Vintage audio receiver

That thing looks cool as hell. I need to invest in a nice stereo, my life revolves around music yet I’ve never had any kind of real stereo set up

i have an old Philco stereo, turntable,...the furniture stereo! still works...tubes in it sound incredible. got a technics out in my shop from about 82/83, still kicking. i just know its full of dirt and shit...

whilst not quite 70/80's circa, i've got a 90's audio receiver. i bought it from Circuit city after getting married. so the DISH tech had to show up at my house couple years ago... and make a few adjustments in the yard. anyway, she wanted to show off her "new technology" audio processer with bluetooth and emulated SS...blah. i thanked her kindly for her time and declined to have it demo'd, much less buy the damn thing (i've got a system here that works just fine). she looks at and says... i'll out pace that thing quickly. LOL... i fired mine up, she fired hers up and started running the volumes up...i had her squealing in no time. my old 90's shit SMOKED her new technology. it was glorious.

I run a quad of tri amped Braun LV1020 from the early 70's. Guy in my area is amazing with speakers. I had him do my surrounds. The transistors kept going but I just fix the built in amps and have 8 spares. I drive it with a Dynaco copy tube preamp with NOS Mullard glass and use an old Marrantz EQ. Good stuff.

There is a guy on ebay that sells refurb kits for the various boards in Marantz receivers. The one I just got has some serious hiss and he has been very helpful. I have a preamp board kit incoming that he feels will likely fix that. Apparently some of the transistors age worse than anything else in the amp and need to be replaced. He suggests leaving everything that's working alone.

And down another rabbit hole we go.

To quote Mike Tyson; "Punches like a mule kicks."

20211023_084313.jpg

Back