What Are Y’all Using to Re-Amp?

skoora

I was looking at the Radial stuff like the J48 DI box and one of their re-amp boxes. Looking at over $400. Any cheap solutions that actually work well? I’m using a Focusrite interface with Mac/Logic.

Little labs red eye… absolutely no question if you can stretch 270 or so new, around 225 or so used. Trust me on this one… check it out, it’s an absolutely fantastic unit that is as clean and accurate as it comes. I used one for quite some time, only sold it becsuse I wanted a rack mount unit, that’s it. It rules , period. And is super versitile on its routing/options.

Little labs red eye… absolutely no question if you can stretch 270 or so new, around 225 or so used. Trust me on this one… check it out, it’s an absolutely fantastic unit that is as clean and accurate as it comes. I used one for quite some time, only sold it becsuse I wanted a rack mount unit, that’s it. It rules , period. And is super versitile on its routing/options.
This one?
Red Eye

I got an IK multimedia And I/O as a new interface last year and it has a dedicated reamping output on the front. Super convenient and does the job well

In regards to the Little Labs Red Eye, I had to send mine back. Read my review below:

The Redeye 3d is a fantastic little DI/Reamp box with a glaring flaw that forced me to return it: the signal attenuation on the reamp out is just too drastic.

I am using an Audient id14 interface and the line outputs are +12db max output. Even with the reamp overdrive circuit engaged (which adds 10db) my reamp signal was too weak to match the DI signal (easy to toggle back and forth with the DI/reamp button). This was with a healthy amount of preamp gain (levels peaking at -10db). I had to increase the hardware output levels in my DAW by about 6db to get unity, but this started clipping my converters.

I spoke with Jonathan at Little Labs and he confirmed that +12db max output is too weak and that this device was designed with things like analog tape machines in mind with upwards of +24db max output. Long story short, check your interface specs and make sure the outputs can do at least +18db. Just trying to save you some headache!

In regards to the Little Labs Red Eye, I had to send mine back. Read my review below:

The Redeye 3d is a fantastic little DI/Reamp box with a glaring flaw that forced me to return it: the signal attenuation on the reamp out is just too drastic.

I am using an Audient id14 interface and the line outputs are +12db max output. Even with the reamp overdrive circuit engaged (which adds 10db) my reamp signal was too weak to match the DI signal (easy to toggle back and forth with the DI/reamp button). This was with a healthy amount of preamp gain (levels peaking at -10db). I had to increase the hardware output levels in my DAW by about 6db to get unity, but this started clipping my converters.

I spoke with Jonathan at Little Labs and he confirmed that +12db max output is too weak and that this device was designed with things like analog tape machines in mind with upwards of +24db max output. Long story short, check your interface specs and make sure the outputs can do at least +18db. Just trying to save you some headache!

Fair enough. I never ran into this issue, but I could understand why it would be a problem for sure. I DID run into that issue with the IK multimedia I/O mentioned above though however.

With a capable interface, the Red Eye is probably the best value for what it has to offer. However, if you're looking for the absolute king of reamping - Creation Audio Labs MW1 Studio Tool.

Analog tape machines? That makes sense. Make a device to optimally interface with equipment no one has used in 10 plus years. (I know, still in use at some studios, but even then rarely used).

Last edited:
With a capable interface, the Red Eye is probably the best value for what it has to offer. However, if you're looking for the absolute king of reamping - Creation Audio Labs MW1 Studio Tool.

This is what I bought as well, and it is no doubt unreal sounding!

Analog tape machines? That makes sense. Make a devixe to optimally interface with equipment no one has used in 10 plus years. (I know, still in use at some studios, but even then rarely used).
My thoughts as well, but these were the words straight from the designer's mouth. I could have kept the Red Eye and just upgraded my interface. But instead, like a good little gear whore I upgraded my interface to the iD22 and bought an MW1 Studio Tool :cool:

I have one of the cheaper Radial ProRMP. It had a pad hard wired to the pot. I removed those and swapped the pot. It gets a decent signal to the amp.

I had the same problem...

I have one of the cheaper Radial ProRMP. It had a pad hard wired to the pot. I removed those and swapped the pot. It gets a decent signal to the amp.
any pixs of that ? sounds like something id like to do..thanks

QKjTFuO.jpg

155, the pot is a mini Alpha 10K. That terminal strip is the bottom half of the old pot.

Reactions: 155
This is what I bought as well, and it is no doubt unreal sounding!
Damn, I’m sure it’s good but $800…ouch. Just want to do some for fun. Definitely not professionally. I’ll have to see if my Focusrite can generate sufficient output for the red eye.

Damn, I’m sure it’s good but $800…ouch. Just want to do some for fun. Definitely not professionally. I’ll have to see if my Focusrite can generate sufficient output for the red eye.

They definitely aren’t cheap… for what it’s worth they accepted my offer on reverb for 695 or so. But it IS investment for sure. I mean I’m not a pro either, but anyone that knows me on here will tell you I’m obsessive and want to do the best I can and won’t quit until I get it. I’ve always been that way and it’s just the way I’m wired with this stuff. The MW1 to me is the absolute best of the best. Not only does it capture the best DI you possibly can for bass or guitar ( in my opinion), but it has fantastic options for matching the impedence level of the DI as well as clean boosting it into your amp if you feel the need. Im
Lucky enough to have the income to do what I want to do gear wise and I would LOVE to do this professionally, and may test the waters on that someday, so for me it was a great fit.

The reality is you may never realize how great the MW does if you haven’t reamped much. Capturing a quality DI is decently easy to do in todays world, but every step of the chain there is often degradation. Whether it is at the DI capture level or the reamp level, conversion matters when the original analog signal gets shoved back and forth between the digital and analog world, and this is a fantastic way to retain as much as you can from the analog world before going into the amp and eventually converting it to a digital signal, to me anyways :)

Back