Pulling the Trigger on a VHX... (I think I am... Just some questions)

MesaSean

Hey everyone! Been GASsing hard for a VHX. I have had a Herbert, early 2000's VH4 and a 2020 VH4 now. I use a Ground Control Pro for my VH4 and a number of pedals (standard FX like on the VHX) and love Midi presets.

So here are some questions I have.

Is it worth waiting for a dealership to get one in so i get warranty? I see some on Reverb but also had a nightmare situation with my VH4 in 2020 and in a nutshell, had to have it replaced by my dealer. There really is only one place in Ca who repairs them it seems. So warranty or repairs are a concern.

Can it sound good at bedroom volume? I use a Bugera PS-1 (love that thing) to tame the VH4 to play at bedroom or medium volume and not annoy my neighbors when they are home.

I am assuming storing presets on a GC Pro is simple as choosing a patch and hitting store?

How is the EQ on the VHX? I feel the VH4 clean is too dark and not glassy for my taste so I use a 12 band EQ in the channel insert to bring out the chime.

I use a Diezel 4X12 so I am assuming I also turn cab sim off?

Is it easy to update the firmware? Just connect my laptop via USB?

What exact amps does it have in it besides the VH4 and Herbert?

Thanks so much in advance! Sorry for so many questions, but big purchase and obviously want to cover my bases. I doubt I will sell my VH4 but I am getting tired of the pedal/wire/noisey setup. I want a Diezel tone with a Midi GC Pro and less wires and the VHX looks amazing.

Thanks!

Hey man! I am a new VHX owner (2 months now) and I absolutely LOVE mine! Definitely recommend.

It is built like a tank, like any other Diezel, but with so much going on, I would get it from a dealer with warranty. Just in case.

Good at bedroom volume; better than my old VH4 and even better than my Herbert...which is really good for such a monster amp!

Yup. Once you have made your preset the way you wish, it is as easy as pressing save to whatever channel you want on your switcher.

How is the eq? Overall more powerful than on a standard Diezel; it covers a wide range. You do also have a graphic eq in your effects section you can put in for even more sculpting. That said, with the tone shaping options in the amp part, you can dial in anything from lean and chimey to fat and warm. For what you are after, I use Vintage setting, bright on, mids dialed back, treble and presence around .60 :)

Yes, cab sim off. Page just for that....easy to turn on/off and also easy to select your speaker/mic set up if you want to use that.

I have the latest firmware and have not had to update yet. Looks pretty straightforward though.

There are not really "built in" Diezel models per say. Think of the VHX as a new 100 watt Diezel head that via the shape and mode switching, changes components values that allow you to accurately get other Diezel tones if you wish.

For example: blue channel, classic and 0 (tight) is like a very modern VH4 channel 3....and it really is! Red channel, modern and 1 would be like Herbert's channel 3. You can get some unique tones as well. Like, blue channel, modern and 0 with some mid cut is like a Herbert 2+/VH4 chan3 mashup: modern, uber tight and punchy and vicious!

Another thing I personally love about my VHX is the feel of the amp and how you can modify that aspect. With some of the Hagen style settings (classic, 2) I can get the amp bouncy and chewy like my Bogner Ecstasy 101b! Or as tight and dry as my Ultralead.

Attachments

• 20220902_183047.jpg
    20220902_183047.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 50
Wow I am really sold now hehe. T
Hey man! I am a new VHX owner (2 months now) and I absolutely LOVE mine! Definitely recommend.

It is built like a tank, like any other Diezel, but with so much going on, I would get it from a dealer with warranty. Just in case.

Good at bedroom volume; better than my old VH4 and even better than my Herbert...which is really good for such a monster amp!

Yup. Once you have made your preset the way you wish, it is as easy as pressing save to whatever channel you want on your switcher.

How is the eq? Overall more powerful than on a standard Diezel; it covers a wide range. You do also have a graphic eq in your effects section you can put in for even more sculpting. That said, with the tone shaping options in the amp part, you can dial in anything from lean and chimey to fat and warm. For what you are after, I use Vintage setting, bright on, mids dialed back, treble and presence around .60 :)

Yes, cab sim off. Page just for that....easy to turn on/off and also easy to select your speaker/mic set up if you want to use that.

I have the latest firmware and have not had to update yet. Looks pretty straightforward though.

There are not really "built in" Diezel models per say. Think of the VHX as a new 100 watt Diezel head that via the shape and mode switching, changes components values that allow you to accurately get other Diezel tones if you wish.

For example: blue channel, classic and 0 (tight) is like a very modern VH4 channel 3....and it really is! Red channel, modern and 1 would be like Herbert's channel 3. You can get some unique tones as well. Like, blue channel, modern and 0 with some mid cut is like a Herbert 2+/VH4 chan3 mashup: modern, uber tight and punchy and vicious!

Another thing I personally love about my VHX is the feel of the amp and how you can modify that aspect. With some of the Hagen style settings (classic, 2) I can get the amp bouncy and chewy like my Bogner Ecstasy 101b! Or as tight and dry as my Ultralead.
Man you are killing me! I need it now hehe. Thanks for the detailed response and glad you are happy with it.

Gonna get it before the holidays I think.

Also on FaceBook someone posted this that L:eo posted:

VH4 Silverface is VHX shape 0 Classic
VH4 Blueface is VHX shape 0 Early
Herbert is VHX shape 1 classic
Hagen is VHX shape 2 classic
Green is CH1, yellow is CH2/Herb CH2-, blue is CH3/Herb CH2+, red is CH4/Herb CH3
On Green and Yellow you have the Bright option, while the shape number is only on Blue and Red.
All other VHX combinations are not really representative of any other existing Diezel.

Man you are killing me! I need it now hehe. Thanks for the detailed response and glad you are happy with it.

Green is CH1, yellow is CH2/Herb CH2-, blue is CH3/Herb CH2+, red is CH4/Herb CH3
On Green and Yellow you have the Bright option, while the shape number is only on Blue and Red.
All other VHX combinations are not really representative of any other existing Diezel.
You are welcome man and if you have any other questions, you can always message me or post away here; lots of SUPER knowledgeable and classy folks here who know their stuff!

I really do love mine and for what you are after and already digging the core "Diezel sound" I think you will love it as well. The onboard effects are really top notch as well and for everything the amp can do, it is easy to use and a actually a good bang for the buck (albeit and expensive bang for the buck).

Huh....you learn something new. I thought Herbert was: Modern-1 not Classic-1. Maybe that is why I haven't quite nailed the Herbert tone! Lol! I will say though, that the other settings really do get you most of the way to VH4 and Hagen tone. As for the Blueface tone, my friend has one, so hopefully I can compare soon!

giphy.gif

Which Wizard model do you think would blend well with the Diezel?

I’ve got the VHX but I was looking for a high-end metal leaning Marshall to compliment it. I was mulling over the MTL/MCII hybrid for that reason.

I've got a MCII and it blends very well with the Diezel tones (VH4, Hagen and VHX). It covers a different part of the frequency spectrum and they sound amazing blended together. I don't have experience with the other Wizard amps though.

Which Wizard model do you think would blend well with the Diezel?

I’ve got the VHX but I was looking for a high-end metal leaning Marshall to compliment it. I was mulling over the MTL/MCII hybrid for that reason.
I blend my Wizard MTL2 with my Herbert mk 1 . It’s a gigantic beautiful thick even tone . They blend great . I have a vh4 and Herbert mk 3 but the mk 1 with 6l6s I’m it still my favorite

Back