What’s going on with this Charvel?

What doesn't make sense is that the end of the heel is just a couple mm from the 22nd fret. When did Charvel ever make a neck like this? On every one I've ever seen there is at least a whole fret length of wood between the heel and the 22nd fret. The body meets the neck at more like the 19.5 fret mark than the 20 fret mark like normal.

This might be a fake Charvel after all? :dunno:

4a326883-03c7-4379-b12d-01775bee847d-jpeg.94020

Loosen the locking nut, then loosen the neck screws carefully and take a look at the heel when the screws are backed out enough...if it's a Charvel neck there should be a stamp on the heel. AFAIK they've stamped them since Fender has owned the brand.

What doesn't make sense is that the end of the heel is just a couple mm from the 22nd fret. When did Charvel ever make a neck like this? On every one I've ever seen there is at least a whole fret length of wood between the heel and the 22nd fret. The body meets the neck at more like the 19.5 fret mark than the 20 fret mark like normal.

This might be a fake Charvel after all? :dunno:

4a326883-03c7-4379-b12d-01775bee847d-jpeg.94020
That was my first call. Fake.
Ive never seen any Charvel with 1/2 a fret either side of the truss wheel & the Charvel truss wheel is a fairly new thing like the last 15 years.
The USA Charvel decal looks fake to me too.

I never saw a MIUSA Charvel with a wheel and a cut 22 fret.

I have 3 USA pro mods. I love them. They're not perfect. Don't spend money on the 2000s pro-mods. I have a MIM with the wheel that has lots of 'issues' that is a better guitar in lots of ways.

I'm surprised GC took this in. The GCs around here won't take in any kind of parts guitar with branding on it.
Whatever, hope OP enjoys it and it serves you well on your tour!

I got it to take on tour. I'll be leaving out for Miami day after tomorrow to meet my new band. Just got hired to go on tour, full-time paid gig.
Congrats! Good for you man....and, if the guitar plays/sounds killer that's ALL that matters! When your curiosity is too much, try taking a look at the neck heel.....haha I'm curious as to where the neck came from.

I'm surprised GC took this in. The GCs around here won't take in any kind of parts guitar with branding on it.
Whatever, hope OP enjoys it and it serves you well on your tour!
I think it all depends on the store and who's working....for instance any vintage gear (if recognized) is supposed to have pics taken and sent to the Hollywood GC for their vintage guys to look it over and appraise. But, some items never get that treatment and luckily for us get priced lower than they should.
SCORE!

The hex wheel truss rod was modded afterwards by a hack luthier. That is a mexican charvel san dimas with a decal usa logo added to headstock.

Here is a pic of my old USA san dimas that had a hex wheel added after by a good luthier .......not a hack!

Attachments

• 20180314_105833.jpg
    20180314_105833.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 28
Back