VB-101 Speaker Output

durbodill

Hi everyone,

I have a new situation at the place I record at. I connected a 2 x 12, 8 Ohm cab to the speaker output of the my Torpedo VB-101.

Two questions:

1) Do I have to power on the Torpedo to if I just want to jam using my cab? As usual, amp (Diezel VH 4) goes into the "amp in" of the Torpedo, then "speaker out" to cab.

2) If I want to record, I unplug the cab, since it's just too loud when I crank the amp's master a little more. For that, I pull the cable from the "speaker out". Since I have the Torpedo in some kind of studio rack that's sitting next to the wall, it's kind of a pain to reach the cable, unplug it or plug it back into the right jack. My question: Will pulling the cable from the cab work as well? It's much easier to reach and would simplify the whole thing. Or does the "speaker out" act as some kind of switch between the internal and an external load (I kinda fear it does;-))?

Thanks and greetings from Germany,

Till.

Hi durbodill,

1) Do I have to power on the Torpedo to if I just want to jam using my cab? As usual, amp (Diezel VH 4) goes into the "amp in" of the Torpedo, then "speaker out" to cab.

Don't forget to keep all the cables on place, but you don't need to power on the VB-101.

2) If I want to record, I unplug the cab, since it's just too loud when I crank the amp's master a little more. For that, I pull the cable from the "speaker out". Since I have the Torpedo in some kind of studio rack that's sitting next to the wall, it's kind of a pain to reach the cable, unplug it or plug it back into the right jack. My question: Will pulling the cable from the cab work as well? It's much easier to reach and would simplify the whole thing. Or does the "speaker out" act as some kind of switch between the internal and an external load (I kinda fear it does;-))?

Sorry but you feared right: the internal jack acts as a shortcut when your jack cable is plugged.

But there is another solution:

I guess your amp has 2 X 8 Ohms output, simply put one to the VB-101 and the other to the cabinet and unplug the cabinet from any side when you don't need it.

guillaume_pille":cbg0d6xo said:
I guess your amp has 2 X 8 Ohms output, simply put one to the VB-101 and the other to the cabinet and unplug the cabinet from any side when you don't need it.

Hey, I thought about that, but using the 2x8 Ohm jack would mean a total impedance of 4 Ohm. I can't just unplug the cab because it would leave the Torpedo with the impedance of 8 Ohm. So there would be a mismatch...

Am I wrong?

Greets, Till.

Sorry of course you are right.

There is no real danger in using the Torpedo on a 4 Ohms output, but I guess it is better to follow the amp builder's recommendations.

And you are back to crawl behind the rack. That's an uncommon user case actually, I never wanted to put some kind of relay so you can switch from the internal load to the cabinet from the SETUP menu. I am afraid that someone does it without knowing the consequences if there is no cabinet...

Back