Uberschall Tube Rolling Underway...

My first post here and only chiming in because I didn't see it mentioned. I was never a big fan of the regular JJ ECC83S preamp tube but in high-gain amps I find the quiet/non-microphonic ones to often be very nice. It seems that the high-gain preamps do not always need a high-gain tube in V1 and often sound best with lower gain tubes there. Seems to open up the tone a bit, the effect is similar to using a 5751 just not as pronounced.

Also, if you like the Sovtek LPS in the PI (I do too!) then you might want to also try the reissue Mullard. Looks almost identical construction and similar tone but just bigger.

I always use a chopstick to gently tap tubes to check for microphonics.

SpiderWars":1sks9fad said:
My first post here and only chiming in because I didn't see it mentioned. I was never a big fan of the regular JJ ECC83S preamp tube but in high-gain amps I find the quiet/non-microphonic ones to often be very nice. It seems that the high-gain preamps do not always need a high-gain tube in V1 and often sound best with lower gain tubes there. Seems to open up the tone a bit, the effect is similar to using a 5751 just not as pronounced.

Also, if you like the Sovtek LPS in the PI (I do too!) then you might want to also try the reissue Mullard. Looks almost identical construction and similar tone but just bigger.

I always use a chopstick to gently tap tubes to check for microphonics.
Welcome aboard!! Thanks for the input... Yep - high gainers beat the bejesus out of the signal to the point it's almost unrecognizable by the time the tonestack is done with it. Feeding a powerful clean signal in - at least in the case of my 5751 V1 TwinJet choice - really worked out nicely.

Thanks for the tips on the Mullard. Might try it out - Ei and LPS and even 5751 have been considered great PI tubes. 12AT7(???) can apparently really change the game - but with its TC, I'm leery of sticking on in anything.

Peace!
Mo

Sounds fun Mo! I would really love to get an Uber someday. I recently shot out a bunch of amps at a buddy's house..spent quite a bit of time going back and forth between an older 2-channel Dual Recto and a new Multi-Watt Triple. Played each for awhile and then plugged into the Uber and it just killed! It felt and sounded like what I was trying to get from the rectos and it was a Rev Blue besides..

Glad you're back, bud! Throw some clips up at some point once (if) you get settled.

Thanks for detailing your findings. I haven't spend a bunch of time rolling tubes but currently my twin jet has all vintage -pre tubes:
V1: Baldwin GP (sylvania)
V2: telefunkin
V3: telefunkin
V4: Baldwin BP (sylvania)
V5: Baldwin GP (sylvania)
V6: 12ax7-wa (military grade)
POWER: new release KT88 EH quad

I have a spare Jan GE 5751 though, so it sounds like I may need to try it in v1, based on your findings

LunatiBSW":1c3idy5q said:
Thanks for detailing your findings. I haven't spend a bunch of time rolling tubes but currently my twin jet has all vintage -pre tubes:
V1: Baldwin GP (sylvania)
V2: telefunkin
V3: telefunkin
V4: Baldwin BP (sylvania)
V5: Baldwin GP (sylvania)
V6: 12ax7-wa (military grade)
POWER: new release KT88 EH quad

I have a spare Jan GE 5751 though, so it sounds like I may need to try it in v1, based on your findings
It's only if you feel like reigning in the gain a bit. As mentioned, my TJ came with the Purple Mod so basically it's a 2 high-gain channel amp. Even with my previous TJs that didn't have the mod, once past noon on the gain, it was only Madison Square Basement material and useless for anything else - bee hive/fuzz box to mic at high gain levels. With the 5751, it pulled it back but gave it way more clarity and crunch and punch - love it.

Let me know your thoughts if you do roll a JGE in there :thumbsup:

glassjaw7":34my0ubu said:
Sounds fun Mo! I would really love to get an Uber someday. I recently shot out a bunch of amps at a buddy's house..spent quite a bit of time going back and forth between an older 2-channel Dual Recto and a new Multi-Watt Triple. Played each for awhile and then plugged into the Uber and it just killed! It felt and sounded like what I was trying to get from the rectos and it was a Rev Blue besides..

