What a snare should sound like

My favorite snare sounds are definitely from the late 70's and early 80's. Right as they were adding more room sound and reverb but hadn't gone full retard yet with the huge gated monstrosities from 84-85 onward (in hair metal anyway). But also some of the big band recordings from the 60's have amazing snare sounds. Just crackin'. As long as I feel I'm hearing a natural drum that isn't too choked out I'm pretty happy.

Clutch always ticks that box for me

...Even though it uses the white noise trick as Andy Wallace did it, the first Rage album snare is amazing and Helmet's Meantime and Betty are standout's for me too.

Great snare sounds from Pop, new wave and punk bands in the earlier 80's and alternative bands through the 80's.

Last edited:
To be fair, it depends on which snare sound
for which style imho.
-Beast Mode Sal here,
that's a KILLER Hardcore set up drum set!
For Hardcore,his snare sound is about as good as it get's.., and yes Smashed, he can actually play them.
Some dude's use 2 snare's in the same set.
Example: David Silveria the OG drummer from
KORN, Freak On A Leash.
Silveria is my #1 dude.

I always liked Mike Bordin from Faith No More and his snare sound

Forgot how amazing that album is. You are right, that snare and that drum kit sounds like a REAL kit. I think the key is not tuning the snare too low and using a 1 ply head. That sounds like the standard ambassador with just a bit of ring control. Allows it to do what it does best. Cut.

No offense man, but it's pretty easy to make a snare sound that good when there's nothing else in the mix lol

As a guitar player, I know nothing about a good snare sound, but these tracks are immediately what come to mind when I think of a snare drum.

It's still very likely a sample but at least it does sound like a snare. I don't have the patience to sit there blending levels with 4 different snare sounds like they seem to do now.
I can almost guarantee thats not he case here.

Back