Underrated rack mount preamps

MadAsAHatter

Doing a little window shopping of rack mount preamp from years gone by got me thinking...

Most know the legendary status of the heavy hitters like the Bogner Fish, CAE 3++, ADA MP1, Mesa Triaxis, several Soldano preamps, to name a few. What are some of the more underrated rack preamps that don't get the attention they deserve?

Had a Hafler Hellrazor preamp that fucking ruled back in the day.
Was that the one Bogner had involvement with ??? or was that the Tri Amp or something like that .... I saw it on Micheal Nielson's channel at some point ....

Peavey Rockmaster. I remember wanting a 5150 back in high school and not being able to put the dough together, someone suggested the "Poor Man's 5150" and I picked up a Rockmaster for about $200 and a Peavey Classic 120 poweramp for about the same. Man. That power amp ripped extremely hard for rock, death metal and had an actual decent clean channel. I remember being disappointed when I eventually got a 5150 and the clean channel was worse than the Rockmaster. I keep my eyes peeled in case one ever pops up local and cheap.

Peavey Rockmaster. I remember wanting a 5150 back in high school and not being able to put the dough together, someone suggested the "Poor Man's 5150" and I picked up a Rockmaster for about $200 and a Peavey Classic 120 poweramp for about the same. Man. That power amp ripped extremely hard for rock, death metal and had an actual decent clean channel. I remember being disappointed when I eventually got a 5150 and the clean channel was worse than the Rockmaster. I keep my eyes peeled in case one ever pops up local and cheap.
The Peavey TubeFex was pretty cool. It was basically a programmable Rockmaster with an effects processor attached.

I had a FJA modded Peavey Rockmaster for a while back in the mid 2000's thing was great !! Even stock they rip !!

I had ADA MP-1 and MP-2; TriAxis; JMP-1; Tech-21 PSA 1.1; Randall MTS.

There were the Rocktron, Boss and DigiTech rack preamps...

Was that the one Bogner had involvement with ??? or was that the Tri Amp or something like that .... I saw it on Micheal Nielson's channel at some point ....
I think so. It was around that era that Hafler released the T2 and T3. Never tried those, but that Hellrazor really ripped.

Back