What cabs are you using these days?

maddnotez

Banned
After scouring for particular used cabs I think I may need to end up buying new. Was curious what people are using.

I was looking for a Mesa Traditional Stiletto or an Uberkab. Tbh the main reason to get the Uber is because I plan to buy the new amp when it's out.

I do however specifically recall hearing one of the guys here playing the Cali through a Friedman cab and it sounded great so I started thinking what else is out there highly regarded.

I pretty much play modern metal only and have also been considering an Engl but ehhh which cab should I get thread is lame.

What heads are you planning to run through and do you have a budget you're trying to work with? Open to new and/or used?

Fyette FB 412 is pretty badass. I've been playing an EVH for years, but after a bunch of a/bing with the same speakers swapped between the two determined the FB has more low end, is punchier, and has more presence. The common theme on most forums is the the FB cab is very "laserbeam" focused and that it doesn't project sound to the sides, but my experience is opposite. Seems to fill the room more than the EVH next to it. Maybe it was those PE50s they used to come with that made it so "laserbeam"

What heads are you planning to run through and do you have a budget you're trying to work with? Open to new and/or used?
Im open to new or used. But I want something nice and well regarded brand wise.

Trying to keep the "testing" cabs to a minimal. I just ordered a Caparison Dellinger 7 string and I plan to get the new Uberschall when it's out.

Ive had or spent time with VHT, Mills Acoustics, Uberkab, Mesa OS, Avatar and have Frankensteined some old Peavey cabs with v30 x 75.

Currently cnsidering trying a different/new to me brand before I get an Uber or Stiletto.

Fyette FB 412 is pretty badass. I've been playing an EVH for years, but after a bunch of a/bing with the same speakers swapped between the two determined the FB has more low end, is punchier, and has more presence. The common theme on most forums is the the FB cab is very "laserbeam" focused and that it doesn't project sound to the sides, but my experience is opposite. Seems to fill the room more than the EVH next to it. Maybe it was those PE50s they used to come with that made it so "laserbeam"
Yea man those VHT cabs are interesting. I had the D412 with P50e. It is to this day the tightest and most lazerbeam cab I have ever played and their description is that the FB cab is even more lazer beam so I never cared to try one.

Its funny because at that time I also had a Peavey MS412 with a particle board back. Had the V30 x 75 and it literally blew the VHT cab away.

I will say adding the VHT cab as a full stack made it sound absolutely incredible but a full stack is just not practical for me. So yeah idk if it's the cab or the speakers but the VHT cab didn't blow me away.

Was probably the P50s on their own idk. But I do like a cab that fills the room vs being a lazerbeam.

Interesting you experienced that with the D412...must be those PE50s because most folks report those cabs as being extremely room filling with tons of dispersal.

This FB is brand new and came with F70s which were good, but I swapped them for F90s and like those more. I do want to try greenbacks in there and eventually K100s and V30s. I was surprised to discover the rear panel on the FB is MDF. Don't know if they've always been, but the new ones are.

I have 5: all sound vastly different.

Mesa OS
Bogner Uber Cab
Marshall 1960BV
Engl 4x12 with 65 watt creambacks
1978 Marshall checked slant with greenbacks .

The Mesa, Engl, and Marshall get the most use for tracking with me.

I have a '93 Mesa OS, older 8-ohm rearloaded Bogner UberKab, and an '82 1960a with G12-65s.

The 1960 gets the most use, since I prefer it with Marshall-type amps. Sounds good with 5150-type amps too.

The Mesa OS does it's thing and I enjoy it sometimes but sometimes it's just not what I want.

The Uberkab is sorta a nice middle ground. Does well with vintage-ish amps as well as the more modern ones. Just wish it was a slant cab. I really don't like straights.

My main cabs have been the FB412 with P50E's... which gets good burn with my Fryette heads. I put my Diezel on top of a Genz Benz G-Flex that I loaded with K85's which sounds killer.

At home I run my Helix into a PS-2 into a Mesa Thiele.

Happy with all of it and all are gig-worthy whenever I start doing that again.

PXL_20210403_201630283.jpg

My main rig. Red Plate makes the best "1960" style cabs I've tried. I bought it unloaded and put my own ancient 1990s V30s in it.

It sounds fantastic with everything I've ever tried it with.

I have to admit though, the fatbottom with fanes is intriguing. Not a fan of the p50e's.

I had a D cab with p50s. Worst cab I’d ever played through. Maybe the speakers were shot. Ran it with both the 60 and 120 I had.
I have a Mesa Traditional slant that sounds great with my Triple. That said, if you find a Rivera 4x12 with V30s jump on it. I had one 5 yrs ago and it sounded identical to my Traditional. Less money too.

I had a D cab with p50s. Worst cab I’d ever played through. Maybe the speakers were shot. Ran it with both the 60 and 120 I had.
I have a Mesa Traditional slant that sounds great with my Triple. That said, if you find a Rivera 4x12 with V30s jump on it. I had one 5 yrs ago and it sounded identical to my Traditional. Less money too.
Any particular model Rivera that you can remember?

The Mesa Traditional is a great cab. Ive had mine the longest out of any other. With that being said my Bogner rear loaded is slowly becoming my favorite. The Mesa is great but can be a little bit dark and midrange forward. So it depends on what you are going for. The Splawn 4x12s are great as well.

I play through a mills...like the one you were just selling
The Mills was probably my all time favorite. I had it for several years and never thought I'd sell but it's ridiculously heavy and idk, would like to try something new to me. Really gassing for the Mesa.

Hardware cabs that have been with me forever:
Fryette Deliverance (Cantrell speaker setup)
Diezel FL-K100
Bogner OS412
Bogner UberKab

Software is where I've been 99% of my time past 4 months - a la TwoNotes CaptorX:
DynIRs - they're incredible - period.

Back