Glad you're back, bud! Throw some clips up at some point once (if) you get settled.
DUDE!!!!!! :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

I like what I'm hearing about TAD 7025's. I may buy a few and install 1 in V1, maybe even V2 as well. Keep 3 and 4 with Gold Lions and reinstall the stock tubes for 5 and 6.

ZL1Hawk":6vis9nil said:
I like what I'm hearing about TAD 7025's. I may buy a few and install 1 in V1, maybe even V2 as well. Keep 3 and 4 with Gold Lions and reinstall the stock tubes for 5 and 6.
If my memory servers me correct - the TAD7025S are Chinese Select 12AX7. The TungSol on the other hand are indeed Russian. Now dependent on when you bought your GL-ECC83s, my guess is if they're Russian, standing back even further, I think the:
GL-ECC83
Mullard RI 12AX7
Sovtek LPS
Tung Sol

and likely others...
Are all the same tube made from the New Sensor factory and are just rebrands. Same plate length, same glass encased filaments, etc.

So it's really - Russian, Chinese or NOS.
That's your choice today :LOL: :LOL:

Well I'm slowly buying a tube here and there.

I got an old Raytheon Black plate. Haven't had much time and only swapped it into V1 but it is better. Maybe not amazingly better but it's slightly fuller and less fizzy compared to the stock Chinese tube.

Wasn't a night and day difference, just subtle. I'm wondering if a brand new matching Chinese tube would yield similar results.

I do want a set of brand new Chinese tubes like the ones that are stock with the Rev. 2 for a better comparison.

I do have an Amperex Bugle Boy on the way but the seller is taking forever. After that it will be an RCA black plate or an I61 and I63 Mullard.

Just want to see what the fuss was all about with some of these highly regarded tubes. I think it would be pretty awesome if the Chinese set sounded better :p

maddnotez":99snqj6l said:
Well I'm slowly buying a tube here and there.

I got an old Raytheon Black plate. Haven't had much time and only swapped it into V1 but it is better. Maybe not amazingly better but it's slightly fuller and less fizzy compared to the stock Chinese tube.

Wasn't a night and day difference, just subtle. I'm wondering if a brand new matching Chinese tube would yield similar results.

I do want a set of brand new Chinese tubes like the ones that are stock with the Rev. 2 for a better comparison.

I do have an Amperex Bugle Boy on the way but the seller is taking forever. After that it will be an RCA black plate or an I61 and I63 Mullard.

Just want to see what the fuss was all about with some of these highly regarded tubes. I think it would be pretty awesome if the Chinese set sounded better :p
Well, in my humble opinion, when it comes to the Uber, or TJ, or any mega high-gain focused amp, the purpose of a good preamp section is to remove buzz and fuzz, noise, and keep things articulate. The PI will effect touch sensitivity and feel. Going apeshit on high-brow preamp glass in an amp that basically butchers the signal into this chopped to shit signal in order to get its "high gain" character is perhaps less a wise expenditure than perhaps a finer, more broadly utilized amp. I only say this because after seeing what the signal looks like through a scope on a high gainer, I just get this feeling that "upper class glass" doesn't do much in the front end. Maybe V1, and first or last stage socket for the gain stack on the higher gain channel. That's it. PI to taste. I'm not your usual ear, I don't like unusable gain, prefer to pull it back and have more growl, grind, punch and thump in the notes and tone. Cutting yet thick. Percussive yet chewy (oh fuck there's that word :doh: ) This is where I'm going with the TJ and I've found it with the 5751 in its respective place and the LPS in the PI. I'm now working on my Rev.2 to give it more "MOAR" with some slight tertiary modifications - nothing affecting the circuit permanently - but working with its ridiculous pV and current, and trying to get all of its lightning into a conduit that's totally focused with nothing lost. We'll see how it turns out - should know by next week after i log some hours givin' er well past noon on the MV.

Amps are fun.

Back