Warmoth EJ-ish Strat build

SpiderWars

I have several Strats with Floyds/humbuckers but I like having a stratty Strat too. I really wanted an EJ Stories Strat but I'm a nit about 22-frets so I decided to build my own. And since I can't find Sassafras bodies I went way different and got a chambered body. Mahogany back and Maple top...but not too figured and not flamed/curly. Just kind of a natural figure. Vintage style 6-screw bridge. Neck will be roasted one-piece Maple with SRV profile and SS6105 frets. 9.5"-14" compound radius. I'll oil it myself.

I'm thinking of getting flatpole Lollar Blondes for it. This guitar isn't a copy obviously and I kind of hate the old staggered pole thing. I do intend to wire it like Virginia except I don't really care about the Dimarzio bridge pickup detail (I did try it a long time ago). Here is the body.

Warmoth-Yellow-Burst-Mine.jpg

Thanks guys. I even bought a set of Graphtech saddles...so I could use ONE for the high E string. :LOL:

So if anyone wants to do that to a vintage spec Fender bridge, hit me up an I can sell you a single. Pretty much at cost plus shipping.

Wired. I had better get a pic now because I'm a pickup swapper. I started with super cheap ones in neck/bridge.
20201121-120404.jpg

Last edited:
Oiled. I used Dark Walnut tinted Danish Oil on the front of the headstock only to try and set it off a bit, no tint anywhere else. But you can barely tell due to the roast color. Still have to polish frets and soften the ends.

20201121_073930.jpg

I’ve got a chambered mahogany body from Warmoth and it’s got a really big sounding bottom end for a Strat
This doesn't have a big sounding bottom but its not lacking either.

I got some new neck/bridge pickups and it sounds really good and the switching works, it has that out-of-phase tone in the #2 position that is great for Koto stuff.

Named it after my great grandmother, always thought it was a cool name.

20201205-112349.jpg

And another bun in the oven...kind of inspired by Gary Moore's Fiesta Red Strat...even tho this is Dakota Red...with a bridge humbucker. :loco:
254-1.jpg

EJs Virginia had a nylon insert in the saddle on the high-E string only. The Fender Stories guitar gets a Graphtech saddle there instead. I just copied it.

Wow, very nice build. Thank you for sharing! Does the Warmoth SRV profile at all resemble the EJ 'V' profile? So far that is my favorite Fender neck, but agreed on the 21 fret issue.

Thanks!

But I did not like the roasted neck. I don't know why I ever settle for the Warmoth compound radius, I just don't like it. I also thought it didn't look right with the roasted neck. Just today I put this Musikraft QS Flamed maple 1-pc neck on it. I'm not done with the nut, I chipped the low edge 🤬 and have to start another so I decided to just make it playable and try it. Much better.

20210403-144742.jpg

20210403-144825.jpg

Last edited:
Strat Neck Custom Build
  • Construction Type:
    1 Piece Constructed
  • Orientation:
    Right for Right Handed Players
  • Scale Length:
    25.5" Standard Fender
  • Number of Frets:
  • Nut Width: