What’s an amp you want to give a second chance

man after owning a half dozen different rectos over the years, try to find an older two channel F or G. this tremoverb was a gamechanger for me and i generally like rectos; but if the other f and G's sound like this i might start hunting a revC or even a pre 500 if i can swing it this year..
my last 3 channel triple rec wasnt even close and i liked that amp..
The only reason I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on another rectifier is that I feel like it's one of those amps that I need to be using with a band on a regular basis to really get my money's worth. It's always anyone's guess how steady that will be, and at the moment the badlander is filling that role perfectly.

The last year or two, I've really come to realize how important it is to have a couple of amps that will work well for at home jamming. After I find out how much it's gonna cost to ship my mark III out for service, we'll see if I can swing a big amp purchase this year. I'll probably go for another 50 watter.

Bogner Ecstasy 6L6. Played one at Make-n-Music in North Hollywood in the early 90s. Was blown away - and had no chance of affording one at that time in my life. Bought a perfect condition used 6L6 XTC a couple years back. Had it for a month. Tried everything I could think of and was at best 'meh'

As much as I loved that first one a played through years (decades?) ago I'd really like to take another swing at it.
Those early xtc’s were bad ass.

The only reason I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on another rectifier is that I feel like it's one of those amps that I need to be using with a band on a regular basis to really get my money's worth. It's always anyone's guess how steady that will be, and at the moment the badlander is filling that role perfectly.

The last year or two, I've really come to realize how important it is to have a couple of amps that will work well for at home jamming. After I find out how much it's gonna cost to ship my mark III out for service, we'll see if I can swing a big amp purchase this year. I'll probably go for another 50 watter.
I get it for sure. I only have one work amp at a time so i can flip it and get another quick if i need to. I have a bugera combo at home to jam on but i need a two notes captorx to use for clips and using for home practice. I pretty much only use orange/modern so its kind of overkill but it sounds so good!

bogner uber. we used one at a local studio for a solo, and i remember wanting to go back and spend some time on rhythm on one to see if i jelled with them...

I have to know more about the rehearsal fire
Was a building that housed probably 12 rehearsal band rooms, PA storage for the local PA company and a studio. I think the 'cause was a space heater left running in one of the rooms. Place was a tinderbox so not surprised once it went forget it. Regardless I lost two Mojave 4x12's, my rack which had some pedals and rack effects, midi loop switcher, wireless, tuner and power supply and my midi pedal board. I never left guitars or my amp, I would always load those up. However we had a late night rehearsal with an early load out and gig the next day/night and the only time I ever left an amp at any rehearsal spot was that night. Damn place burns to the ground, smdh.

I had just gone through flipping several amps and was really digging the QR, was getting it's first gig that weekend. Maybe a months worth rehearsals back n forth with the amp and it ended up rubble. The worst though was losing those Mojave's. Best sounding 4x12's I've ever owned and I got them for a steal. They were loaded with GB's on top and Anni's on the bottom.

Thankfully I had insurance on my gear. I replaced everything but instead of rounding up Mojave's which were already scarce I got a Splawn 4x12 and another QR and bought my first JVM 410 (which is still my main amp) and a great sounding Marshall 4x12. I tried recreating the GB's/Anni's mix with the Splawn but it just didn't have the mojo. And the new QR was just different. Again, not sure what happened there. I actually sold the Splawn 4x12 in a Guitar Center parking lot as I had taken it in to trade on another Marshall 4x12. Pushing it in and a guy asked how much, sold right there.

Last edited:
my 6505+ i havent played in years. its about the only amp i havent bonded with in some way, maybe its time for yet another try lol
I used to own a 5150-II that i traded for a Marshall DSL as i didn't have the money to own both in those days. I'd like to get one back.

I had a Hughes and Kettner Grandmeister 40 and regretted selling it so I bought a BlackSpirit200. Then I realized it had pretty much a similar sound and it's not really for me. There's just something so loose and flabby in the low end and even with a TS boost it doesn't tighten it up as much as I'd like.

This is a great thread, I love seeing what people tossed out for whatever reason then changed their mind.

I keep a lot of stuff. I also find that I discover new sounds sometimes months or years later, with fresh ears and a few new settings. My TSL is the king of this, I loved it at first, then hated it, then loved it again after not playing it for like 3 years (including listing it for sale). Glad I didn't sell it.

