VHX vs VH2/VH4?

Xman1991

I'm in the market for my first Diezel and considering between a VHX or a VH2/VH4. Like I'm sure many others here, I'm a huge Adam Jones fanboy and going for his 10k Days/Fear Inoculum tone. I already have a Marshall that I will be using in the mix.

I love all the extra features the VHX offers but I'm wondering exactly how close it will get me to the VH4 channel 3 tone? Does anyone who has experience with both amps care to comment on how close it can get? Also should I be concerned about the VHX not holding its value well down the road?

If it's at all possible, these amps - Diezels most certainly, but between the specific 3 models you've mentioned - really require you to sit down and play in front of them. If you can - and you really should try to - as they're all pretty hefty investments. Now, I've NOT played the VHX, but I have full confidence in Diezel as a company and as perfectionists, that what they've achieved in melding both modelling and true tube-amp Diezel architecture, they've achieved perfectly. I love what I see as a VERY functional and adaptable amp in the VHX - with the utmost Diezel quality guaranteed. However...

What I can't say for certainty is that it will "nail" the Ch.3 VH4 tone and feel. I can't say that with certainty. The reason I say this is, I have had several VH4s over the years, included a VH4S stereo unit, I've had the pre-2007 and post 2007 models, etc. Every time I got to Ch.3 - I could tell that was the golden key to the amps core nature and tone. Did they all sound the same? No. Did they all sound awesome? Yes. But I've never sat in front of any other Diezel amp and have said "this is exactly like Ch.3 of the VH4". The Hagen gets *very* close with proper tone tweaks and playing technique, but it's not at all "exact". So - are you into getting a head for 1 channel?? Or are you more into the quality and uniqueness of Diezels tone overall matched with highly adaptable DI/modelling/routing options as a "do-all" head?? That's what you have to ask yourself.

As for the VH2 - I have played it. Not mine, but I spent some time with it. It's 2nd channel is pretty damn good - like, really damn good - at getting the VH4 Ch.3 tone, but?? It's still not 100% the same. Maybe it's the feel that's different - don't get me wrong - it slays, sounds awesome, and yes, can pass for Ch.3 of a VH4 in some sounds, but it's missing the string-under-finger-feedback feel and connection. It's 1st channel is incredible too.

As for the latest VH4 - I can honestly say - having spun the wheel with all amps, the VH4 is still a jaw-dropping glorious masterpiece of an amp. I love love love my Hagen, but since I've jumped back to having my VH4 in my sound room??? I understand what started the whole obsession for me - it's not "just" Ch.3 - the whole amp - all 4 channels - and the tweakability to move the tone controls WAY outside of normal amps values, and the alchemy between the MV vs CVs to get totally different tones and feels - the VH4, is definitely, on its own, the trademark Diezel tone and feel - bar none. And whereas before I used mostly Ch.3?? I find I using all the channels now - just as I do with my Hagen, D-Moll, etc. It's a tight, unforgiving amp, and my playing needs to be accurate - but so long as I know that going in - the connection between me and it is incomparable. Seriously - it's something you need to consider as a "four channel amp" and not "just" Ch.3.

Hope this helps.
UnkleMo

I'm in the market for my first Diezel and considering between a VHX or a VH2/VH4. Like I'm sure many others here, I'm a huge Adam Jones fanboy and going for his 10k Days/Fear Inoculum tone. I already have a Marshall that I will be using in the mix.

I love all the extra features the VHX offers but I'm wondering exactly how close it will get me to the VH4 channel 3 tone? Does anyone who has experience with both amps care to comment on how close it can get? Also should I be concerned about the VHX not holding its value well down the road?
I had posted this in another thread but thought I'd repost here since it's directly related. I also reposted the video, but be aware my YT channel is pretty lame. I just like to make videos for fun. Also, to be clear, I don't have any experience with the VHX; but, between the VH4 and the VH2, I'd choose the VH2 every time.

Repost from other thread:

I had a VH4 and sold it for a VH2. I think the VH2 is plenty of amp for most people and has more usable features for most non-or-semi professional players. Check it out below.

