What’s an album you love but hate the tones ?

I actually put very little on "guitar tone" until really the early 80's when the full affect of EVH could be felt.

Before that it was it a hodge podge of tones from almost everybody. Artists were rarely consistent from album to album back then.

EVH really was the guy who made an identifiable mark in regards to tone and really, if you think about it they were just trying to capture Ed live.

Anyway for me I just don't analyze it, just enjoy the tunes and take that era before the 80's for what it was in terms of production. Most of my favorite bands are from the 70's but If I sat around analyzing their tone I wouldn't enjoy the music.

Some of the best thrash metal leads ever. Poland isn't exactly a "thrash" guitarist though.
That’s though part of why I like it so much. The leads have a unique flavor to them unlike anything else I’ve heard in metal really, but still fits in context. More creative/interesting. 99% of thrash leads to me are worthless “trash leads” haha (zero musicality or tasteful imo). It’s so rare to find musically good leadwork period, so I really value it in the rare occasions where it’s there. Poland thankfully didn’t suffer from that noodly gobbly gook influence of EVH like most lead players of that time. I still like Marty Friedman’s best leads even more, but think both were great

Last edited:
Some of you guys are nuts. Far Beyond Driven is Pantera's best sounding album hands down, the guitars sound ripping.,

As far as tones I don't like on good albums... there's a lot of Black Sabbath records that have shitty tone IMO. The first two sound great, then Iommi's tone got progressively worse through the 70's.
Sabotage sounds great IMO

“Spheres” by Pestilence. Love this record but always wondered what it would sound like with a more “conventional” tone. A extra bonus is it’s also filled with early Roland guitar synth.

I think the production on that album is too dense. It makes the guitars less defined and muddy. It’s like everything is up front and in your face. No space for the instruments to breathe.
That... and they always go for the "OmGz no samples" kind of tone on the drums that always ends ups just sounding super cardboardy and underproduced and that contrasts so much with the multi-layered guitars, IMO.

Last edited:
Andy Timmons - Resolution; loved Andy's playing on this album, but (to me) the distorted tones were just thick and wooly with no cut to them. I think this album coincided with his mahogany bodied AT-1 signature model being created and used on the album, as well as the switch to Mesa Lonestar amps which may account for that. There is a Hoshino (Ibanez) 90th anniversary video where he plays live with Simon Phillips and his tone is fantastic, but to me, Resolution definitely lost something. A shame, as I like the songs.

Gonna throw another one in here. The album is amazing. The Bass, Keys, Vocals etc are good. But that triggered snare sound and the scooped guitars always annoyed when I listened back. The snare fills sound like a 90s printer.

Another contender for me is Urban Discipline by Biohazard. Great songs, riffs and breakdowns but. Guitars are kind of muddy and washed out. In fact the whole album sounds like a demo…lol
Totally. I threw this on the other day. I used to listen to it quite often, but haven't in a while. I made it through half a song. Muddy and shitty.

Have to disagree on Defenders. It sounds better to me than Screaming does. Then again I haven’t heard the original mixes/masters in forever. Defenders might be my favorite Priest album but it’s impossible for me to really pick one in the end.
Agreed. I've always considered Defenders as an early benchmark in fat tone. The guitars are dark and chorussy, sure, but they also sound big and juicy. Defenders overall sounds 'bigger' than Screaming for Vengeance.
And that over the top snare fookin' rawks! :rock:

While I agree that some of the later Maiden albums are too honky, nasal and suffering from loudness-war induced lack of dynamics (probably right around the time Mr. Harris told Mr. Birch to sod off), PoM and Powerslave are both awesome tone/production-wise in my book. Not the remasters! Those are mixed too modern, like they did with the AC/DC remasters, making certain reverb-tails sound too pronounced.

Here's one that hasn't been mentioned yet. For our thrashing brothers...
Destruction - Infernal Overkill.

Awful wooly fuzzy guitar tones and a 'my first Sony' drumsound.
That unsteady double bass intro in Tormentor sounds like someone spazzin' out on a floor made of bubble-wrap plastic. :scared:

Please hear me out ... the first Badlands album. That guitar tone is SO dry and the mids are SO 'boxy' - but got-DAYUM if Jake doesn't just flat kill it on that album! And the more you listen to it, the more you almost 'like' (???) that weird guitar tone. Not enough words to express the respect I have for the way he flat wrestled all those killer leads and rhythms on that album - but if lower gain, less compression, and sparse effects was what he was going for, then imagine that album recorded through a Wizard. When I listen to that album today, I love it as much if not more than ever. But I have nightmares about being hauled up onto stage at some sort of open mic jam nite, plugging my guitar in, and THAT'S the tone I gotta' work with for how ever long I'm stuck up there!!!
100%! I love all three of the albums even though each one sounds like it was mixed in the closet.

how about the last couple of Mr. big albums since Paul joined the band again? There’s some great songs on there / great tour performances / though the guitar sounds are a turn off 🤷‍♂️

100%! I love all three of the albums even though each one sounds like it was mixed in the closet.

how about the last couple of Mr. big albums since Paul joined the band again? There’s some great songs on there / great tour performances / though the guitar sounds are a turn off 🤷‍♂️
Honestly Paul has never had a great tone riff wise . The first mr big album was a good tone though imo . But idk about the others and l love me big

Most " shredder or progressive player" albums with maybe the exception of vh,al dimeola,Jeff beck,John sykes.etc...and its my favorite style, and it's bugged me for dang near 40 years now but I try to ignore it and just focus on the phenomenal playing.

Last edited:
yeah...earlier SymphonyX albums he used POD...sounds like crap to me too. I believe he switched after Iconoclast or on that album?
Yeah, I think Iconoclast is when he got away from the Line 6 garbage. I think he used a Marshall Monoblock power amp and POD HD preamps, as well as Vettas, live, prior.

He's been using SE's, Powerballs and Fireballs since Iconoclast.

Back