What cabinets are you using?

Bash_Man

Hello Splawn section.. hope everyone is well. Currently I am using a Splawn nitro that I've had since about 2008 and have owned other amps and ended up selling them all and going back to my Nitro.

Currently I am using a Splawn 412 with all vintage 30 speakers. But for easy of transportation and space reduction, I was looking at some of those Vertical 212 cabinets like the Vertical Mesa Rectifier 212 cabient or Even the MojoTone British series vertical 212.

Wanted to see what everyone is using Cabinet/speakers with their Nitro or other Splawn amps.

Thanks

I have several cabinets but thought both my current Splawns sounded pretty damn good through a Orange closed back 2x12 with Vintage 30's.

I've gone through 4 cabs with my Splawn SuperSport
Marshall JCM800 with first edition G12T-75's
Mesa 2X12 Recto
Mojotone vertical 2X12 that I've had just about every speaker in since I got it , (now has Scumback M75/J75 combo)
Splawn 2x12 with 25 watt Small blocks
The Marshall and Mesa cabs are gone , the Splawn 2X12 is a pretty kick ass little 2X12, it has the same dimensions as the Mesa cab but is 2" taller.
The Mojotone cab throws really well, but it's an odd cab. I don't love it at low volume sitting right next to it , I much prefer it with the Band at volume. I've had Greenbacks, and Creamback M-65's in it as well as the G12T-75 and V30 mix. the Scumbacks have sounded the best in it.
I opened it up a bit today at home with my 7 string (had to try it with the splawn, I hadn't gotten around to it yet) and the Mojotone sounded very good . Tight enough bottom end, the Scumback combo is unique to me as it's the first speaker combo I've ever used that sounds great straight on, not harsh or overly bright at all, I think I credit that to the M75 up top as it's quite a bit darker than the J75. I'm tempted to get another pair and put them in the Splawn cab , but surprisingly I really like the Small blocks with the Splawn head. they work well together.

1960B with Greenbacks for me. Have had the QR for a few months now and have not plugged it into anything else.

I do have a 1960A with V30's and a Friedman SS 4X12 that I am going to try this weekend with the QR though. Just had a Radial Headbone land so looking forward to A/B'ing some cabs.

Splawn 212 w 55w Small Blocks

n678Cfc.jpg

1960B with Greenbacks for me. Have had the QR for a few months now and have not plugged it into anything else.

I do have a 1960A with V30's and a Friedman SS 4X12 that I am going to try this weekend with the QR though. Just had a Radial Headbone land so looking forward to A/B'ing some cabs.

I love the Friedman 4x12s. Let us know how you go!

So I yanked the Scumbacks out of my Mojotone last night and dropped in a pair of UK made Greenbacks and surprisingly at home volume levels I like them better than the Scumbacks. They seem to pair up better with the 25 watt Small blocks in my Splawn cab, sounds more like a 4X12 now.
Now this i sat home volume levels , I have another rehearsal this next Saturday and I'll try them out and see what I think, I did like the Scumbacks but they seem to need volume to come alive. I have a 65 watt M75 and a 100 watt J75, maybe the J75 has to go and I should grab another 65 watt M75. I've been putting off getting a 4X12 cab because I really don't need one but I may just grab an Empty one and start experimenting so I have a nice loud "outdoor" cab if nothing else :)

39289F74-9603-40AA-B32C-F4064F3D6414.jpeg

Picked a 4x12 first gen 75’s sounds great in the house, I'm going to try it at rehearsal on Saturday but I already know scumback m75’s on top and J75’s on bottom are going in next week

Last edited:
Rehearsal went great man I love havinga 4x12 on stage again, can’t wait to get the scum backs in there

Last edited:
Just got some pics from Jeff Swanson he's almost done, just finishing up the new Baltic birch back panel.
looks so much better I can't wait to plug into this beast
new Grill cloth and badged
QVUvRHf.jpg

new side handles (the ones that were on there were barely hanging on)
TWniwyv.jpg

Scumbacks
jeAYs87.jpg

Just got some pics from Jeff Swanson he's almost done, just finishing up the new Baltic birch back panel.
looks so much better I can't wait to plug into this beast
new Grill cloth and badged
QVUvRHf.jpg

new side handles (the ones that were on there were barely hanging on)
TWniwyv.jpg

Scumbacks
jeAYs87.jpg
she's looking sexy.. very nice!

How does the Quickrod compare to the Suhr PT100?

They're both great in their own way. The QR is tighter and punchier. It's probably my favorite gain channel on any amp I've ever heard. The PT100 has a gorgeous clean channel and I like the dirty channel for lower gain stuff. I actually have my PT100 listed for sale and am hoping to replace it with a Hedgehog.

Back