What’s the tightest amp with the biggest low end you’ve played. ?

I really think the Splawn Nitro makes the Mt. Rushmore of amps with more gain and low-end ‘Thump’ on tap than you can reasonably make use of while retaining killer articulation, clarity and string separation.

At this stage of the game I think it’s about finding the tone you like. Some guys dig Marshalls, some 5150s, some Diezels, some Orange.

OP listen to a bunch of clips and find out what you dig as far as tones go, buy an amp and we can help you get it tight as fuck with some boosts.

Thing is...I don't think he was looking for recommendations. I think it is just one of those wide open 'hey, what's everyone's opinion?'

Cool to see so many different opinions right? Life would be pretty boring if everyone had the same answer. :yes:

Thing is...I don't think he was looking for recommendations. I think it is just one of those wide open 'hey, what's everyone's opinion?'

Cool to see so many different opinions right? Life would be pretty boring if everyone had the same answer. :yes:

Post #8 in this thread was him talking about trying to find the ultimate metal tone....I just took that as him wondering about buying a new amp and soliciting opinions here, like we all have.

Post #8 in this thread was him talking about trying to find the ultimate metal tone....I just took that as him wondering about buying a new amp and soliciting opinions here, like we all have.
My bad. Sorry man.

In that case, Dyllheaven88, what is your budget, location, use, are you gigging/recording I mean, and what kind of metal do you play? Who is your favorite guitarist/band? Do you need cleans? Otherwise, to Steinmetzify point, you are going to get all kinds of answers that actually might make your quest harder not easier.

My .311 cents

I really think the Splawn Nitro makes the Mt. Rushmore of amps with more gain and low-end ‘Thump’ on tap than you can reasonably make use of while retaining killer articulation, clarity and string separation.
100% agree. Crazy how it has heaps more low end than a Uber but stays focused unlike the Bogner. Scott is a genius!

Reactions: PDC
The Larry can’t get as much low end as a Wizard MTL? Was hoping it could send that and a few other things packing whenever I finally get one, but if they have more lows then they might have to stick around for me. Does it punch as hard as the MTL or more? That’s the main reason I’ve still kept my Wizard. Larry is still one of the few amps I’ve not yet tried

Maybe the Larry PMM can?

I have this one friend who plays in B Standard. He’s a tech death player and plays riffs faster than anyone I’ve ever seen (even famous guys on YouTube) and of all my amps he sounded best imo on my Wizard MTL, so I can say from that experience it tracks better than my other amps. I think he sounded 2nd best on either my mark no stripe ++ coliseum or Blueface VH4. Those amps also sounded great for his playing. The vast majority of amps really don’t cut it for the type of stuff he does. I’ve heard him on Rev 2 Uber, Herberts, several Engls, block letter 5150 and others and the notes are just too blurry for the riffs he plays in his tunings
Do you have him recorded playing any of these amps in his style? id love to hear it...

I am really curious as to which are the tightest and clearest amps when playing flurry fast notes and it wont sound like mush. Note clarity while able to do brootz to boot.

Last edited:
My bad. Sorry man.

In that case, Dyllheaven88, what is your budget, location, use, are you gigging/recording I mean, and what kind of metal do you play? Who is your favorite guitarist/band? Do you need cleans? Otherwise, to Steinmetzify point, you are going to get all kinds of answers that actually might make your quest harder not easier.

My .311 cents
It’s a little of both ! I’m curious to see what everyone’s ultimate metal tone is ! I’ve been on the tone hunt for a good while . Having owned a few of these builders mentioned . Wizard mc25 diezel Einstein / lil Fokker , ksr ares . Etc I’m looking to see what everyone’s exp and opinions are . Awesome posts so far !

Do you have him recorded playing any of these amps in his style? id love to hear it...