I do think the VH2 (and VH4) are very compressed, but that's what I like about them. It's almost like a Keeley compressor is built into the amp. For hard rock solos, they're especially unbeatable. The feel under your fingers is amazing and the amp responds exactly the way you want it to.

Some people have said they feel the VH2 and VH4 sound different but I think they can be dialed in 99% the same. Some also say the VH2 is "looser" than the VH4 but, having owned both, I don't feel that way either. Peter Diezel says the VH2 is a touch more "modern" and, as I call out in the video, I think that's a fancy way of saying "produced."

Think about it: do you know what Adam Jones' tone in-the-room is? Have you been in the room while he's playing? No, of course not. You know what his recorded tone sounds like. That's a produced sound. It's been touched by microphones, mic preamps, the mixing console, sound engineers, the producer, the mastering technician, etc. The VH2 sounds more like that. It gives you a slightly more produced sound. The VH4 is just a touch more "raw."

An analogy I make in the video is that a Friedman is a produced Marshall. That's literally what Dave did. He gave you a hot-rodded, produced Marshall sound in the room. Peter Diezel has done the same with the voicing on the VH2. He's giving you a produced Diezel sound in the room. He also made CH1 on the VH2 much more usable than CH1/CH2 on the VH4: the cleans are cleaner and more compressed (i.e., produced) and the dirtier sounds are a bit smoother.

I dig my VH2. Great amp. Gets a ton of compliments every time I use it.

If it's at all possible, these amps - Diezels most certainly, but between the specific 3 models you've mentioned - really require you to sit down and play in front of them. If you can - and you really should try to - as they're all pretty hefty investments. Now, I've NOT played the VHX, but I have full confidence in Diezel as a company and as perfectionists, that what they've achieved in melding both modelling and true tube-amp Diezel architecture, they've achieved perfectly. I love what I see as a VERY functional and adaptable amp in the VHX - with the utmost Diezel quality guaranteed. However...

What I can't say for certainty is that it will "nail" the Ch.3 VH4 tone and feel. I can't say that with certainty. The reason I say this is, I have had several VH4s over the years, included a VH4S stereo unit, I've had the pre-2007 and post 2007 models, etc. Every time I got to Ch.3 - I could tell that was the golden key to the amps core nature and tone. Did they all sound the same? No. Did they all sound awesome? Yes. But I've never sat in front of any other Diezel amp and have said "this is exactly like Ch.3 of the VH4". The Hagen gets *very* close with proper tone tweaks and playing technique, but it's not at all "exact". So - are you into getting a head for 1 channel?? Or are you more into the quality and uniqueness of Diezels tone overall matched with highly adaptable DI/modelling/routing options as a "do-all" head?? That's what you have to ask yourself.

As for the VH2 - I have played it. Not mine, but I spent some time with it. It's 2nd channel is pretty damn good - like, really damn good - at getting the VH4 Ch.3 tone, but?? It's still not 100% the same. Maybe it's the feel that's different - don't get me wrong - it slays, sounds awesome, and yes, can pass for Ch.3 of a VH4 in some sounds, but it's missing the string-under-finger-feedback feel and connection. It's 1st channel is incredible too.

As for the latest VH4 - I can honestly say - having spun the wheel with all amps, the VH4 is still a jaw-dropping glorious masterpiece of an amp. I love love love my Hagen, but since I've jumped back to having my VH4 in my sound room??? I understand what started the whole obsession for me - it's not "just" Ch.3 - the whole amp - all 4 channels - and the tweakability to move the tone controls WAY outside of normal amps values, and the alchemy between the MV vs CVs to get totally different tones and feels - the VH4, is definitely, on its own, the trademark Diezel tone and feel - bar none. And whereas before I used mostly Ch.3?? I find I using all the channels now - just as I do with my Hagen, D-Moll, etc. It's a tight, unforgiving amp, and my playing needs to be accurate - but so long as I know that going in - the connection between me and it is incomparable. Seriously - it's something you need to consider as a "four channel amp" and not "just" Ch.3.

Hope this helps.
UnkleMo
I love channel 4 the most . Even for rhythm guitar it’s super tight and thick and not too much .

I love channel 4 the most . Even for rhythm guitar it’s super tight and thick and not too much .
You're not kidding - Ch.4 is a channel that can do an entire song no sweat - and with fkn AWESOME tone... It's incredibly versatile and sounds SO good.

