Wait a Minute... What About The Friedman JJ?

-I would definitely try the -BUTTAH- with its own cab before deciding on any other cab-

-its physically & sonically -FUCKIN UGE!!!-

SavageRiffer":o9sc36g1 said:
Fuck it. I'm getting a JJ.
Atta boy. Make sure you order the extra MV for the JBE channel, really helps...

Fucking KILLER amp. Oozes grinding pounding goodness. And I've been though a couple amps lemme tell ya :LOL: :LOL:

Gratz man!! Let us know when the "eagle has landed" :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Ventura":r9rwnuoo said:
SavageRiffer":r9rwnuoo said:

Fucking KILLER amp. Oozes grinding pounding goodness. And I've been though a couple amps lemme tell ya :LOL: :LOL:

Gratz man!! Let us know when the "eagle has landed" :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Well - I meant a *used* JJ.

Congrats bro, let us know how the JJ works out for you. I LOVE my Butterslax and only today have i stopped playing it to play my MarkIII ( trying new tubes with it )

SavageRiffer":2ix1q0za said:
Ventura":2ix1q0za said:
SavageRiffer":2ix1q0za said:

Well - I meant a *used* JJ.
It's a really popular option, I'd not be surprised to see 50% if not more of them with this MV option added in the resale marketplace, just FYI.

Keep your eyes peeled, it's a small wait or upcharge, but it makes a very real difference as I can't imagine me "gelling" with my amp as much as I have if it wasn't for the MV... It would be a big PITA if I didn't have the MV, just IMHO, YMMV.

Peace

People still diggin their JJ100s or moved on? So many great amps out there to choose from. I sold the Slax (had to fund a new car), but miss it in terms of the punch and aggressiveness. I'd consider another Slax, but if I find a good deal on a modded JJ100, I'll consider pulling the trigger.

Already got a BE50, but I want a 100watter for bigger gigs.

...And, is the JJ really 'darker'? That makes me concerned, thinking that it won't cut in a mix as good as the BE or Slax?

Cheers.

I want a Slax sooo bad. I'm starting a part time job this week to start saving for one. Maybe I can afford it by the end of the year....

I've read quite a few people say the Channel 2 of the Slax is like the JBE with 'more'. Is that the consensus? Channel 2 on Slax was perfect for me.

I'm looking forward to seeing more about the BE-100 DLX. Dave said it has as much gain as the Butterslax and the tone knob can get into the JJ terrirtory. Maybe this is the a one size fits all?

Junk Yard Dog":2v12o6p2 said:
People still diggin their JJ100s or moved on? So many great amps out there to choose from. I sold the Slax (had to fund a new car), but miss it in terms of the punch and aggressiveness. I'd consider another Slax, but if I find a good deal on a modded JJ100, I'll consider pulling the trigger.

Already got a BE50, but I want a 100watter for bigger gigs.

...And, is the JJ really 'darker'? That makes me concerned, thinking that it won't cut in a mix as good as the BE or Slax?

Cheers.

Still loving mine, it'll never leave. There has been one in the classifieds here for a great price for several weeks but I'm not sure if it's modded.

Can anyone speak to the difference the Synergy caps make to the tone of the JJ100? Dave confirmed that the later versions (2016+) come with Synergy caps. I've even contacted Dave directly. Been trying to get an answer for weeks!

SavageRiffer":1gxtsv0r said:
I've owned or at least played more than once every Friedman except the Phil X and Buxom Betty, and I STILL think the JJ is their best amp. I love the BE100, don't get me wrong, but the JJ is just a tad bit better overall. So what's the consensus here? Lots of BE talk lately, but crickets chirping on the JJ. Why?
Haven't read all the comments to this post - but I'm in agreement with you; the JJ100 is the best of the bunch providing you get the added MV for the JBE channel. Set it and forget it - sounds amazing. Not overkill on the technical switches and tonal shaping options, but you don't need it. It's a straight up kickass amp - it can move accordingly from dark to neutral with the presence and choice of cabs.

It's my fave.

Junk Yard Dog":1iptzo98 said:
Can anyone speak to the difference the Synergy caps make to the tone of the JJ100? Dave confirmed that the later versions (2016+) come with Synergy caps. I've even contacted Dave directly. Been trying to get an answer for weeks!
Marketing spin.