Amps I have sold, then bought another of:

-Marshall Silver Jubilee 2555X. I got one, really didn't like it, recorded a quick video but then returned it. I got a lot of flak on the Marshallforum for not liking it, people saying the problem was I didn't use a Les Paul or a SSS Strat with it or whatever. Personally I didn't think that was fair but ultimately I still got bullied into buying another. I still do not like it, but I still have it at the moment but I'd sell it in a second if I didn't want to use it for another quick video (mostly to talk about LED diode clipping since it's really obvious on that amp).

-Orange Dual Dark 50. I got one of these for $1500 and then saw that they were selling for close to $3k. It was an alright amp but I didn't love it, listed it for sale, made a nice chunk of profit. Another one popped up for $1500 so I bought that. I figure I basically got a free amp out of that deal. I still have the second DD50, and I'm on the fence. It doesn't blow me away, and especially now that I have more Oranges I far prefer the Rocker 30 or OR50. But the DD50 does look cool AF and it gets really close to the same type of sounds as those two if you can be disciplined with the gain control, so it's staying for the moment. Plus, they are a bit hard to find, I sure wouldn't pay $3k for one but I'm hesitant to sell it and then regret it.

-Mesa Mark IV. Don't know why I ever sold this one, totally stupid. I thought the V would replace it, it does not, but I was tight on cash. Bought another IV and glad I did, will likely be buried with that one since it's super minty too. I'd be more likely to sell the V than the IV now.

-EVH 5150 III 50w, sort of, I sold the 50w to fund something else but later got the 100w (regular version). I really like the 100w but I remember liking the 50w a lot too. It was more of a sale of necessity than "I didn't like it." I do miss the Resonance control, maybe someday I'll get an S/EL34 model, but I don't find them to be different enough to merit the cost at least for now. On the other hand, I'm not afraid to make the modifications to convert my regular one to S specs, it's just a few caps/resistors/pots...

-Marshall JVM410H. Had one, felt my TSL was just as good in many ways (except the channel switching), sold it. Walked into my local Sam Ash and saw a used one with footswitch for $1000 and talked the guy into giving me the $150 off deal (which I think was for new gear only, oops!). Couldn't resist at that price so I'm sitting on it. It does some really cool gain stage switching and stuff so it'll be fun to talk about sometime.

Amps I sold and didn't replace, but would try again:
-Jet City JCA22. I did a few mods on this, switchable to SLO preamp spec, plus a few of my own values. I only sold this because it was a combo amp and I wanted heads. I'd buy a JCA50 or JCA100 for sure, but lately I'm thinking I'll just buy a real SLO100 or a really good SLO clone instead of a JCA.

-Hiwatt DR103. I went into this expecting something different I think, it was way too loud and clean for my old place. I can play much louder now, and I'd be more willing to try an attenuator with it, so I'd like to give it another go. The main issue is I have a mental block, where any amp over about $2k seems out of reach (yet I just talked about buying an SLO on paragraph ago so, idk).

-Laney AOR50 Series II. This amp had a very gritty distortion, super sloshy, not tight at all unless you reeled it in a bit and boosted. I actually really like the way it sounds recorded though, I have an old clip I uploaded for the guy I sold it to and I think it sounds awesome in that, but I didn't like it much "in the room." Side note, I'd really like to get this one again AND a 6-knob ProTube and compare them, maybe along side a 2203.

-Egnater Renegade. Played one of these when they first came out and thought it was super cool, finally got one like 10 years later (just forgot about it I guess) and really disliked it. Too smooth, too tubby, beautiful cleans though, just not what I remember. Anyway turns out the one I had was modified, and after I sold it I it blew a filter cap or something, the new owner replaced that and apparently loved it. So I'd like to try another one, in good condition and unmodified.

Amps I definitely don't like and wouldn't try again:

This could change of course, but I'm not particularly thrilled with my Blackstar S1046L6, ENGL Retro 50, ENGL InVader 150, Marshall Vintage Modern, Marshall JCM900 Dual Reverb, Mesa TC50, KSR Orthos II, PRS Sonzera, PWE EH3, or Orange Rockerverb Mk III. None of those are BAD amps by any means, but I think I could probably sell those and not really regret much. Worth mentioning that the Marshall JVM410, Marshall 2555X, and Orange DD50 also kind of fall into this category even though I bought those for a second try.

