Went to the ENGL North Hollywood showroom today *VIDEO ADDED

Very cool review Jason, glad I heard from you first about the retro :thumbsup: So I am thinking a more articulate and touch sensitive blackmore would be the retro?

King Guitar":26vz112p said:
yngzaklynch":26vz112p said:
King Guitar":26vz112p said:
ericb":26vz112p said:
yngzaklynch":26vz112p said:

I tried to tell but couldn't . Tones sounded GREAT!!! Too much talking though for me to really concentrate on it :)

Eric

There was no verb or delay, Doug was straight in.

Hmmmm. Tone sounds ambient to me. Then again I used to work on F-14s. Currently I have a 2 and 4 year old running around the house with the Pittsburgh Penguins game on... I listen again tomorrow.

Unless they added it after I was standing there when they filmed that and it was Dougs Hands --> MM Steve Morse --> Cord--> Retro Input.

Brad I don't doubt that. Just wonder of Guitar World didn't add something to it. The amp does sound pretty damn nice. Might be the amp that brings a whole new wave of players to the Engl fold.

yngzaklynch":2b8hby3y said:
King Guitar":2b8hby3y said:
King Guitar":2b8hby3y said:
ericb":2b8hby3y said:

I tried to tell but couldn't . Tones sounded GREAT!!! Too much talking though for me to really concentrate on it :)

Eric

Hmmmm. Tone sounds ambient to me. Then again I used to work on F-14s. Currently I have a 2 and 4 year old running around the house with the Pittsburgh Penguins game on... I listen again tomorrow.

Unless they added it after I was standing there when they filmed that and it was Dougs Hands --> MM Steve Morse --> Cord--> Retro Input.

Brad I don't doubt that. Just wonder of Guitar World didn't add something to it. The amp does sound pretty damn nice. Might be the amp that brings a whole new wave of players to the Engl fold.

Dude, it's not your F-14 hearing, because I hear it too...then again, I also work around turbines... :D

grooveHT":3j25urvu said:
yngzaklynch":3j25urvu said:
King Guitar":3j25urvu said:
King Guitar":3j25urvu said:
ericb":3j25urvu said:

Eric

Dude, it's not your F-14 hearing, because I hear it too...then again, I also work around turbines... :D

:D

very intrigued by the retro, sounds really great

kinda preferred the prototype look tbh, but i guess they might release a faceplate for that ;)

ENGLnewamp.jpg

Sounds killer and you can really hear the h30's :rock:

I think they have a winner on there hands and that amp most definitely covers the bases really well and has PLENTY of gain on tap. :rock:

killertone":3jk9dblb said:
Here is the video. Added to op as well.

Sounds great Jason! Has that chewy organic thing going on like you said. That's what I miss in other Engls. Sounded great from clean to classic rock to modern metal. Strange, but this seems to be one of the most versatile amps in their lineup, at least to my ears. The other ones have features galore, but IMO they lack the warmth to convincingly pull off the classic styles.

BTW, the other video definitely had some verb added.

:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :D :D :D :D

Sounds like Engl Finally made an amp that has everything I thought it was missing. Sounds organic and natural as hell, chewy and roaring, not very compressed (i can tell what it "probably" sounds like in the room in a way. If it sounds that uncompressed on an iphone, I'm sure in the room it is no problem at all) and just very open and natural sounding. Killer!!!!

Awesome playing Jason! Seriously, you have some of the best metal chops I have heard on the boards. The Retro is the best sounding amp in their stable right now (to my ears). I really like what I have heard so far.

ericb":2z6x2cri said:
Here is the video. Added to op as well.

GREAT Demo. .Thanks! Love to hear you playing all those different styles

Eric

Thanks! I was trying to play stuff that was relevant to the tones.

Rezamatix":2z6x2cri said:
great playing man!

:thumbsup:

university81":2z6x2cri said:
very intrigued by the retro, sounds really great

kinda preferred the prototype look tbh, but i guess they might release a faceplate for that ;)

This one looks really good in person. The faceplate things are cool but I prefer the black one! :D

Gainfreak":2z6x2cri said:
Sounds killer and you can really hear the h30's :rock:

I think they have a winner on there hands and that amp most definitely covers the bases really well and has PLENTY of gain on tap. :rock:

Yeah, the cab sounds killer with the H30s.

glassjaw7":2z6x2cri said:
Sounds great Jason! Has that chewy organic thing going on like you said. That's what I miss in other Engls. Sounded great from clean to classic rock to modern metal. Strange, but this seems to be one of the most versatile amps in their lineup, at least to my ears. The other ones have features galore, but IMO they lack the warmth to convincingly pull off the classic styles.

I have owned quite a few ENGLS over the years. This one sounds and feels different than all of them ubtil you get into channel 2 with the boost on, then it gtes that familiar ENGL compression, but it is still a little different than the others. Really great amp for sure.

goldwing68nv":2z6x2cri said:
:yes: tell us more about the "Aldrich" amp model :yes:

Don't know anything. :confused:

VESmedic":2z6x2cri said:
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :D :D :D :D

Sounds like Engl Finally made an amp that has everything I thought it was missing. Sounds organic and natural as hell, chewy and roaring, not very compressed (i can tell what it "probably" sounds like in the room in a way. If it sounds that uncompressed on an iphone, I'm sure in the room it is no problem at all) and just very open and natural sounding. Killer!!!!

Yup, what you said! :thumbsup:

Never thought I'd hear an organic sounding high gain ENGL. Your vid sounds great. I noticed this amp has no presence knob. Does the supposed Class A power section have something to do with that ?

BTW Congrats on your William Riker -ish impeccably groomed beard. Many men are envious. :LOL: :LOL:

Always hard to tell for sure from clips but how loud we're you running it? Did you try it at "band" levels? If so, did it keep its tone/feel? Oh, and nice chops man! Thanks for the vid & review

studiojig":30nepi77 said:
Always hard to tell for sure from clips but how loud we're you running it? Did you try it at "band" levels? If so, did it keep its tone/feel? Oh, and nice chops man! Thanks for the vid & review

Thanks! :thumbsup:

I had it pretty loud for the video, maybe not quite to playing with a drummer but very close. Had it louder when I wasn't filming, like super loud, and it felt great.

Back