VH4 and JMP-1 preamp

slivoid

Hello !

I would plug a Marshall JMP-1 preamp on my VH4, in order to have a dirty sound, but only once in a while..
Is it possible to plug on the front of the amp, in place of Fulltone OCD ?

I'm not very good at wiring...

Thanks a lot ! ;)

In principle you can do it but not without further effort. The JMP1 preamp delivers a line level signal at its output. The VH4 input however needs a instrument level signal on its input. So you have to convert the JMP1 output signal to instrument level with a device like the Ebtech Line Shifter. Otherwise you overload the input of the VH4.

The prefered solution is to put the JMP1 output into the serial return of the VH4, bypassing the VH4 preamp. Still you would need an additional looper device to be able to switch between the VH4 preamp and JMP1 preamp.

Hope that helped.

Thanks for your answer ;)
I think I understood de wiring.
I made a quick drawing.
It's a good starting point ?

jmp1wiring.jpg

Thanks again :thumbsup:

what about using the "vh4 thru" to "jmp in" and the "jmp out" to "vh4 parallel return" and switching the loop on per midi (having the parallel vol on front turned all up). that only works when the the loop switch switches the retun, not the send though... worth a try

Is the parallel loop are not best suited for digital multi-effects (ADA conversion) dixit VH4 Manual ?

But I can also try this, the advantage is to not need a looper ! :yes:

Elfredo, that won't work. The parallel return is always active. It's the parellel send that gets switched on and off.

Slivoid, the best option is a combination. Use the option from your diagram and use the parallel return instead of the serial (because I'm pretty sure if you plug into the serial return the VH4's signal is broken and you'll only hear the jmp.

OK, will try this option. ;)

I changed my diagram with your option, it can be used for other persons ;)

jmp1wiring.jpg

slyvren":htqoq9y6 said:
Elfredo, that won't work. The parallel return is always active. It's the parellel send that gets switched on and off.

Slivoid, the best option is a combination. Use the option from your diagram and use the parallel return instead of the serial (because I'm pretty sure if you plug into the serial return the VH4's signal is broken and you'll only hear the jmp.

oh, ok... that's what i feared.

BUT: what if you plugged it the way i mentioned and
1) when you want the vh4 to roar: make a patch on the jmp that mutes (vol=0), vh4-send2=off --> vh4 on, no signal from jmp
2) when you want the jmp to scream: make normal patch on the jmp, vh4-send2=on --> vh4 muted, signal from jmp

elfredoo":b2qji8aw said:
slyvren":b2qji8aw said:

oh, ok... that's what i feared.

BUT: what if you plugged it the way i mentioned and
1) when you want the vh4 to roar: make a patch on the jmp that mutes (vol=0), vh4-send2=off --> vh4 on, no signal from jmp
2) when you want the jmp to scream: make normal patch on the jmp, vh4-send2=on --> vh4 muted, signal from jmp

Oh ! Very interesting !
I have a midi foot controller, to switch the VH4 channels.
I could also switch the JMP :thumbsup:

send 2 is a parallel send... That means that it won't mute the head when activated. Your option might work if he sets a patch to activate the mute function on the vh4. I'm unsure if it mutes just the sends or both the sends and returns. I'd test it but I won't be able to for a few days.

Try both and see what happens!

I know parallel will work because I've used it before in a similar application (plus you have a volume knob to control it).

Edit: I'm pretty sure the serial return will not work. In the manual it says it interrupts the signal.

Also, if you try the other suggested method you might want to try making an actual mute patch for the vh4. Activating the send 2 function WILL NOT mute the vh4 regardless if something is inserted in the send2 jack or not. Parallel doesn't work that way.

My band mate tried a jmp1 with my herbert. But I wasn´t in our practice room.
He told me it was nice, but nothing what the Herbert couldn´t do without it. It´s only a gimmick, nothing more!

The VH4 has four huge channels and with them you can get any sound you want.
I don´t own Marshalls any more. But I am a Marshall Fanguy from the first day(and still am), but if you crank pres, treb and mids and reduce bass and deep, you can get a very hot Marshall sound. (and use a marshall cab with greenbacks if you want)

Bato":3ix7v68o said:
My band mate tried a jmp1 with my herbert. But I wasn´t in our practice room.
He told me it was nice, but nothing what the Herbert couldn´t do without it. It´s only a gimmick, nothing more!

The VH4 has four huge channels and with them you can get any sound you want.
I don´t own Marshalls any more. But I am a Marshall Fanguy from the first day(and still am), but if you crank pres, treb and mids and reduce bass and deep, you can get a very hot Marshall sound. (and use a marshall cab with greenbacks if you want)

Hi !
I do not agree with that.
The four channels of the VH4 are impressive, and sound very great, but it's not possible to get a "Marshall sound".
I tried with a lot of settings, and finally, I use the OCD in front of amp to get there, before buying the JMP.
The VH4 has a lot of medium and bass, but the trebles are not piercing (sorry for my vocabulary...)
This is what I'm looking for :)

Do you use a input buffer in front of your amp?
I played once an older vh4. It pierced in ch2 like hell?!

slyvren":3mbjw2sa said:
send 2 is a parallel send... That means that it won't mute the head when activated. Your option might work if he sets a patch to activate the mute function on the vh4. I'm unsure if it mutes just the sends or both the sends and returns. I'd test it but I won't be able to for a few days.

or take ch1 and plug a blind jack into channel insert send and activate channel insert... (for muting the vh4)

Bato":3uq4bn19 said:
Do you use a input buffer in front of your amp?
I played once an older vh4. It pierced in ch2 like hell?!

I have a TU-3 (with buffer) before VH4 but I tried without and with a CAE Booster. Same result...
Warning : Ch2 sound great, very great ! But it does not deliver enough treble. (at my opinion)

elfredoo":3uq4bn19 said:
slyvren":3uq4bn19 said:

or take ch1 and plug a blind jack into channel insert send and activate channel insert... (for muting the vh4)

I'm completly lost... :confused:
But there is no danger, I will try all these combinations in order to found the better option !
A blind jack is a jack with the tip and ring soldered together ?

Back