shame on me. :aww:

;)

Aren't there other avenues to explore before adding fine tuners and locking nuts? Improved tuning pegs, nut, bridge, guitar body, player, etc

I traded for an EVH Stealth HT and I have to say that I totally agree with the OP. This is the absolute most rock solid stay in tune guitar I've ever played. I love it in every way. I too thought it was a goofy concept till I owned one. It fine tunes perfectly and drops D perfectly

crankyrayhanky":20kgm215 said:
Aren't there other avenues to explore before adding fine tuners and locking nuts? Improved tuning pegs, nut, bridge, guitar body, player, etc

Sure. But that's how I chose to do it, because I knew it worked! :thumbsup:

Rezamatix":27ht889i said:
Chris O":27ht889i said:
dallasb":27ht889i said:

Yeah, I see that...and don't disagree. It wasn't my intention however. Oh well. Shame on me. :aww:

;)

That's right. Learn your lesson bitch. :LOL: :LOL:

I thought I told you to 'carry on', f*cker... :gethim:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Oh wait -- you are carrying on! :2thumbsup:

The issue with Gibson IMO is at that price point they should be more consistent . Esp eclipse guitars are way more consistently good at a much better price point. Yes if you find a good Gibson Les Paul it can be heavenly but most people end up having to weed through a dozen of them to find a winner.

the4thlast1":1wfns582 said:
The issue with Gibson IMO is at that price point they should be more consistent . Esp eclipse guitars are way more consistently good at a much better price point. Yes if you find a good Gibson Les Paul it can be heavenly but most people end up having to weed through a dozen of them to find a winner.

A dozen???? You are very kind and or Gibson quality has sure improved. :LOL: :LOL: :D ;)

the4thlast1":1zflato6 said:
ESP are my other fave guitars - for these very reasons. Impeccable build quality; actually banger set-up (usually) right out of the case, and hold their tune well under punishment. Just awesome high quality well priced Japanese guitars. Period.

Chris O":14tczxwu said:
Jesus H...here we go... :doh: I didn't envision this turning into a shitshow, but I guess when the butt-hurt is so strong with this crew... :emofag: :emofag:

Clearly there are some people who just can't handle the beloved LP being called out for an issue almost everyone who's ever owned one has had at one point or another (unless you're the luckiest person on earth...). That said the purpose was not to dish on Gibsons. That said, a Gibson BETTER be set up better than my lowly LTD...it cost 3x as much!! I mean GEEZ - why should I have to throw down for a nut job on a $2000-2500 guitar right out of the gate, especially when "PLEK-ing" is supposed to be so awesome?? Inconsistent doesn't even begin to describe today's Gibson. That's just a fact. And I *LIKE* Gibsons!

Anyway...my LTDs were/are GREAT!! Super consistent, super playable. For less than $600 a piece! Hardware was /is arguable better than stock Gibson too. I just wanted them to have the killer stability that my Wolfies have. Trust me - I thought it was pretty weird too...until I TRIED IT. The Wolfgang Standard HT's blew me away - I was more surprised than you could ever expect! :thumbsup: I thought the same thing as some here have..."alluded" to.
snowdog":14tczxwu said:
A hard tail with a locking nut is retarded. Sorry. :doh:
But hey, one man's retard is another's genius. :dunno:

I've had a few Gibsons that were great too, but I've had more that were duds as a percentage of total ownership - probably about two-thirds have needed significant work. The best ones I've had were mid-90's Studios - go figure! Set-ups are pretty damn easy on a LP...but again, a guitar costing that much shouldn't need a nut job the day you buy it either, and it's not like every store out there will do that for you when you buy it, and unlike all you "pros" here, I don't have my own personal guitar tech/roadie...

But hey...back to your regularly scheduled bashing. Have at it! :thumbsup:

(I wonder when someone will call me fat like Wolfie?)

I agree with a lot of this. Ltd 400 - 1000 series guitars are workhorse guitars and are very consistent, and stay in tune a hell of a lot better than most guitars out there, including Gibson. When playing live a lot these are things that you really notice.

Stealthtastic":hkwsyc9j said:
And here I've been settling for drawing on my nuts with a pencil to lube them up a bit.
Pure graphite goodness - extra soft.

Works wonders :thumbsup:

Back