What’s going on with this Charvel?

BigGuitars

I just got this one in from GC used. Can someone tell me what kind of Charvel this is? I don't remember them making one with this combo of features. It's got pickup rings with one volume pot and toggle, no tone pot. recessed floyd. cut out heel for truss wheel. The heel cut out is oddly chopping off the middle part of the 22nd fret, so it's basically just a 21 fret guitar. However, this thing plays badass. It's so comfortable and doesn't argue. It gives back what I put in. Makes me want to play, rather than the usual guitars which make me wonder if I'm getting worse/deteriorating lol

I imagine one could remove the fret wire at the 22nd. glue a piece of maple in there, & re-slot/re-fret it to give it a proper 22nd fret.

Headstock says "Made in USA", while neck plate says "Made in Mexico". Do I have a mutt guitar comprised of parts from multiple models?
49285A9F-69FE-4951-AFC5-CE1B4D9F71A3.png
image.jpg
4A326883-03C7-4379-B12D-01775BEE847D.jpeg
72715FB6-5D1D-47CD-BC88-CA9D6E2A971A.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 56
I had the same exact one back in 09. It was when they were reinventing themselves again and put out made in USA models in different colors. Was a great guitar from what I remember.

I had the same exact one back in 09. It was when they were reinventing themselves again and put out made in USA models in different colors. Was a great guitar from what I remember.
You might have had a similar one, but I don't think these were made in 09. They only made top mount floyds back then, and there was no such thing as the truss wheel cut out (at least not on Charvels). Unless I'm mistaken.

IMO that's a Mexican made Charvel with a fake Charvel logo...no . next to the U in U.S.A. Only top mount Floyds on the 08/09 pro mods; the truss wheel is also a later addition.

IMO that's a Mexican made Charvel with a fake Charvel logo...no . next to the U in U.S.A. Only top mount Floyds on the 08/09 pro mods; the truss wheel is also a later addition.
Didn't even see that there was not dot. Good eye!

So the neck is...what? Aftermarket with a fake logo? Or Mexican with a fake USA logo?

So the wheels can be added on as mods to existing truss rods? Didn't know that. I think I'll try to modify it back to the way it was.

The wheel truss is something they started doing to all Charvels; I'm guessing in 2015? But not exactly sure. So, this probably is just a straight made in Mexico Charvel with an added faux USA logo. They just removed the original logo which would have been a plain Charvel logo with no 'made in' next to it.

partscaster/fake logo.
I don't think it's a part caster. I'm a proponent of the theory that its Mexican disguised as American. One reason I say that is because I've previously owned a 2010s SoCal and the wood grain is exactly like what that guitar had. It's definitely Charvel made.

Good thing they didn't try to dupe me into paying a premium for this on account of the "Made in USA" fakery. I gave $675 for it. It's in great condish

I don't think it's a part caster. I'm a proponent of the theory that its Mexican disguised as American. One reason I say that is because I've previously owned a 2010s SoCal and the wood grain is exactly like what that guitar had. It's definitely Charvel made.

Good thing they didn't try to dupe me into paying a premium for this on account of the "Made in USA" fakery. I gave $675 for it. It's in great condish
I've read of guys finding some gems in the Mexican made line. You know pretty much after you pick any guitar up; even if its got piano wire for strings lol; if the guitar feels right. Hopefully its got good tone too.

If the neck is straight, frets are good/plays good/sounds good its worth it.
If you like it thats all that matters.

It’s a part guitar that looks to be comprised of a Mexican body and a USA neck. USA necks are almost alway quartersawn like yours except for the occasional figured neck.

The truss rod adjuster cutting in to the last fret is definitely something I've never seen before. This is weird as fuck lol

The truss rod adjuster cutting in to the last fret is definitely something I've never seen before. This is weird as fuck lol
That is weird how the notch cuts through the fret almost making this a 21 fret guitar. I just checked Charvels site to compare, no guitars have that adjustment notch cut through the fret. I don’t know what that neck is.

But if it plays good and OP likes it, that’s all that matters.

That is weird how the notch cuts through the fret almost making this a 21 fret guitar. I just checked Charvels site to compare, no guitars have that adjustment notch cut through the fret. I don’t know what that neck is.

But if it plays good and OP likes it, that’s all that matters.
If it is a Charvel neck, you can pull it and look on the heel for markings. After looking at some pics there aren’t any that have the fret chopped like that….but it still could have been added later. But, after going through 25 USA and MiJ Charvels (08-11) I’ve never seen one with the decal in that poor condition plus missing the . in the USA. My bet is still Mexican or aftermarket with the wheel cutout done later

If it plays well, that's awesome...I would just be scared that issues could arise down the road from the "mods" that have been done

If it is a Charvel neck, you can pull it and look on the heel for markings. After looking at some pics there aren’t any that have the fret chopped like that….but it still could have been added later. But, after going through 25 USA and MiJ Charvels (08-11) I’ve never seen one with the decal in that poor condition plus missing the . in the USA. My bet is still Mexican or aftermarket with the wheel cutout done later
I’ve seen this mod on a few guitars where people add the wheel and notch to a standard heel adjust neck. You don’t need to replace the rod, only the end. I think it’s a modded USA neck

You might have had a similar one, but I don't think these were made in 09. They only made top mount floyds back then, and there was no such thing as the truss wheel cut out (at least not on Charvels). Unless I'm mistaken.
Your right, after looking again, I see the heel adjustment now. I thought mine was recessed? I honestly forget now😊

Back