Yes, the VH4 is a 4 channel amp - all channels each worth their own respect and credibility.

Ch.4 is glorious :rock:

You're not kidding - Ch.4 is a channel that can do an entire song no sweat - and with fkn AWESOME tone... It's incredibly versatile and sounds SO good.

Yes, the VH4 is a 4 channel amp - all channels each worth their own respect and credibility.

Ch.4 is glorious :rock:
I totally agree ! I’m shocked as to why I don’t hear people talk more about channel 4

The VHX was my first Diezel amp too. I've bought (used) and sold two of them since May. My advice is to skip it altogether, unless you've had significant time in front of one and have decided you like it. It's not "all the Diezel amps in one box." It's a new amp altogether and one I wasn't a fan of. I would describe it as loose and muddy (around the 300Hz region). Had a hard time making it sound the way I wanted. The highlights were Ch1, Ch3 and the FX.

After owning the second VHX for a time and doing a lot of critical listening and A/Bing with the brainworx VH4 plugin, I decided the VHX could not copy the VH4. I sold it and bought a used 2020 VH4. It sounded and felt completely different from the VHX in a good way.

I highly recommend looking for a used VH2/VH4 instead of the VHX.

The VHX was my first Diezel amp too. I've bought (used) and sold two of them since May. My advice is to skip it altogether, unless you've had significant time in front of one and have decided you like it. It's not "all the Diezel amps in one box." It's a new amp altogether and one I wasn't a fan of. I would describe it as loose and muddy (around the 300Hz region). Had a hard time making it sound the way I wanted. The highlights were Ch1, Ch3 and the FX.

After owning the second VHX for a time and doing a lot of critical listening and A/Bing with the brainworx VH4 plugin, I decided the VHX could not copy the VH4. I sold it and bought a used 2020 VH4. It sounded and felt completely different from the VHX in a good way.

Thank you so much for this, there was indeed a bug where the configuration was stuck into "Hagen" mode even on shape 1 or 0 (where 0 should have been VH4).

I'm not sure yet on what firmware this bug was introduced but It will be fixed as soon as possible.

Ps. It really looks like you don't like Hagen :)

Thank you and have fun with the VH4!

I haven’t played a VHX but this sounds exactly like the character of JJ KT77’s taking over.
They have a tubby bump in the nondescript upper bass that can’t be completely dialed out, makes the amp killer for sludge doom and not much else , It’s not subtle.
Can’t stand them in the Herbert , in the VH4 they are tolerable but definitely not my preference.
For my ear ,
Herbert MK1, EL34BSTR
VH4 (2000), GL KT77 or JJ 6L6 biased cold.
Schmidt GL KT77 by miles.
Power tubes make a huge difference in the tonal response of Diezel Amps.

I haven’t played a VHX but this sounds exactly like the character of JJ KT77’s taking over.
They have a tubby bump in the nondescript upper bass that can’t be completely dialed out, makes the amp killer for sludge doom and not much else , It’s not subtle.
Can’t stand them in the Herbert , in the VH4 they are tolerable but definitely not my preference.
For my ear ,
Herbert MK1, EL34BSTR
I can never vibe with the kt77s in any way . I have a Herbert mk 1 and a mk 3 and a vh4 . I had to get them out and then im happy .

For my ear ,
Herbert MK1, EL34BSTR
My VH4 has JJ KT77s as well. It's tight and responsive. Sounds/feels completely different to the VHX. It's not the tubes, it's way the circuit is designed.

My VH4 has JJ KT77s as well. It's tight and responsive. Sounds/feels completely different to the VHX. It's not the tubes, it's way the circuit is designed.
Bug was found and fixed, new version will be released next week!

Ps. The circuit is not designed any differently from the other amps, it was a software bug and I'm really sorry for it.

Thank you

As a non-VH4 owning VHX owner, I've been super pleased with what I can get from it with regards to the Adam Jones sound. I'm not as die hard about exact as others might be, and I've never played a VH4 enough to really say I have, but the VHX is scratching the itch quite well, as well as offering a plethora of other tangential sounds, and other sounds all together.

Back