VHT 2150 vs Mesa Strategy 400

peterc52

Always wanted a Strategy 400 like Metallica 😎 to slave my IIC+ into.

But nowhere to be found in Denmark.

Now found a purple 2150 I’m getting on Sunday. Have anyone tried both?

IMG_5403.jpeg

I had a S400. It's a monster; becomes very 3D IF you have 12 Sylvania 6L6GCs...still killer with other tubes of course. Very clear, does color your sound a bit with the 6L6s. Great amp.
I haven't played a 2150 but from what I've read, I'd bet as great as the S400 is the 2150 is even better in clarity/3D/non coloring your sound.

That amp you have is EXTREMELY rare and valuable. More rare and valuable than the S400. I'd keep the 2150 and bide your time for an S400 to eventually pop up.

I didn’t own the 2 at the same time and stupidly didn’t know about the mono input of the S400 back then, but at least off memory using just one side of the S400 I prefer my 2150

When compared, the S400 sounded very similar to me as going into the poweramp of my mark iii++ coli or iic+ hrg without their geq’s engaged, but a little less lively than going into those amps. It was actually kind of disappointing for me, but the mono input could’ve been a game changer for size at least, probably not tone

Last edited:
I had a S400. It's a monster; becomes very 3D IF you have 12 Sylvania 6L6GCs...still killer with other tubes of course. Very clear, does color your sound a bit with the 6L6s. Great amp.
I haven't played a 2150 but from what I've read, I'd bet as great as the S400 is the 2150 is even better in clarity/3D/non coloring your sound.

That amp you have is EXTREMELY rare and valuable. More rare and valuable than the S400. I'd keep the 2150 and bide your time for an S400 to eventually pop up.
I found they both color in the way you’d expect. The S400 to me had that boogie mark-ish type flavor and my 2150 definitely has the VHT/Fryette flavor that by nature comes off more neutral. I don’t really find either to stick out as super 3D, especially vs the Langner Brutus (that is 3D to me). I find the 2150 to be more about sounding clear, precise and well balanced rather than something that makes you think wow how 3D/complex like say a ‘60’s Alnico blue, Jim Kelley, or Klon

My monster guitar rack that I had assembled with my Strategy 400 stereo tube power amp. I sold it to ckooooooooooooooo on this forum.
Guitar rack #1.JPG

I liked the 2150 better when paired with stand alone rack preamps. Gave the preamps a bit more lively amp head feel
I liked the 400 better when slaving entire amplifier heads through them. It's slightly less colored, which allows the full amp tone to come through a bit more unadulterated.

For metal I just prefer the VHT 2/90/2. The Mesa amps sound softer and better for HIFI audio. For guitar the VHT stuff is just the best and most aggressive.

For metal I just prefer the VHT 2/90/2. The Mesa amps sound softer and better for HIFI audio. For guitar the VHT stuff is just the best and most aggressive.
??
Hi Fi Audio? Really? Don't know about that one. I'd never say that about the S400 I had. It was a beast; not soft at all. Fucking monster. I just think the 2150 is so rare, I'd keep it and bide my time for a 400.
When I slaved the SRG C+ I had, I could see my windows shake. I came close to shattering those windows. It's a killer amp, made for slaving Mesa amps to it. There's a reason Metallica used them.

??
Hi Fi Audio? Really? Don't know about that one. I'd never say that about the S400 I had. It was a beast; not soft at all. Fucking monster. I just think the 2150 is so rare, I'd keep it and bide my time for a 400.
When I slaved the SRG C+ I had, I could see my windows shake. I came close to shattering those windows. It's a killer amp, made for slaving Mesa amps to it. There's a reason Metallica used them.
The S400 is THE one tube amp pilfered by home studio owners for powering stereos for their THD and pleasing response. These amps are so powerful they’re finding their way into uses for many purposes beyond playing metallica.

I find the 2150 and VHT poweramps in general more pleasing for metal than Mesa. The highs are more detailed and the overall response isn’t as relaxed as Mesa.

You’re not the only person with an opinion and I’d take a 2/90/2 over a S400 anyday.

I've never played the VHT and I dont doubt the hype that surrounds it. That said, I love the S400...and with the added depth controls for each channel, it's a monster. I actually run it with 6L6's and EL34's to keep more of that British flavor.

Back