UPS can blow me

Steinmetzify

Guy here wanted an amp, I had that amp, and as we all know, if shipping companies don’t pack it, they won’t pay if something happens to it, EVEN if you pay for insurance.

Amp wasn’t super rare, but it IS discontinued and I wanted it insured for full value so dude and I talked about it and decided to go ahead.

Dropped amp off, explained to the counter person what was up and she assured me they knew what they were doing.

Dude gets amp yesterday and sends me this pic

C507B1BD-CF5B-4D91-B079-76563C56BACC.jpeg

Which is just ridiculous. They won’t pay a claim unless they pack it, and then they pack it like that.

Thankfully nothing happened, amp was fine as far as we can tell but CMON.

I’m done. Shipping companies DGAF any more, no more selling amps or guitars.

My local shop has a consignment program and a Reverb store, anything else I want to off goes thru them.

Tired of these companies not giving any fucks about the ONE job we pay them to do.

Last few amps I’ve sold, I spent a minimum of 2-2 1/2 hours packing them. It’s a ton of work to do it right, but you all know that.
It’s not just UPS though. No matter who you chooses to ship an amp or guitar, you better make sure it’s packed for war, because it’s gonna get beat up.
That packaging in your pic is rediculous. I wonder if the drivers treat a package differently if they see the “UPS Store” on the box, or somehow know it’s done by the store?

Yup. I won't bother shipping an amp anymore. I've been lucky in years previous but even when packed to withstand some serious thuggery, it is a crapshoot these days.

Local sale or trade in now. Not worth the hassle, unfortunately.

Glad the amp was ok!

I had two FRFR speakers to ship (35 pounds each) and the quote for them to package, insure and ship was almost $600 going from AZ to the east coast. Nope, local sale it is.

I'd be surprised to get anything shipped via UPS without at least one hole in it. The last guitar I bought came with at least 3, luckily it was in a hsc.

Glad it's working for the buyer, saves a ton of headache.

I think I'm pretty much done shipping anything the quality of all of the shippers as just went downhill I'm hearing so many stories of damage it's just not worth it. It sucks not shipping because then you're basically only selling to a small area unless you want to drive 4 or 5 hours to meet somebody.

I gave up on shipping amps/guitars awhile ago. If I can't find it local or travel a reasonable distance to get it, I don't mess with it.

Relative to a real UPS customer service center location, the "UPS store" will always over charge and under pack. The real UPS obviously doesn't offer a packing service. The official distinction:

Most Customer Centers are found on-site at UPS operating facilities nationwide, with some in busy metropolitan areas. Hours of operation vary by location. The UPS Store® locations are independently-owned and operated by licensed franchisees of Mail Boxes Etc., Inc., an indirect subsidiary of United Parcel Service, Inc.

Relative to a real UPS customer service center location, the "UPS store" will always over charge and under pack. The real UPS obviously doesn't offer a packing service. The official distinction:

Most Customer Centers are found on-site at UPS operating facilities nationwide, with some in busy metropolitan areas. Hours of operation vary by location. The UPS Store® locations are independently-owned and operated by licensed franchisees of Mail Boxes Etc., Inc., an indirect subsidiary of United Parcel Service, Inc.
100% truth. The UPS Store is a fucking absolute joke.

Here in PA, UPS is actually your safest choice, but I have no experience with UPS stores.

Bought my 5150III combo from Music Zoo. Was terrified watching the guy unload it outta the truck. I actually went out there and demanded to help. Got it up the stairs, and unboxed and was perfect thank goodness. Box wasn't....even though it was a EVH factory box. I knew the thing was heavy.

I now have too much expensive shit and got some Heritage insurance. If anything happens going fwd, they will handle it.

Worth $320/yr for almost 50k agreed upon value coverage. Hope I never need it.

Guy here wanted an amp, I had that amp, and as we all know, if shipping companies don’t pack it, they won’t pay if something happens to it, EVEN if you pay for insurance.

Amp wasn’t super rare, but it IS discontinued and I wanted it insured for full value so dude and I talked about it and decided to go ahead.

Dropped amp off, explained to the counter person what was up and she assured me they knew what they were doing.

Dude gets amp yesterday and sends me this pic

View attachment 135376

Which is just ridiculous. They won’t pay a claim unless they pack it, and then they pack it like that.

Thankfully nothing happened, amp was fine as far as we can tell but CMON.

I’m done. Shipping companies DGAF any more, no more selling amps or guitars.

My local shop has a consignment program and a Reverb store, anything else I want to off goes thru them.

Tired of these companies not giving any fucks about the ONE job we pay them to do.

What local shop are you talking about? I have to ship an amp and I am very interested if I could use them to help me.

I wouldn’t trust those losers to pack a thing. Only way I am
Cool with shipping an amp is if I do it myself. And even then, I am worried they will drop it out of the truck on the highway or off a 60 foot drop at airport. UPS and USPS are particularly pathetic when it comes to shipping and damage. I have seen SHOCKING examples of shipping damage that absolutely perplexed me and left me dumbfounded as to how it even happened!!?! One time it looked like a crew of apes simultaneously assaulted the box with sledge hammers. Another time I sent a guitar to Australia so it was a joint shipping adventure between USPS and the aussies!! The guy I sent it to said it looked like it fell into the ocean and a shark took a bite out of it except it wasn’t wet. I saw the pics and sure enough it looked like something took an enormous bite out of the case MIRACULOUSLY missing the guitar!!!

These shippers are UNBELIEVABLE and so OFFENSIVE!!!!

I've done that (had them pack it) and also gone the other way and just packed the shit out of it myself and didn't buy insurance. Their insurance basically covers if they totally lose the package and that's about it. I did that with that Tremoverb I just sold. Its a risk either way. But if it were a $10k plexi I don't know what I would do, probably just not ship it.

Back