I am really curious as to which are the tightest and clearest amps when playing flurry fast notes and it wont sound like mush. Note clarity while able to do brootz to boot.
I don't. He might have some clips on his Instagram, but they'd just be iPhone recordings I think

100% agree. Crazy how it has heaps more low end than a Uber but stays focused unlike the Bogner. Scott is a genius!
This. I slightly regret getting rid of my Nitro, but I am somewhat happier with a 5150/6505 just because I feel it’s a tad more versatile and also less picky with speakers

This. I slightly regret getting rid of my Nitro, but I am somewhat happier with a 5150/6505 just because I feel it’s a tad more versatile and also less picky with speakers
That’s about the only thing that drives me crazy about the nitro as well. SUPER picky with speakers. It seems to be solely designed only for speakers in the greenback family. It has to something in the mids of that amp.

This. 525v B+. It’s insanely loud and aggressive. The ultimate mystery mod.

Attachments

• E24D11FD-3A4F-4665-AF27-A8D75EADC698.jpeg
    E24D11FD-3A4F-4665-AF27-A8D75EADC698.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 52
Of all the amps through my door, the biggest low end has to be the Triple F. Wasn't super tight though...the C+ Coliseum has huge low end also and tighter than the Recto..and is METAL all day. Metal from the first riff I played through it when I got it back from Mike B. But the Recto had a metric ton of low end, just a wall of crushing tidal wave low end. Of all the modded Marshalls the Monomyth had the most usable low end, and stayed tight too.
But the winner for metal in my experience with what I've owned is the C+ Coliseum. It was made for crushing metal tones...it'll do much more than that, but metal tones are a natural fit for it. The Wizards I've had are also very tight and had plenty of usable low end, easily copping good metal tones with a boost...but it's not a 'natural' metal amp like the Coliseum is IMO.
VHT D120 is also a great amp for tight crushing low end..but I'd put it 4th behind the Coli, Triple and Wizard for metal. Monomyth is right behind them...just not as 'huge' sounding as those others.

All this talk about everyone finding these tones from the same amps that are mostly being discussed, really makes me want to hear some audio clips. Is the OP question regarding recorded tones, or just playing in front of the amp? Please people if you can, post these crushing tones you're speaking of, whether it be things you've recorded or some bands' albums!

Of all the amps through my door, the biggest low end has to be the Triple F. Wasn't super tight though...the C+ Coliseum has huge low end also and tighter than the Recto..and is METAL all day. Metal from the first riff I played through it when I got it back from Mike B. But the Recto had a metric ton of low end, just a wall of crushing tidal wave low end. Of all the modded Marshalls the Monomyth had the most usable low end, and stayed tight too.
But the winner for metal in my experience with what I've owned is the C+ Coliseum. It was made for crushing metal tones...it'll do much more than that, but metal tones are a natural fit for it. The Wizards I've had are also very tight and had plenty of usable low end, easily copping good metal tones with a boost...but it's not a 'natural' metal amp like the Coliseum is IMO.
VHT D120 is also a great amp for tight crushing low end..but I'd put it 4th behind the Coli, Triple and Wizard for metal. Monomyth is right behind them...just not as 'huge' sounding as those others.
Yeah even with the C mod, my Triple Rev F/C isn’t that tight, but imo it’s meant more for things like big, fat fire breathing power chords. My no stripe coli ++ has more lows than my Triple Rev F/C and tighter, but my 2 blue stripe ++ coli’s don’t have as much low end as the Triple, but very tight, tighter than my no stripe ++ coli. Mike B told me he had to mod my no stripe a little differently than what he normally does like with my blue stripe colis to get the ++ mod, but whatever he did worked out great because it overall smokes my blue stripe colis imo, except for cleans and the blues being a bit tighter and brighter/more biting. The colis are instant metal satisfaction since they have that complete blend of being very tight and big, even if not as big as the blueface or Hiwatt, or as tight as my ccv, they have a good balance

That white Monomyth was also the tightest modded Marshall I’ve tried. Almost as tight as my ccv. For metal my coliseum no stripe ++ would be my overall favorite and runner ups would be a tie I think between the Triple Rev F/C, Blueface and maybe also Naylor with the right boost like a Klon. The Badlander is actually growing on me too. Even though it’s a newer amp and sounds like it, I find it very satisfying to play

Last edited:
Back