Update on noise gate, effects loop 5150-III

romanianreaper

So I got my Electro-Harmonix Silencer pedal and didn't help at all with the noise I'm experiencing so it is not a Decimator pedal grounding issue, etc.

So here is my plan moving forward. I'm going to move my pedalboard away from the amp. Currently it is right against it. If that doesn't help I'm going to check the preamp tubes and ensure they are seated, etc.

The issue is definitely the effects loop though. Even with the clean channel on, it is super noisy. When I hit the effects loop button on the pedal to off, the amp is dead quiet.

Is the Input/Output mainly as a "key" input to the pedal to trigger the gate ON/OFF? Or is it to Gate the guitar signal?

the way I resolved this issue was to use a Buffered Splitter before the Input and that eliminated the ground loop. This was with my Splawn Nitro.

Is the Input/Output mainly as a "key" input to the pedal to trigger the gate ON/OFF? Or is it to Gate the guitar signal?

the way I resolved this issue was to use a Buffered Splitter before the Input and that eliminated the ground loop. This was with my Splawn Nitro.
Oh man, I'm not sure

You need a ground loop isolator for the effects loop of the 5150 iii. They’re notorious for ground loop hum. Others have experienced the noise from the loop if you Google it.
Thanks bud! Can you direct me to what those are in case my search comes up empty?

Thanks bud! Can you direct me to what those are in case my search comes up empty?

https://www.amazon.com/Compact-Mini...prefix=ground+loop+isolator+1/4,aps,77&sr=8-4

9OEwYle.png

Two sets of ins and outs for sending and returning signal, so you should only need one of these for your effects loop. I bought some for my rig. In my rig, for line level signals, they absolutely work and do not impact the tone at all.

I believe Behringer makes one just like this as well.

Last edited:
I don’t use one and they can get expensive.. I’d rather others chime in for preferred favorites.

I noticed the 5150-III footawitch had a speaker cable attached (got it from them when I bought it). I swapped it and seems quieter. Wonder if that was a but part of the issue?

I noticed the 5150-III footawitch had a speaker cable attached (got it from them when I bought it). I swapped it and seems quieter. Wonder if that was a but part of the issue?
Perhaps if the cable needed to have ground and the cable you had didn't may have caused an issue. Can you post a picture of the old cable and the replacement cable that helped?

I have been unable to fix the issue and is driving me insane. When I get some time, I need to slowly diagnose each part of my chain.

The primary issue is when I hit that "effects" button on the footswitch, I get a ton of noise even on the clean channel. Between the cords, tubes, pedals, etc, just hard to pin down.

Did you try my suggestion in your other thread? Unsolder the shield on one end of one of your cables that hook up your fx loop.

I don’t use one and they can get expensive.. I’d rather others chime in for preferred favorites.
They all change the sound and feel.

Only time I use one is with overdrive and boost pedals. Out in front of the amp.

I use a Boss NS-2. It adds some midrange. But so do the pedals I use.
There is better pedals available. But they didn't sound or feel that much better for how I use it.

Perhaps if the cable needed to have ground and the cable you had didn't may have caused an issue. Can you post a picture of the old cable and the replacement cable that helped?
It doesn't seem like it helped. I'm getting that damn noise again. I think I need to dig a bit.

Two additional things:

- Noise is present when I hit "Effects" button on footswitch, regardless of channel
- Noise also happens if I unplug the footswitch from the amp

Is the 5150 III a 50w or a 100w amp?

Does the noise still happen if you simply take a small patch cable and plug one end into "Send" and the other into "Return" while the loop is active?

Also, if it's a 100w amp, I'm with @blackie13 in that it could be a bad preamp tube. The 50w 5150 III's don't have tube driven effects loops but the 100w amps do.

jkKRimd.png

Back