Unchained Flange effect-Studio version.

Is he doing pick scrapes along with the flange?
It's very hard to replicate, I have a boss flanger and tried it both in the effect loop and before the amp.
It could've also been enhanced with studio gear during the mix/post production or whatever.
Just curious with your opinions.

I think he's rubbing his palm on the low strings, kind of like the beginning to On Fire. Volume's got to be pretty high for it to sound right.

agbiggs":1jvqvo89 said:
I think he's rubbing his palm on the low strings, kind of like the beginning to On Fire. Volume's got to be pretty high for it to sound right.

I see, you mean like Atomic Punk. I'm going to try that, thanks!

You're overthinking this; he's just muting with his palm while he's picking the D pedal tone.

Bronco":175bbp9b said:
You're overthinking this; he's just muting with his palm while he's picking the D pedal tone.

I know what you mean but just can't get it to be that prevalent. I recorded my band playing it and it just has no pop, you can barely hear the flange.
It's missing that top end, stand way out effect.

TheWhiteShadow":3lymxipx said:
Bronco":3lymxipx said:

I know what you mean but just can't get it to be that prevalent. I recorded my band playing it and it just has no pop, you can barely hear the flange.

MXR Flange w/ lots of Regeneration BEFORE gain.

Ed's tech from the 2004 tour was telling me one time that he plays very heavy-handed, so the flanger effect is amplified simply by how he hits the guitar. He was telling me about a soundcheck situation where he witnessed it first hand, and actually said something to Ed about it (he was not getting the sound himself, so Ed said 'what do you mean? This?" and there it was.

reverymike":36sy5y1q said:
Ed's tech from the 2004 tour was telling me one time that he plays very heavy-handed, so the flanger effect is amplified simply by how he hits the guitar. He was telling me about a soundcheck situation where he witnessed it first hand, and actually said something to Ed about it (he was not getting the sound himself, so Ed said 'what do you mean? This?" and there it was.

Ok, so he's probably bringing the edge of the pick into play. Kinda like the ending to The Thing That Should Not Be.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYJGt67Mwmo&t=6m5s

For me, using the same MXR flanger that Ed used, the one that you have to plug in the wall and has no light to indicate it's on; set up like he has it on the knobs, and placed in front of the amp, not in the loop, gets pretty damn close. There's no subtly to the effect, it's very intense. Tried it in a loop and it was all wrong. Same for the phase 90 he uses. Out from always. Now between those two, I run the flange first and the 90 second, then into amp.

TheWhiteShadow":3uvgcjs6 said:
It's very hard to replicate, I have a boss flanger and tried it both in the effect loop and before the amp.
It could've also been enhanced with studio gear during the mix/post production or whatever.
All he is doing is is chugging the palm-muted drop-d - no pick scraping or anything else. The only Flanger I've heard really get it 100% right is the MXR Flanger with the Regen set correctly. Out front, of course.

Steve

TheWhiteShadow":181ccefl said:
agbiggs":181ccefl said:

I see, you mean like Atomic Punk. I'm going to try that, thanks!
No, this is not it. It's just palm-muted chugging... You have to have the right flanger set correctly.

Steve

TheWhiteShadow":2x8ce9gz said:
Bronco":2x8ce9gz said:

You need the right flanger set correctly...

Steve

sah5150":1yfjbwss said:
All he is doing is is chugging the palm-muted drop-d - no pick scraping or anything else. The only Flanger I've heard really get it 100% right is the MXR Flanger with the Regen set correctly. Out front, of course.

Steve

I approve!

I'm sure they added that flanger at the board and he didn't play it while recording. The sweep goes down the first time and then up and then down and then up. It's timed too perfectly to have done it with his foot while playing it while being recorded, although it stops after two more runs after the middle break and you can just hear him chugging on the lower strings sans flanger. I used to have my knobs all at noon. Now I have the first three at a little past 11 o'clock and the fourth one dimed. I think it's very close.

DAMIAN The MAN":24wv4l4l said:
sah5150":24wv4l4l said:

Steve

I approve!

Agreed! Will only sound right with the MXR Flanger, the Boss Flanger isn't going to do it no matter where you set the knobs

Stradazone":1y8sy2pc said:
DAMIAN The MAN":1y8sy2pc said:
sah5150":1y8sy2pc said:

Steve

I approve!

Agreed! Will only sound right with the MXR Flanger, the Boss Flanger isn't going to do it no matter where you set the knobs

I don't have clips but I nailed it with the Boss. This will work for ATBL as well as Unchained.
manual=10
depth=6
rate=7
res=10

sah5150":qx6y5595 said:
TheWhiteShadow":qx6y5595 said:

Steve
^^^ This!!!

My band plays Unchained often. I use an MXR Flanger into the front end of a Bogner XTC blue channel. Sounds perfect...

sahlomonic":5z118255 said:
I think this shows it can be done with the flanger in front and not at the board:

1:52 mark

I've not seen that video before with EVH, very cool.

This was posted on the Splawn forum not too long ago. Guy was using the MXR EVH Flanger. You can hear his foot switching. Pedal does that 'down' and then 'up' thing automatically if set right - he said. Edit: Yep - similar to that Eddie Stealth video I forgot about.

:12

But yeah - upfront.

Then there is the Curt Mitchel way 'In the Style of EVH video'

Back