Sorry - flamesuit on... Synergy bought Sozo when Sozo was having QC issues and dropped their production quota. Look, if an amp comes out and kicks ass and everyone's happy with it - there's a problem. Because you won't buy another amp. To keep things moving you either have to make revisions to the amp so the GAS gets fed, or discuss nuances like capacitors and shit. IMHO, if the amp sounded good as it was when it came out, there's no sense mincing over the latest and greatest capacitors. Yes, they can make a difference. But are we really benefiting from this difference?? Or just justifying the need to buy into the notion that it's better?

Kool-Aid alert.
And yes, flamesuit is donned :student:

Ventura":3j2x3kvu said:
SavageRiffer":3j2x3kvu said:
I've owned or at least played more than once every Friedman except the Phil X and Buxom Betty, and I STILL think the JJ is their best amp. I love the BE100, don't get me wrong, but the JJ is just a tad bit better overall. So what's the consensus here? Lots of BE talk lately, but crickets chirping on the JJ. Why?
Haven't read all the comments to this post - but I'm in agreement with you; the JJ100 is the best of the bunch providing you get the added MV for the JBE channel. Set it and forget it - sounds amazing. Not overkill on the technical switches and tonal shaping options, but you don't need it. It's a straight up kickass amp - it can move accordingly from dark to neutral with the presence and choice of cabs.

It's my fave.

Cheers, mang. You're a stud and so helpful! I replied to your email. ...How heavy is the JBE (band/Album comparison) and does it cut well in a live mix?

Ventura":3v70j22p said:
Junk Yard Dog":3v70j22p said:
Marketing spin.

Sorry - flamesuit on... Synergy bought Sozo when Sozo was having QC issues and dropped their production quota. Look, if an amp comes out and kicks ass and everyone's happy with it - there's a problem. Because you won't buy another amp. To keep things moving you either have to make revisions to the amp so the GAS gets fed, or discuss nuances like capacitors and shit. IMHO, if the amp sounded good as it was when it came out, there's no sense mincing over the latest and greatest capacitors. Yes, they can make a difference. But are we really benefiting from this difference?? Or just justifying the need to buy into the notion that it's better?

Kool-Aid alert.
And yes, flamesuit is donned :student:

Gotcha. Dave did just reply and say that the mids are a bit 'richer' with the Synergy. ...As long as it's not a drastic difference from say the 2014 BE100 and the 2016+ BE100; to me, there was a big difference, but I presume other changes had a lot to do with that. I prefer the newer, more raw sound of the Friedmans, even though I love the pre-2016 versions as well.

Junk Yard Dog":2s8htzsu said:
Cheers, mang. You're a stud and so helpful! I replied to your email. ...How heavy is the JBE (band/Album comparison) and does it cut well in a live mix?
JBE is great for solos and with the gain pulled back is an awesome rhythm tone too. But overall - Ch.2 for all things, JBE for solo'ing.

Junk Yard Dog":2s8htzsu said:
I've read quite a few people say the Channel 2 of the Slax is like the JBE with 'more'. Is that the consensus? Channel 2 on Slax was perfect for me.
Ya, more diodes :student:

The eagle will land tomorrow. 2014 JJ100 with JBE MV will be here. Looking forward to comparing to my BE50 DLX and the 2017 BE100.

UPDATE:

Received my 2014 JJ100 last night. It has the MV mod for the JBE, which is essential for me.

Played it at band jam and it was great. Definitely a more aggressive BE channel and the JBE is like stepping on an OD boost, but it seems to keep the mids the same, maybe notched back a bit, like it does on the HBE of my BE50 DLX, but maybe adds more highs, lows, gain, compression/saturation.

I kept the EQ at noon except for treble to around 6. Gain at 3:00. ...When I did boost with my TC Spark (big one) with Level on 10 but no Gain, it did get a little 'feedbacky', whereas I didn't hear that happening with my BE100 at those gain settings. ...Thankfully, I have a Zuul on the way!

Great tone and feel. I compared it to my 2017 BE100 at apartment volumes and you can hear that JJ100 is more modern, thicker, but don't cut out the BE100 for metal and modern tones. It's also a beast.

I'm still learning how dial it in. AND, I'm learning how best to use the Master Volume with the BE Master volume, if that makes sense.

I'm into modding, so if I were to mod it, I would maybe add Thump with Frequency and the Response switch or knob found on the BE100 DLX.

More to come.

Back