Twin Jet. What am I missing?

timeghost

Hey all,

Just bought a TJ recently. I was super excited because I had a Rev Blue Uberschall years back and always regretted selling it. I saw the TJ and thought having Ch 1 be "Marshall-esque" would just be the cherry on top. It has brand new JJ tubes in it.

I have been playing with it for several days now, and I am just not liking it. I don't know if I am dialing it in wrong (I know the mid and treble on both channels are strange) or it's just not what I remembered an Uberschall to sound like. I noticed most people put the depth at 3 o'clock and the master presence at 10-11 o'clock. Does anyone know if turning them all way off actually "deactivates" them and then you're left with how an original Uberschall behaves?

Ch 1's drive is just too "fuzzy" and not articulate at all and does not sound Marshall-esque at all to me.

Can anyone share some tips or settings, because now I am regretting purchasing this and want to sell it.

I had one. It was the best sounding amp i have ever played by far. I can't remember exactly what it is with the amp, but i think each channel has a presence that acts as a mids boost...something. But there is a lot of information on the forums about it. What i did was use the settings the manual suggests and go from there.
Clean Channel:
• Volume: 5 o'clock
• Presence: 5 o'clock
• Treble: 5 o'clock
• Middle: 5 o'clock
• Bass: 11 o'clock (be very careful with this one, not too much)
• Gain: 3 o'clock
High Gain Channel:
• Volume: 1 o'clock
• Presence: 1 o'clock
• Treble: 1o'clock
• Middle: 1 o'clock
• Bass: 1 o'clock (be very careful with this one, not too much)
• Gain: 1 o'clock

Now the manual is shared with the reg Uberschall clan, so I put everything on the "clean" channel to 1 o clock as well. When you start out here, you have your basic neutral sound. You are going to hear the voicing of each channel. If you tweak from there, you can modify your preferences, but you are not going to change the amp. I wish you luck, and what i would do to fix your problem, is turn the presence and depth down to begin, then play a chord and twist the presence up til it just makes a significant difference. The depth you can turn off or turn up to taste. It is for bedroom players, imo, as it is unnecessary at 100 dbs and up.

you selling a brand new TwinJet??

they're fucking glorious amps!!

try a 5751 in V1 and everything else high-grade chinese, that thing should be kicking all kinds of ass.

one thing for certain - it needs to be opened up volume wise - this isn't a Madison Square Bedroom amp - and one thing that happens when it's opened up - it's really (like the *really* type of really) fucking loud :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

damn - LOVE these amps!!
Mo

Twin Jet's have interactive eq controls. They are counter intuitive and requires you to get through the learning curve before you get to the goods. I always found if I was close to something I liked and needed more of one particular eq control then dial out some of the other eq controls. The TJ was my first expensive amp and was a nightmare at first trying to dial that bitch in. I know where you are at with this amp my friend. I was there too when I first got it. I sold it eventually to try other amp and this amp was one of the very few I regret selling.

Ch1 is going to have some sizzle, no way around it. I always backed off the gain and pimp slapped the front end with a good OD for saturation. You will need to mind the presence and treble. They have that interactive relationship I mentioned above.

If you wanted to use Ch1 as a clean that will require you finding some settings on ch1 that work with rolling the volume back on the guitar. Jorge at bogner said that this was the way that ch1 with the 'gain taper mod' was designed to work.

Back