Versatile Amp - Clean, Rock, Leads

ape2000

Ok, so I thought I'd revisit my previous post to make it a little more precise.

Budget is $1500, preferring to stay well below that if possible.

I play small clubs, so I don't need 100 watts, but I need clean headroom.

Cleans and effect loops are important. Doesn't need to be "blackface". Pedal platform, but also not sterile or characterless.

Mid-gain rhythm tones up to liquid leads would be ideal.

Other than the music I've posted below, which I guess is "post-hardcore" or heavy alt rock, I play in an indie band, and my current group of dudes and I are veering towards instrumental post-rock/post-metal.

Here's some of my music for reference:
Cleans with effects: https://lunasoltera.bandcamp.com/track/ ... er-touch-2

Midgain rhythm with leads: https://lunasoltera.bandcamp.com/track/the-flood

Heaviest: https://lunasoltera.bandcamp.com/track/doppelganger

Bands & tones I like: Thrice, Circa Survive, o'brother, Deftones, Tool, Alice in Chains, A Perfect Circle, Karnivool, Porcupine Tree, Cave In, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, Hum, Failure, Periphery.

Mesa Marks (not sure which would be best), 5153, and some PRS offerings have been mentioned so far. Carol Ann amps seem rad but on the higher end of the $ range I'd like to be in. Bad Cat could be an option.

If you can't play before buying, the 5153 50 watt head seems like the way to go. It might not be everyone's ideal amp, but it's very very solid and will do what you want and sound good doing it.

Personally, I'd avoid something like a Carol Ann or Bad Cat unless you can play it first. Boutique doesn't necessarily mean "better." In this case, I think it means "different" and I'm not sure you'd want to deal with a potentially bad surprise. You know you're getting solid high gain rock and metal from the 5153.

If you can find one used a KSR Orthos. I know I recommend KSR to about anyone but there are soo many tones in this box. The clean channel is brilliant and I really love the crunch mode on channel 2. I play stuff like Interpol, Jesus and Mary Chain then stuff all the way to Carcass. It just handles anything I ask of it.

Mark V. Awesome cleans, Ch2 crunch gets awesome rock tones, and with a boost, gets sweet liquid leads also. Ch3 with or without a boost can get excellent lead sounds as well. 90W switchable to 45W (or 10W but you probably won't use that one), great master volume, and can get high headroom or low headroom sounds by switching between regular power or variac power modes. Footswitchable loop, reverb, solo volume boost. Overall great tone and versatility.

There's one in the classifieds for $1500 ;)

Marshall 2555x. Clean, lead and a good loop. Can run any 2 pairs of octal tubes for some cool changeup tone...2 6L6, 2 EL34...etc etc..Like most Marshalls, takes pedals like a champ. You can find them use for 1400 or so.

swamptrashstompboxes":2iga8cs1 said:
I am still in the Mesa Mark camp too. Look for an IV combo. Should be under $800.
Couple years ago, yes...800 or even less. Nowadays I see them for 1K or more. You have a better chance at a MkIII under a grand than a IV.

I'm using a 5150 III 50W head with matching 2x12 for a cover band (bars and small clubs). Cleans are pristine, and second channel has an amazing crunch. Channel 3 (or channel 2 fronted with a good OD) for liquid lead times.

Admittedly haven't had it long, but so far really loving it. Probably pick up a second 2x12 soon.

Good mentions here.

Used KSR Orthos is great. VHT/Fryette Sig X can be found for about $1k pretty regularly and is one of my all time favorite amps. Splawn Quick Rod will do it. Mesa Mark V for sure. Just learn how the controls work before giving up on it! Also a Helix LT and Quilter amp for power will give you a TON of options.

Racerxrated":1wdrd1g1 said:
swamptrashstompboxes":1wdrd1g1 said:
I am still in the Mesa Mark camp too. Look for an IV combo. Should be under $800.
Couple years ago, yes...800 or even less. Nowadays I see them for 1K or more. You have a better chance at a MkIII under a grand than a IV.

I haven't been looking at the market for MkIV but it's still in his budget if it's around a grand.

I will snag a mkiii some time but it will be a while. Other priorities first.

Alright, so Mesa Mark V or older, KSR Orthos, and the 5150 III all got a few nods, so I'll dive deeper.

Opinions on the V vs. IV vs. III? I'm sure there's threads here.

Thanks again!

I will say, right now, as much my ears dig a Triptik or Mark V most, the Mark IV might be best for my wallet...

Back