Of course, I'm saying this now, but I bet if I sold the KSR or Mesa TC50 I'd be buying another one in a year so idk. Hard to say. That's why I end up hoarding them all.

Oh, and I also sold a Mesa Dual Rectifier Roadster. I felt it was worse than the 3ch Rectos, and MUCH worse than a Rev G I had at the time. Can't think of a reason I'd buy another one, but it's too bad because I loved the concept. If I could have both channels of a Rev G plus two good clean channels, plus spring reverb, I'd be thrilled. Sadly that is not what the Roadster does.

I only regret selling one amp and would have easily bought again was the Bogner XTC 20th Anniversary. It had 6L6 tubes and it could do everything I wanted and then some. I sold it as I was in the mode of trying lots of amps. If I wasn't so satisfied with my current setup I would get another one in a heartbeat.

Marshall DSL.

The tone stack on Marshalls is so alien to me. I'm used to Rectos and 5150's, and I feel the BMT knobs on Marshalls affect super weird frequencies. But I'd love to give one a second go.

Marshall DSL.

The tone stack on Marshalls is so alien to me. I'm used to Rectos and 5150's, and I feel the BMT knobs on Marshalls affect super weird frequencies. But I'd love to give one a second go.
The DSL's are great amps but I would and I think most others would to, run an OD to tighten them up. It's sorta why they never stuck with me long because I'm just not into running OD's. I prefer to get all the gain out of the amp. For me there was no middle ground it was either to much or not enough when it came to the whoofiness.

There was a great thread on another forum with Santiago they guy who designed the JVM and other Marshalls, and he had said he didn't want the JVM to be whoofy like the DSL can get and that was my exact thoughts.

The day I went to buy the Herbert my dealer had a vh4. I opted for the vh4 even though I liked the Herbert better. I thought look at all the forum cred I’m going to get from having a vh4….it’s long gone….as well as any vestiges of forum cred that I thought I had…I really wish I would have gotten the Herbert.

Carvin Legacy.

I loved it when I had it but it was too Vai-sounding, especially playing a JEM into one. I also hated Marshalls back then and didn’t appreciate them for what they did and how they did it, which the Legacy kinda ‘gets around’ by being fairly smooth right out of the gate. Either my ears are starting to go or I’m just finding a different appreciation for mids and treble and I’d be curious to see where the Legacy sits with me now.

The DSL's are great amps but I would and I think most others would to, run an OD to tighten them up. It's sorta why they never stuck with me long because I'm just not into running OD's. I prefer to get all the gain out of the amp. For me there was no middle ground it was either to much or not enough when it came to the whoofiness.

There was a great thread on another forum with Santiago they guy who designed the JVM and other Marshalls, and he had said he didn't want the JVM to be whoofy like the DSL can get and that was my exact thoughts.
I feel the same way. I have zero problem with anyone using an OD to get "their" tone. It just isn't for me. That's partly why i love my current setup with the 3rd Power Kitchen Sink. Great Marshall tone with no need for a pedal. I have one on my board for flavor but my main tone is my guitar into the amp. The amp has a great built in gain boost but I rarely use that either.

JCM2000 DSL

I used to have one back in the '00s but it died and then I lost it before I could fix it. I've since had like 4+ Marshall styled amps and now I'm curious what my more educated ear would think of it these days.

Oh, yeah. An OD is a necessity for sure with that one... but it kind of is with any Marshall I've tried.

5150II. I've owned a few OG 5150s and still own a 50w III but I never spent any real time with a II more than a test here and there and never with my current absurd w/d/w rig where I'm curious how it would work for me today versus 10+ years ago when I last played through one briefly.

Oh, yeah. An OD is a necessity for sure with that one... but it kind of is with any Marshall I've tried.
Like @gibson5413 said, if people dig running OD's into high gain amps more power to them but for instance, my JVM410 OD1 Orange, gain at noon, the way I set the tone controls, res and pres, the way I play...I don't have a need for an OD.

Same with any other high gain amp I've owned that has lasted with me for a long time, I just prefer to get what I can out of the amp. Don't get me wrong I grew up (early 80's) running an OD or stacking OD's in front of Marshall 4 input MKII's and JMP's so I'm not anti OD but when rack preamps and then amps started having enough gain without having to use an OD, I loved it and have since.

For shits and giggles I've even busted out some of my old OD's to try and work in with the JVM and messing about it's never lasted more than a few minutes as I love the tone and feel without them.

Back