What are the biggest-sounding 2x12's?

LP Freak":1vgf3m1q said:
swamptrashstompboxes":1vgf3m1q said:
Could you tolerate two Mesa Thiele cabs? They sound great, especially with the EVM-12L.

But I have never mic'd one.
I have 2 Thiele cabinets and stacked they get more low end than my 1960B’s

Definitely
I would get two of those over a 2x12 any day tbh.

swamptrashstompboxes":2oo02m0k said:
I wish that someone made a 2x12" comparable to a Thiele. I suppose it could easily be tune with the port tuning/volume, etc.

Tonestar will build you a thiele ported 2x12 - similar time the Dr. Z ‘Z-Best’ ported 2x12.

I’ve got a Tonestar loaded with a pair of Heritage 30-watt speakers: 1 55hz and 1 75hz. It runs 16 ohm mono and can run 8 ohm / 8 ohm if you are running a stereo rig. The Tonestar is my ‘go to’ cab. It makes any amp sound incredible.

Here it is with my Mod5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FUpXssw4kA

Bogner 212C. Yes it's not that much lower than a 4x12, but the difference matters a lot in terms of portability, and the weight is also considerably less. It sounds awesome as well.

Only 2x12 that compares to a 4x12 that I've owned is the older Mesa metal grill halfback cab. I've had 2 and they easily keep up with a 4x12.

I’ve had a bunch of 212s over the years.

Our to all of them, the Marshal 1936 was my least favorite.
The best one for me bar none is the Bogner 212CB. That cab was incredible and I’m sorry that I ever sold it but the buyer wouldn’t purchase the amp without me including the 212 for an extra cost.

I just sold my Mesa 212 horizontal. That was a solid cab as well. After owning that one I changed my mind on how I felt about a few others that I had.

The Friedman 212 was a good cab. It was built very well and it sounded very similar to the Bogner 212OS which I really don’t like all that much. Again, it was a good sounding cab but nothing stellar.

I just picked up a new EVH 50s 212 and I pulled one of the H30s out and replaced it with a V30. I got it to match my new 50s head. I cut in a couple of medium metal side handles into it for easier transport and added a thin layer of batting along the rear baffle. My goodness what a difference! Lots of bottom and the 2 speakers actually work very well together.

Those Zilla cabs look very, very nice as well. Also wanted to try the the DrZ 212. Wish I was able to try one but nothing around here.

I have a Marshall 1936 vintage cab.I really love it. It sounds great with any amp I plug into it. I've heard they have changed them up a few times though. I had a Splawn 2x12 with cream back 65's that really sounded great and filled the room but I was coming from an Orange 2x12 which was very beamy if that makes sense. Like if you had to be directly in front of it

Seems like the Bogner is a favorite around here.

So is the Bogner CB bigger-sounding than the OS? I would think the depth has something to do with it. Wouldn't it be better for the low end for the cab to be deeper rather than taller?

Rex Rocker":1b9huydv said:
Seems like the Bogner is a favorite around here.

So is the Bogner CB bigger-sounding than the OS? I would think the depth has something to do with it. Wouldn't it be better for the low end for the cab to be deeper rather than taller?

God dammit, I used the wrong product name in my earlier post. I'm talking about the 212C, the thing that is like a slightly lower 4x12. The 212OS is their Shiva style cabinet, which is shallower. The 212CB (notice the extra B?), is deeper than the 212C, but also quite a bit lower. It has less internal volume than the 212C (non B) version, so it will not move air the same way.

I think most people recommending the "oversized" Bogner cab are talking about the 212C.

Bogner OS 2x12 is the same width and deepness as a 1960B and is exactly 5” shorter.
Mine is loaded with 75w Creambacks.
My 2555x loves this cab

I have three of those old Boogie vertical 2x12's and really like them. They sound great. The bottom and top are separate in those. The bottom is basically a thiele 1x12 ported cab, while the top is normally an openback cab, though you can put a back on them to tighten things up.

The Bogner is good, but s as many pointed out, it’s about as large as a full 4x12.

I would recommend the Spawn 2x12 with Smallblocks. I had one and it’s the only cab I ever regretted selling. It was huge sounding

I have a vertical Splawn 2x12 with small locks. Sounds great to me, but I imagine that the horizontal ones are different.

Really Is isn't always the best option IMO. I understand wanting to compensate having two drivers instead of four.

Also if it's an OS 2x12 but is only 5" shorter is it really that different from a size perspective. 1960's don't fetch much money and some of the mentioned cabs are near a grand.

I have not had exposure to a lot of these cabs, but I will stick to my two Thiele Mesa cabs w/EV drivers idea. Even one sounds huge. You could sit them next to each other
At a gig you could place them in two different spots to cover more area.

I really do see a lot of quality in my Splawn can, and I like the small blocks too.

I have a vertical Splawn 2x12 with small locks. Sounds great to me, but I imagine that the horizontal ones are different.

Really Is isn't always the best option IMO. I understand wanting to compensate having two drivers instead of four.

Also if it's an OS 2x12 but is only 5" shorter is it really that different from a size perspective. 1960's don't fetch much money and some of the mentioned cabs are near a grand.

I have not had exposure to a lot of these cabs, but I will stick to my two Thiele Mesa cabs w/EV drivers idea. Even one sounds huge. You could sit them next to each other
At a gig you could place them in two different spots to cover more area.

I really do see a lot of quality in my Splawn can, and I like the small blocks too.

My favorite “factory” 2x12 was HANDS DOWN the EVH. It is a baby 2x12 in stature , but it sounds killer! That being said , I took a Marshall MC cab , and put two EVH Greenbacks and it is my go to now. The cab KILLS! I sold the factory speakers for $100 or so , and now I’ve got maybe $400 into the best sounding 2x12 I’ve ever jammed

Back