Valvulator GP/DI or ????

jack butler

Looking for a simple analog plug and play type unit to do some direct recording. The Valvulator looks cool, anything else similar to this I should look into?

Laney IRT Studio, and the Engl E530 preamp. The Laney is 15w of tube power, 2 EL84s, 3 channels switchable down to less than 1. I think the Engl is 5w of SS. Tons of control over that one, low mid knobs and whatnot.

I'm biased tho, have the GP/DI and really dig it. Multiple outs, defeatable cab sim if you want to use your own IRs, but the cab sim is tunable and really good.

Cleans, crunch and metal modes, takes pedals pretty well, will get pretty fuckin loud thru a good 2x12/4x12 even though it's only 1 watt.

Cleans suffer because of the wattage though, something to keep in mind.

Wait...that thing actually made it to market at the end of the day?!
I remember the development saga from what feels like a decade ago and this is the first time I've heard of it since.

Yup, fuckin slays at what it was designed for too.
Laney IRT Studio, and the Engl E530 preamp. The Laney is 15w of tube power, 2 EL84s, 3 channels switchable down to less than 1. I think the Engl is 5w of SS. Tons of control over that one, low mid knobs and whatnot.

I'm biased tho, have the GP/DI and really dig it. Multiple outs, defeatable cab sim if you want to use your own IRs, but the cab sim is tunable and really good.

Cleans, crunch and metal modes, takes pedals pretty well, will get pretty fuckin loud thru a good 2x12/4x12 even though it's only 1 watt.

Cleans suffer because of the wattage though, something to keep in mind.
Thanks for the reply, the cab sim feature is what I'm most interested in. Have you compared it to any IR's?

Thanks for the reply, the cab sim feature is what I'm most interested in. Have you compared it to any IR's?

Oh yeah tons. My interface has two inputs and the unit has two outputs for recording; one is the cab sim and one is a direct out, or you can just turn the cab sim off.

I’d usually run the cab on one track, and use an IR for the 2nd/3rd guitar tracks.

The cool thing about it is that it’s tunable; you can add/subtract bass/treble and one of the controls simulates moving a mic closer or further away. It’s cool.

I use a GP/DI also, though have ended up using my Helix a lot more for direct recording.

The GP/DI is sweet but I would maybe wait just a little bit. They're doing the next-gen GP/DI with IR loading included so you'll get the best of both worlds. I think the cab sim on it is adequate but I do prefer using an IR.

Back