What a snare should sound like

Any song off of Deftones self titled album
True!
One of my absolute favorites, just f'n killer
and on point.
That snare sound gets me fired up to play.

I should add, the OG bass guitar player was SUPER DOPE and knew how to syncopate with
the drummers snare & kick drum like butter on the potatoes.
He knew where to put that bass guitar note that sounds like a kick, right between the kick & snare.
RAD!!!!!

Last edited:
Better mention AVH and the gray circled
snare skin.
I have to mention it because that's the one
I play.
As a kid, I danced to this drum skin and air guitar'ed away the bullies in my mind..
Now I play those same one's I was listening to then..hindsight?..too many magic mushrooms?
Screw that! "Janies Cryin'"...

Nobody was as 'greasy' as Al.

One of my biggest inspirations, this bad ass pocket drummer here.
My wife & I split up for a while, I went and completely changed my life for the better.
But it wasn't enough.., a lot more healing
was to come that only the healing hands of
time can reveal..this song was the one that carried me through those seasons..

Anyways, KILLER snare sound with this dude..
What a beautiful array of sounds grooming
the inner landscapes...LOL!
Geez, do I need to get a room...with myself?LOL

One of my biggest inspirations, this bad ass pocket drummer here.
My wife & I split up for a while, I went and completely changed my life for the better.
But it wasn't enough.., a lot more healing
was to come that only the healing hands of
time can reveal..this song was the one that carried me through those seasons..

Anyways, KILLER snare sound with this dude..
What a beautiful array of sounds grooming
the inner landscapes...LOL!
Geez, do I need to get a room...with myself?LOL

RIP Bryan St Pere. Super nice guy, and absolute monster drummer. More influential than he would ever believe.

The boat hasn't left the dock yet...
Yet another glowing example why the type of music & vibe are key factors MrSmashed.
This particular snare sound is to stay
out of the way, keep it balanced with the
other drums because 'something else' is more important.

-Staying taunt keeps you alive in Slipknot.-

"The Jimi Hendrix of metal drumming"
with this one.
I owe a lot to you Joey RIP.

As I mentioned prior, "The Wanton Song".
is my benchmark BONHAM snare tone & strike.
However...this one...damn man..LIBERATION.

*Check the Jonsey' amazing pre-chorus
bass guitar line & buttery groove*

No wonder I play a Black Beauty snare!
I did have to send two of them back
to find the diamond.

Last edited:
Last one, I promise dude's.
For me, this is a SICK groove just
devasting..I can smell the flies..
I played this song so many times while practicing
on the drums, that this particular type of
hard on the percussive, deep pounding evil groove battering on the snare & toms' is now a generous portion of my sons style on the drums.
GNARLY GOOD snare sound.

Last edited:
Not just the snare but Dave Lombardo's entire kit always sounds natural. His attitude is anti trigger, anti sample, anti quantization and his style is immediately recognizable. There is a certain signature sound to his double bass flurries, cymbal work, drum rolls and snare attack that despite the high speed (which usually leaves less room for individuality to shine through) that is always Dave.

Not just the snare but Dave Lombardo's entire kit always sounds natural. His attitude is anti trigger, anti sample, anti quantization and his style is immediately recognizable. There is a certain signature sound to his double bass flurries, cymbal work, drum rolls and snare attack that despite the high speed (which usually leaves less room for individuality to shine through) that is always Dave.

Yes absolutely. One of my fave drummers and his sound has always been natural. Even in the era of hyper quantize and sample, he still sounds like he is playing those clear emperors around the kit.

Lots of great examples so far; this is still my fav studio snare (and overall drums) sound on record. Cymbals are clear but not overbearing, kick drum has balls, snare has a full and not heavily gated or overly "top mic heavy" sound (I like hearing the brushes..so many mixes seem to focus on the stick attack) :

Beats the Hell out of me bro'.

Had to click on Back in Black. It just never gets old. What a masterpiece.
They have too many masterpieces. What's funny is I love AC/DC yet can only play a few of their songs. They were never a band I wanted to learn for guitar. I just enjoyed listening. :rock:

They have too many masterpieces. What's funny is I love AC/DC yet can only play a few of their songs. They were never a band I wanted to learn for guitar. I just enjoyed listening. :rock:
Jinx on all points brother, except that I can't play any.

Never taught myself anyone else's song on guitar, ever. As a teen when I first picked up the bass I taught myself 2 songs - Rapper's Delight by The Sugarhill Gang and Planet Earth by Duran Duran.

To this day those are the only songs I've learned on any instrument. My philosophy is about keeping a clean slate for writing, so my attitude to practicing is the same. Don't wanna be repeating muscle-memory tricks or others' ideas and whatnot.

Back